Triaxis into XL+?

CactusTone

Inspired
Hello!

Is it possible to run a Triaxis into the XL+, use a Cab Block IR, and then output to an Apollo so I can monitor the sound through my self powered studio monitors?

If so, my next questions are: 1) which outputs would I use on the Triaxis? (I'm assuming the regular preamp outs and not the "record" outs), and 2) how do I set up the Axe to receive the Triaxis "on the grid" to feed the Cab Block? (FX Loop? and if so I've never used that feature on the Axe, how do you set it up?)

Not sure if I'm going to like the "real" Triaxis any better than the models in the box, but have always wanted to try something like this with all the different IRs.

run the fxl block in parallel with an amp block, so they're both feeding the same cab. use the looper to record some playing and then you can compare the amp block to the real thing (you'd have to play through the triaxis and feed the looper into the amp block) . you'd actually have a pretty nice opportunity to figure out what 5 band eq settings match up with each setting of the dynamic voice on the tri and share your findings with the community. the shapes of four of the dynamic voice settings are in the triaxis manual.

run the fxl block in parallel with an amp block, so they're both feeding the same cab. use the looper to record some playing and then you can compare the amp block to the real thing (you'd have to play through the triaxis and feed the looper into the amp block) . you'd actually have a pretty nice opportunity to figure out what 5 band eq settings match up with each setting of the dynamic voice on the tri and share your findings with the community. the shapes of four of the dynamic voice settings are in the triaxis manual.
Thank you!

Yes, regular outs and use the fxl block. Run the tri into input 2 of the axe
I did some random parameter tweaking to get sound from the Triaxis, but there's a tremendous amount of noise in the signal path, and some of the settings don't seem to align with what I'd expect. Maybe you can help me with the I/O Input and Audio settings? Here's what I have:

1) Triaxis Output (front of unit) = 2. Anything higher clips the Out 1 Clip, and that's even when. . .
2) I/O Input page: Input Gain on Input 2 = 20%. I adjusted this down pretty low because of how easily the Out 1 was clipping.
3) I/O Audio page: I wasn't getting signal to the Apollo, even though the Axe's meters were showing healthy signal. I started playing around with settings and got signal to the Apollo by turning the USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE to OUTPUT 1. (I'm connected to the Apollo via S/PDIF) Sound and tons of noise came through at that point. Still don't know why it worked, but it did. I should add that the noise only comes through when the guitar's volume pot is rolled on. Even the tiniest bit. Volume knob rolled off has no noise.

So, it's clear the connections aren't noisy, themselves. However, the guitar noise is so much louder than anything I've heard from this unit before. And that includes playing in front of computers, etc. When I used to record, sitting in front of my computer, and the Triaxis was going into a cab and then mic'd, there was never a noticeable amount of noise. So either the Triaxis is suddenly the noisiest preamp ever, or I'm doing something wrong. This is why I'm wondering if there's anything funky going on with my routing in the Axe. The Output of the Triaxis seems crazy low, along with the Input Gain in the Axe. Even at that I had to adjust the Master Volume lower on the Triaxis to avoid overloading the signal. It seems way too "hot," and I'm wondering if that's where the noise is coming from.

Is there anything that jumps out at you as a red flag here?

ah ok. just wanted to make sure you weren't running the fxl into the amp block. have you tried turning the fxl level down?

have you also tried using input 1 instead of input 2? i'm wondering if input 2 is set to instrument level (which will be too hot). i know you can put line level signals into input 1 (round the back of the unit)

Tried turning the level down, yes. I'm confused about the Input. I'm patching the Triaxis into the FX Loop and the only way I am able to get signal (out) is if I plug my guitar into the Triaxis' Input (tried front only so far). Is that what you mean? Not following your signal path here. Thanks!

of course you have to plug into the triaxis input. i'm saying, plug the triaxis output into input 1 of the axe fx. you won't need to use the fxl block

CactusTone, I run this setup also and am here to help! You're clipping because you're not using the fx loop of the triaxis. I ran into this problem before also and this is what you need to do.

guitar into axe fx input 1
output 2 Left only into the triaxis input
Triaxis FX loop send into axe fx input 2 left (fx return)
Axe fx output 1 back into the triaxis fx return
Triaxis output 1 directly into your power amp

Add an FX loop block in your patch. Adjust volume in the fx return block to compensate for whatever master volume setting you have the triaxis set at. Adjust this to taste on each preset.

