Triaxis models - why no cabs?

Coldsummer

Experienced
OK, sorry for the dumb ass question but I'm not familiar with the original unit and I'd really like to know the answer.

I was scrolling through the list of amp models on the Wiki and noticed that the Triaxis has no recommended cabs, presumably because it is a pre-amp, so under which circumstances would it be used, as a pre-amp before another amp block utilising that amp's power amp section with appropriate cab, like a drive block, or standalone but with no cab? Sorry, it must seem really dumb to most of you but I'm not afraid to say I don't know and I'd really like to know :)

It would seem obvious the Mesa cabs would be a place to begin.

Well yes, that was my initial thoughts, but my question is really why are cabs designated as n/a (not applicable), the Triaxis is a preamp, therefore no power amp, so can the Triaxis models be used in the same way as any other amp block? Is the wiki misleading? There are no specific power amp models (I think?).

Many years ago when I had Rocktron and Marshall pre-amps I also used a separate power amp.

Doesn't the Sag parameter simulate a power amp section?

Or am I just over-thinking it?

Cabs aren't designated as N/A. The cabs listed in the wiki are merely suggestions for people wanting to get the most common or "signature" sounds of a given amp. They are in no way meant to limit YOUR TONAL CHOICES.

Cabs aren't designated as N/A. The cabs listed in the wiki are merely suggestions for people wanting to get the most common or "signature" sounds of a given amp. They are in no way meant to limit YOUR TONAL CHOICES.

So why not at least one recommended cab in the wiki? Do pre-amps include a generic power amp modeled section?

Sorry, I'm probably getting hung up on this. I feel there is a very simple answer out there.

The simple answer is that the wiki is merely a guide to get you started. In the end it's your ears that should be the judge, not some suggestion in a wiki.

Well yes, that was my initial thoughts, but my question is really why are cabs designated as n/a (not applicable), the Triaxis is a preamp, therefore no power amp, so can the Triaxis models be used in the same way as any other amp block? Is the wiki misleading? There are no specific power amp models (I think?).

Many years ago when I had Rocktron and Marshall pre-amps I also used a separate power amp.

Doesn't the Sag parameter simulate a power amp section?

Or am I just over-thinking it?

Yes. The sag parameter simulates the power amp section. See this thread for more info:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/66771-usa-pre-yellow-green-cliff-you-nailed.html#post823928

The simple answer is that the wiki is merely a guide to get you started. In the end it's your ears that should be the judge, not some suggestion in a wiki.

Thank you, and I agree with the point you are making as I often scroll through different cabs to find one that sounds right for me. My original question however was more about if a cab was required, not which cab to use but I am grateful for your advice and input.

Back
Top Bottom