AFIII Tribute to Eddie Van Halen (w/ free patch)

I think it's safe to say Eddie's passing left a void in the guitar world that will never be filled. In my opinion there's never been anyone so influential, inspiring and creative as EVH, he took what Hendrix did 10 years prior and brought it to a whole other level. The electric guitar as an instrument would be way different today if it wasn't for his countless contributions, both playing wise and in guitar design/innovation.
This video is my way to pay tribute to the King, by playing some of my favorite riffs from each album till '91, and hopefully inspire younger people to go listen to the Van Halen catalog.

Eddie's tone varied a lot throughout the years, each album is very different and there's no such thing as "THE Van Halen tone" (His tone was in his fingers anyway). So I just tried my best to create a good overall Van Halen-ish patch, using just stock cabs. The heart of the preset is very simple. A variac'd 1959SLP Plexi with every knob on ten, into a couple of Greenbacks IRs. You have all the usual fx blocks to spice up the sound and get closer to each era: phase 90, flanger, chorus, echoplex delay in front of the amp, H3000 micro pitch shift, a stereo delay (emulating his SDE-3000 settings in his live rig), an enhance block for those wide 5150 tones and of course the reverb.
Props to @Mark Pritchard for the echoplex settings and the multiband comp idea at the end of the chain, both killer dude!

I've put together some screenshots for the non-Axefx III users so you can recreate the patch on your unit. Keep in mind this was done with firmware 14.00, shouldn't sound much different if you're on 14.04.

Hope you guys like it, lets rock some Van Halen!

Just saw your Eddie Van Halen tribute awesome Rocco
Great Job sounds great :cool:

Better late than never. This tone is by far the best EVH tone available for the fxIII. I sat down and compared it to the early VH isolated guitar tracks and its bang on.

The playing on the video isn't shabby either. :) I've never been able to get the sequence right with Hang-em-high and you nailed it.

I'm new to the Fractal world, just saw this thread. Absolutely outstanding playing and tone! It is still dialed in for Cygnus then? I won't have time to play with it until next week, the weekend is already spoken for. :(

These sound so good! Did anyone ever do a FM3 version. I can't import the syx file to my fm3. I'm new at it, any help it appreciated. thx

Quite amazing Playing! Im going to have a lot of fun with that preset. Thank you for sharing. The harmonics really stand out.

I think it's safe to say Eddie's passing left a void in the guitar world that will never be filled. In my opinion there's never been anyone so influential, inspiring and creative as EVH, he took what Hendrix did 10 years prior and brought it to a whole other level. The electric guitar as an instrument would be way different today if it wasn't for his countless contributions, both playing wise and in guitar design/innovation.
This video is my way to pay tribute to the King, by playing some of my favorite riffs from each album till '91, and hopefully inspire younger people to go listen to the Van Halen catalog.

Eddie's tone varied a lot throughout the years, each album is very different and there's no such thing as "THE Van Halen tone" (His tone was in his fingers anyway). So I just tried my best to create a good overall Van Halen-ish patch, using just stock cabs. The heart of the preset is very simple. A variac'd 1959SLP Plexi with every knob on ten, into a couple of Greenbacks IRs. You have all the usual fx blocks to spice up the sound and get closer to each era: phase 90, flanger, chorus, echoplex delay in front of the amp, H3000 micro pitch shift, a stereo delay (emulating his SDE-3000 settings in his live rig), an enhance block for those wide 5150 tones and of course the reverb.
Props to @Mark Pritchard for the echoplex settings and the multiband comp idea at the end of the chain, both killer dude!

I've put together some screenshots for the non-Axefx III users so you can recreate the patch on your unit. Keep in mind this was done with firmware 14.00, shouldn't sound much different if you're on 14.04.

Amazing.

Rocco,
A couple of years ago (apparently) you posted images of settings for EVH sounds on Fractal units. I have an FM9 and am interested in those EVH sounds. Unfortunately your files are no longer accessible and I cannot view and/or download anything you posted... apparently the links no longer function, or are just not there any longer.

Is there any way I could get those images of the EVH settings from you? I just got my Fractal FM9 (after a LONG waiting list and time). I am starting with a new band, and I don't have time to both learn the FM9 and make presets quickly enough... I have a HUGE amount of songs to learn... including a few EVH songs from all eras.
I
t would be appreciated greatly if you could repost those images of your settings, or help me out in some way with those settings.
Thanks Rocco. I would rather do it on my own, but I just do not have the time... and you've nailed the EVH stuff!

The EVH tones on your vid are excellent... I'm sure you spent some serious time on them. They sound remarkably like Edward's sounds from the different eras.

Thanks much, Rocco... again, it's appreciated GREATLY!

Last edited:
just wondering...when you all downloaded this were the Bass, Mid, Treble in the Amp block all dimed? No cuts in the cab block. It sounds great but just wondering if i downloaded it correctly to my FM9 (pretty much just dragged it into my Preset area in Edit.

and btw, rocco, i drove cross country to care for my parents....its been tough. playing your preset has been the brightest part of this experience. big smiles last night.

thank you for sharing!

Back
Top Bottom