The stereo physical volume knob on the front of the Triaxis controls another clean preamp to boost the signal even more before going into your power amp. The knob on the front does not boost the fx loop level though. You don't want that hot of a signal going through the axe fx so you have to use the triaxis fx loop for that.

As far as noise, mine was pretty noisy before I sent it in to Mesa for repair. Mine had some major problems when I got it. When I got it back it was super quiet. Although, I never figured out the correct routing using the fx loop until I got it back after repair. Maybe yours will be quieter with the proper signal path.

Lastly, I will not comment on the tone compared to the axe fx versions. I want to hear what you think first, then I'll tell you my opinion.

I guess I missed the part about going into monitors. Since you aren't using a power amp you can try running the triaxis output into the monitors, but I'll warn you it's very loud. If that doesn't work for you then you may want to skip using the main triaxis output altogether, which means you're only using the fx loop output.

Last edited:
So, dealing with the noise issue, I have to say that it's no comparison between the Axe and Triaxis. The Axe blows it out of the water, but! . . . to be fair, I need to wait until I can compare the two when using a power amp and load box with the Triaxis, Without including the Amp Block in the signal chain there's no way to take advantage of the power amp simulation when using the Triaxis, therefore putting it at a disadvantage. Seriously considering the new load box, but worried I'll spend $400 just to realize the Triaxis still can't compete with the Axe. Even if it's dead equal, it'd be a waste.

So far I've only taken the time to dial in the Lead 2 Green, and it's simply amazing. I may have to reconfigure my live presets based on the phenomenal tone it makes. One lifetime is not enough to fully explore all the capabilities of each Amp in this box.

does he need to use a 4 cable method. can he not just go into the front of the triaxis and then out of the fx loop into the back of the axe? or does there need to be signal at fx loop in, for there to be signal at fx loop out? he can run his monitors from the axe fx

does he need to use a 4 cable method. can he not just go into the front of the triaxis and then out of the fx loop into the back of the axe? or does there need to be signal at fx loop in, for there to be signal at fx loop out? he can run his monitors from the axe fx

Yeah, that will work. You just won't be able to put any effects blocks before the triaxis. But in order to free up output 2 that would work well!!

So, dealing with the noise issue, I have to say that it's no comparison between the Axe and Triaxis. The Axe blows it out of the water, but! . . . to be fair, I need to wait until I can compare the two when using a power amp and load box with the Triaxis, Without including the Amp Block in the signal chain there's no way to take advantage of the power amp simulation when using the Triaxis, therefore putting it at a disadvantage. Seriously considering the new load box, but worried I'll spend $400 just to realize the Triaxis still can't compete with the Axe. Even if it's dead equal, it'd be a waste.

So far I've only taken the time to dial in the Lead 2 Green, and it's simply amazing. I may have to reconfigure my live presets based on the phenomenal tone it makes. One lifetime is not enough to fully explore all the capabilities of each Amp in this box.

Yeah, you don't have power amp modeling with that setup to get the best sound and feel. There is a way to do it within the axe though. Cliff said if you use the "tube pre" amp block and set it a certain way it will be basically just a power amp sim only. You'll need to go back and find his post since I'm just going from memory here. I never did this because if I'm going to play through monitors I don't use the triaxis.

My analysis of the sound was this: when using a real power amp and cab the triaxis sounds much better than axe fx (cab & power amp sims off). At the same settings they did not even sound close. But when using cab and power amp sims with sound coming from my monitors, the axe sounds better. It's like the axe doesn't sound so great just as a preamp in comparison to the triaxis. But when you add the full modeling package of cab sims, power amp sims, the axe does sound great. Because of this I like to use the triaxis with a real cab and mesa fifty/fifty power amp for live sound.

So to recap:
axe fx + power amp + real cab = not that great
triaxis + power amp + real cab = amazing
axe fx + cab sims + amp sims = amazing
triaxis + cab sims = not that great

Back
Top Bottom