tried the QSCk12 live and did NOT like it:urgent help needed

Re: tried the QSCk12 live and did NOT like it:urgent help ne

I've tried my Atomic Wedges side by side with a pair of K12s. To me, the Atomics sounded much better, especially on tones that were hard hitting.
I want to believe that it is because they are made of birch plywood like a guitar cab, but there are probably a number of reasons.

shasha said:
Isn't FRFR supposed to be similar to monitors? I know that different monitors sound differently, but you should at least be able to dial in something decent with some tweaking.
Dutch said:
And Shasha, it's just that some monitors really do sound bad. Awful. There are some criminally awful monitors out there. <snip> And some monitors are OK, but just have something that does not cooperate well with the Axe-FX. Real FRFR doesn not exist in monitorworld. Maybe really expensive.
Monitors are designed to go loud, be cheap and sound good at the same time, if you get two out of three you're lucky. (Trying to quote Jay Mitchell but it's to late here to go get the real quote). And we're all putting things under microscopes here.
To build on what Dutch said. . . .

FRFR = Full Range, Flat Response. Ideally, studio monitors, stage wedges, FOH systems and the products we're talking about in this thread would all have a high degree of fidelity and be completely flat from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz. In the real world that is not the case, sometimes purposefully, sometimes not. For example, some monitor wedges alter the mids so vocals will cut through more easily (good if you're a singer; not good if you want FRFR). Other products attempt to be FRFR but don't achieve this either due to poor design or compromises required to meet a price point.

Can I achieve a decent sound from anything that's suppose to be FRFR? That depends on how much fidelity compromise has been made, what the compromise is and how the sound I'm trying to create will overlay that.

In my case it's important for a patch to translate well between my studio monitors and my portable FRFR solution. If I remove that requirement and use one of the "OK" monitors Dutch notes, I can likely dial up a patch I like. I will unconsciously work around the fidelity issues as I build the patch. However, if I were to create the same sound from scratch on a higher end system with greater fidelity, it should sound better.

To me, it's important to understand the real world issues with FRFR and then choose what you want to trade-off. I would prefer to spend $3K on a solution. Instead I'm working on better ways to compensate for the non-linearity in my current FRFR solution. That might get me close enough. If not, I'll have to spend some money. What constitutes "close enough" is probably different for everyone.

BTW. . . FRFR is new territory for many guitar players, and there's a learning curve. It goes counter to all that we've learned searching for speakers, preamps, power amps, etc. that "colour" the sound in a pleasing way. The bottom line is that the AxeFX does all of that now (the colouration), and the ideal FRFR solution adds NO colouration when amplifying the AxeFX signal.

Terry.

Tone Seeker said:
shasha said:
Isn't FRFR supposed to be similar to monitors? I know that different monitors sound differently, but you should at least be able to dial in something decent with some tweaking.
Dutch said:
And Shasha, it's just that some monitors really do sound bad. Awful. There are some criminally awful monitors out there. <snip> And some monitors are OK, but just have something that does not cooperate well with the Axe-FX. Real FRFR doesn not exist in monitorworld. Maybe really expensive.
Monitors are designed to go loud, be cheap and sound good at the same time, if you get two out of three you're lucky. (Trying to quote Jay Mitchell but it's to late here to go get the real quote). And we're all putting things under microscopes here.
To build on what Dutch said. . . .

FRFR = Full Range, Flat Response. Ideally, studio monitors, stage wedges, FOH systems and the products we're talking about in this thread would all have a high degree of fidelity and be completely flat from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz. In the real world that is not the case, sometimes purposefully, sometimes not. For example, some monitor wedges alter the mids so vocals will cut through more easily (good if you're a singer; not good if you want FRFR). Other products attempt to be FRFR but don't achieve this either due to poor design or compromises required to meet a price point.

Can I achieve a decent sound from anything that's suppose to be FRFR? That depends on how much fidelity compromise has been made, what the compromise is and how the sound I'm trying to create will overlay that.

In my case it's important for a patch to translate well between my studio monitors and my portable FRFR solution. If I remove that requirement and use one of the "OK" monitors Dutch notes, I can likely dial up a patch I like. I will unconsciously work around the fidelity issues as I build the patch. However, if I were to create the same sound from scratch on a higher end system with greater fidelity, it should sound better.

To me, it's important to understand the real world issues with FRFR and then choose what you want to trade-off. I would prefer to spend $3K on a solution. Instead I'm working on better ways to compensate for the non-linearity in my current FRFR solution. That might get me close enough. If not, I'll have to spend some money. What constitutes "close enough" is probably different for everyone.

BTW. . . FRFR is new territory for many guitar players, and there's a learning curve. It goes counter to all that we've learned searching for speakers, preamps, power amps, etc. that "colour" the sound in a pleasing way. The bottom line is that the AxeFX does all of that now (the colouration), and the ideal FRFR solution adds NO colouration when amplifying the AxeFX signal.

Terry.
Oew! Nicely said. And so concise. Thank you.

Indeed the purpose is to translate the tone from really good FRFR (f.i. studiomonitors) as good as possible to the stage. So we need to work out the compromise. A guitar cab won't come close to that purpose, but if that's what you need, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom