Triaxis model live use ?

Basically fell into the Triaxis model recently because of the amazing clean and rhythm tones I can get from it as well as the awesome 'metal roar' from the Yellow and Red settings. While doing this I've been researching the Dynamic Voice EQ settings in the Triaxis manual and AXE WIKI.

Pushing the Dynamic Voice EQ settings in sounds great at home with no band playing at like 80-90 db levels but I'm scratching my head a bit on this for 'live use' cutting through a band.

It seems a bit counterintuitive... DV EQ settings seem to increase the 700ish Hz cut while boosting lows and highs as you add more DV level, but experience tells me that pushing a 'smile' curve with cutting mids makes it more difficult to cut through in a mix.

So for live use of this model does it make the most sense to ignore the 'book' Dynamic Voice settings and use the 5-band EQ before power amp to give some nice midrange for cutting through the band while also possibly reducing lows and highs ?

Anyone used this live and have some experience to offer using Axe-FX 2 Triaxis model live ?

i used to have a triaxis and i don't think i ever went beyond 2 on the dynamic voice. i've checked out petrucci's settings and he's using it at 4 for rhythm stuff. i don't know what the range of the axe eq bands are (or what they are in the triaxis) so i find it tricky to try and do a 1:1 translation, so i just go for the general "shape" and then use my ears. i don't think i've had any band beyond + or - 4db.

i stand corrected...5db is my max. i've got a nice triaxis patch i use sometimes. i have it set like this...

LD2 red

drive = 6.5 for rhythm and 7.5 for lead
overdrive = 6.5
bass = 1.5
mid = 5
treb = 6.2
bright = -4 (simulates the triaxis pres, which is a cut)
pres 5
depth 4
master = 4

i have input trim at 1.7, but i have my input set to stereo, which lowers input signal by 6db and mid output paf's, so you might want to leave it on 1

5 band = +5, +3, -5, +4, +2

i'm using into a stereo cab with factory 129 and 130 (recto mix and new recto mix)

seems to work fine for me, but ymmv...

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and thoughts Simeon. Will be checking it out today. I'm using a PRS Brushstroke 24 that has their "408 narrowfield" pickups in it which seem to be mid-gain as well so I suspect copping your settings will be an interesting exercise.

The thing with the Mark series and it’s derivatives like the Triaxis is they’re just so mid-heavy that it takes some amount of GEQ scoop just to get it into the ballpark of a typical non-Mark amp. You can get some sweet fusion tones sans-GEQ, but just about everything else can benefit from some carving out. It’s a bit deceptive and tricky to dial compared to most other amps.

The Triaxis used to be my main model for both recording and live, you can get away with quite a bit without losing cut. Simeon’s settings above (as usual) are a wonderful starting point to get in the general area with.

Thanks for the reply Recon24. This is my first real testing of any of the Mark series type amps so I'm definitely learning they are different animals!

I gigged with a Triaxis for years. I never put Dynamic Voice above 1.0. Despite it's name, DV is just an EQ. It's the 5-band graphic EQ from the mark series with the potentiometers replaced by LDRs. It's really just a bunch of EQ presets and it interpolates between them as you increase the value.

Highest i ever went was 4, so just imagine on each click it's starts applying a V and it gets more and more pronounced as you go up.

not quite. the shape seems to vary depending on the value

the manual seems a bit misleading, because it talks about the value also adjusting the mix level of the dynamic voice...and remembering one of cliff's previous posts about this, that seems unlikely...

Attachments

• Dynamic_Voice.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 41
So more like some preset curves. I know I didn't like a lot of it. How badass would it have been to have a programmable eq on there like we have now :)

Thanks for the replies folks. I've got some preset curves that sound good to me now for Rhy Green (clean and rhythm crunch), Ld2 Red, and Ld2 Yellow. Really dig this thing!

I've never played a real Triaxis, but the "USA Pre Clean" mode in the Axe behaves very much like described for the Rhythm Green in the actual Triaxis manual:

"NOTE: The GAIN control has a Dynamic “Bright” circuit built into it. At low Gain settings the upper harmonics will pass freely through this control, producing the sweetest, brightest sounds. The more the GAIN control is increased, the less of these upper harmonics pass through this control and the warmer the sound becomes. All the way up on the GAIN control virtually removes these frequencies from the mix."

I find using the settings below and adjusting guitar volume gives me a huge range of tones from chimy cleans at low guitar volume, to serious crunch with volume up. I found these in the "Unofficial Mesa Triaxis Settings Thread" on the Grailtone Mesa Boogie board, from user 'masque':

Mode: Rhythm Green
Gain: 10
Treble: 8
Mids: 9
Bass: 2
Lead 1: n/a
Lead 2: n/a
Master: 3
Presence: 5.0
Dynamic Voice: 3.0

I run this into the "ML Labs Best IR in the World (free)" and it sounds sweet with my PRS Custom 24 and Brushstroke 24 going into any of my HD650s, RME and monitors, and live venue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom