Tried FRFR for first time with QSC K10....shreeeeek!

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I use a mesa amp and cab usually. Was at practice and tried another members k10 and just used stock presets. Shrill as hell.... 1st time trying FRFR and was majorly dissappointed. Wasn't even in the realm of being usable or brown sounding

Did you enable amps and cab modeling? They would normally be off when used with your mesa and cab.

here's some advice on another thread that I gave:

advice on some of the ice-picky highs - they might not be as high as you think - do a sweep with a PEQ and you're bound to find them. for eg, some of the harsh ice-picky freqs in some of my ultra patches were about 1.2-1.5khz, as well as around 3.5kz and 4.2khz. I used a peq to reduce them all. There may be more than one offensive freq band.

Also, you'll almost certainly want to use the hi cut and chop off everything above about 7K or so.....real cabs don't really have much after that anyway

I might be mistaken but I think the presets were not updated for several firmware updates so that might be a reason why they don't sound like you want them too?

I think you'd be better off dialing in your own sounds with the k10 rather than judging it by the presets.

Jens

ah good point by jens - make sure if you're using the stock presets that you use the ones that come with the latest version of the firmware - they would be tweaked for that firmware

+1 for making your own sounds instead of judging by the presets

Use the global eq to cut the highs and it should be good across all the presets. I have to cut the bottom end as well with my two KW122s. Basically run a "rainbow" shaped eq.

It took me quite a while too to get a good tone from FRFR. Struggling with high cut, eq, filters etc. but Im very happy now. so dont give up. Im sure its in there somewhere.

Try out some of YEKs presets he uploaded. They sounded very close to the recordings he did in a thread before here. otherwise I will also +1 on making own presets from scratch. start off with just amp and cab and tweak it from there.

I use a mesa amp and cab usually. Was at practice and tried another members k10 and just used stock presets. Shrill as hell.... 1st time trying FRFR and was majorly dissappointed. Wasn't even in the realm of being usable or brown sounding

So let me get this straight: You plug into another speaker and just expected it to sound good? You expected to not have to work a little bit for a good sound? If you change guitar cabs, don't you have to tweak a bit? When you try a different drive pedal in your patches, or different amps, don't you have to tweak a bit? You don't have to adjust when you change guitars, especially from single coils to humbuckers?

You have to dial in presets for the K12/change them up a bit. The K series have their horns as one piece, and part of the baffle (molded into the baffle). Even the presets were dialed in differently, on studio monitors, but the presets sound different for everybody.

I have great sounds, and only lightly messed with the PEQ to a slight rolloff for the highs, or even the one in the amp block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom