Triaxis EQ Algorithm??

Update:

Mesa Boogie officially discontinued the Triaxis this year.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplifier...fiers/triaxis-programmable-pre-amp/index.html

ocy4dds.png

@FractalAudio Based on one of the responses on this thread, I looked at the Fractal Amp Wiki (https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp:_all_models#USA_PRE_LD1_RED) and it reports "I did NOT use a Boogie power amp model with these as I always preferred using my Triaxis (I have two of them) with a more typical tube power amp. My favorite power amp with the Triaxis was a VHT 2502 so the power amp model is very similar to that.".

I know you're knee deep working on a big update right now, but when you have time...

Is it possible you can shoot the Triaxis again using the 2:90 power amp and create separate amp models in the Axe-Fx that have the none of the 2:90 modes engaged, and then with Modern, Deep, and Modern and Deep modes engaged (since volume isn't an issue with the Axe, I can't imagine an use for the Half mode) - just as you have done with some of the Marshall and Vox models (e.g., with and without the bright mode engaged)?

Also, is it possible to create a special Mark 5-band EQ for the model that blends the EQd and dry signals as in the Triaxis ("Better yet, the TriAxis’ method actually blends the equalized signal with the “dry” signal. So, unlike our traditional Graphic equalizer - where the whole signal passes through the circuit once it is activated...the DYNAMIC VOICE circuit is an EQ and built in mixer all in one!", p. 10 from the Triaxis manual)?

I appreciate the consideration.

@FractalAudio Based on one of the responses on this thread, I looked at the Fractal Amp Wiki (https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Amp:_all_models#USA_PRE_LD1_RED) and it reports "I did NOT use a Boogie power amp model with these as I always preferred using my Triaxis (I have two of them) with a more typical tube power amp. My favorite power amp with the Triaxis was a VHT 2502 so the power amp model is very similar to that.".

I know you're knee deep working on a big update right now, but when you have time...

Is it possible you can shoot the Triaxis again using the 2:90 power amp and create separate amp models in the Axe-Fx that have the none of the 2:90 modes engaged, and then with Modern, Deep, and Modern and Deep modes engaged (since volume isn't an issue with the Axe, I can't imagine an use for the Half mode) - just as you have done with some of the Marshall and Vox models (e.g., with and without the bright mode engaged)?

That would be awesome if the 290 was modeled because it really is part of the Triaxis signature sound.

I actually kept the original tubes from my Triaxis and 290. I know I can't use the 290 power tubes but I could use the Triaxis preamp tubes, if I ever wanted to change the tone.

I replaced my Triaxis tubes with the Eurotubes.com Triaxis High Gain Low Output Option.

I've never been able to replicate the sound with those tubes but the Axe-Fx II comes pretty close to the original tubes. There's probably an advanced setting that could be tweaked to sound like the high gain tubes.

The low output tubes really helped with the 4CM.

I personally like the way my Axe-Fx II sounds better than my Triaxis and 290 but I think it's because I like being able to use different cab IR's through FRFR cabs.

I have to admit there's still nothing that compares to standing in front of a Triaxis and 290 through a real 4x12 cab with the 290 volume knobs almost all the way up.

I have to take out my old rig and decide if I'm ready to part ways with it. It was the first real tube amp I ever had and all my favorite guitarists used it, so it has some sentimental value. haha I'm such a dork.
Actually try the AXE with the 2:90 one time. You'll at least ditch the Triaxis. That's where I started. I purchased the AXE, replace the Triaxis, still played through 4 12 cab and 2:90. Created my presets accordingly. These days I'm perfecting FOH tone, trying to balance with stage tone. I'm getting close. Sound tremendous in my in ears.

Actually try the AXE with the 2:90 one time. You'll at least ditch the Triaxis. That's where I started. I purchased the AXE, replace the Triaxis, still played through 4 12 cab and 2:90. Created my presets accordingly. These days I'm perfecting FOH tone, trying to balance with stage tone. I'm getting close. Sound tremendous in my in ears.

I've played my Axe-Fx II through my 290 and Marshall 1960AV. It sounded awesome! I personally thought the 290 colored it in a good way and I still left the Global Power Amp setting enabled. I now use my Axe-Fx II with a pair of Yamaha DRX12 powered FRFR cabs. I know it's not the same but it's a lot lighter weight and all my gear fits in the trunk and backseat of my 2016 Dodge Challenger Plum Crazy. Sometimes we have to make compromises in life :D

I did this when I first got the AFX and it no-doubt sounded great. The only problem was that it sort of made all of the amp models sound very similar, could barely tell the difference between a JCM-800, Engl Savage, Friedman BE-100, 5150 III etc. Once I got studio monitors, the AFX really came alive for me and then later I bought a flat solid state power amp(Carvin DCM1504L) and ran that into my 4x12 and that gets me that amp-in-the-room sound when I really crave it.

Also, is it possible to create a special Mark 5-band EQ for the model that blends the EQd and dry signals as in the Triaxis ("Better yet, the TriAxis’ method actually blends the equalized signal with the “dry” signal. So, unlike our traditional Graphic equalizer - where the whole signal passes through the circuit once it is activated...the DYNAMIC VOICE circuit is an EQ and built in mixer all in one!", p. 10 from the Triaxis manual)?

I appreciate the consideration.

+1 Please!

@FractalAudio

Just so you know, the blending thing really won't have any practical use. The signals are exactly the same except for the EQ, so blending an EQ'd signal with a dry signal, provided there are no timing differences, will only effectively make your EQ exactly half as effective as if it were fully wet.

So basically, looking at the situation in terms of averages. ( 1 EQ'd signal + 0 EQ'd signal ) / 2 signals = 0.5 EQ'd signal

Does anybody know what parameter would effectively remove the phat mod high pass filtering in the advanced tab of lead 1 red?

edit:

Okay, it's comforting to know that mine aren't the only ones with R9 and C6 not installed. The web is full of misinformation about the TX4 board and the infamous phat mod.

I remember clearly though that when I bought mine it was when the TX4 board was first introduced and the phat mod wasn't out yet. I then bought a backup a year or two later that sounded terrible. I was told it had the phat mod. So I returned it and finally they found one for me that was the same as my original one.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what parameter would effectively remove the phat mod high pass filtering in the advanced tab of lead 1 red?
I use the RTA to see where the offending peaks are. Then also using my ears, I put an EQ block at the end, before the RTA block, and pull out the offending tone. I also routinely use an EQ block to roll off everything below 80hz and above 8k. This helps channel the guitar where it should live in the mix. It works for me, but results may vary, depending on your entire rig setup. And I agree it's better to create then copy. I use the factory presets as a tutorial. Even 3rd party presets need tweaking for different setups.

The power amp used in the Axe's TriAxis models is also not the SimulClass 2:90. It's based on something else (VHT I think?) so it's not going to sound exactly the same.

i don't remember where but i swear i just saw in here recently (last 6 months) somewhere where FAS said they redid the Triaxis models with a 2:90, or maybe it was a Mark IV power section, either way a mesa simul-class power section on the triaxis Models now.

edit:

The USA Pre models now all use a MarkIV power amp model. The 2:90 power amp is basically the same as a MarkIV and does have a presence shift but it's accessed through a jack on the back (Voicing).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom