Triaxis + Axe FX + Switchblade + Matrix poweramp

Sorbz62

Hi guys,

I am in the process of redoing my rack and will be using a Triaxis, AFX II XL+, Eventide Eclipse and a Switchblade 8. I have some questions that you may be able to answer:

1. I will probably put the Triaxis in the AFX loop to free up SB8 ins/ outs. I want to use preamp models from both (I know the Triaxis is not a modeller!). I can use the cab modelling of the Axe with the Triaxis?

2. If I am a using the Triaxis straight into the Matrix power amp, do I need a cab model or not?

3. Can I maintain a stereo signal if I have the Triaxis in the Axe loop? I presume the Triaxis is therefore a mono FX in the Axe grid and any fx added after can be stereo?

Cheers,
Jim

1. I will probably put the Triaxis in the AFX loop to free up SB8 ins/ outs. I want to use preamp models from both (I know the Triaxis is not a modeller!). I can use the cab modelling of the Axe with the Triaxis?
Yup.

2. If I am a using the Triaxis straight into the Matrix power amp, do I need a cab model or not?
Depends on what the Matrix is connected to. If it's connected to a guitar cab, there's no need for cab simulation. If it's connected to a passive FRFR monitor or PA speaker, then yes, you would need some kind of cab sim.

3. Can I maintain a stereo signal if I have the Triaxis in the Axe loop? I presume the Triaxis is therefore a mono FX in the Axe grid and any fx added after can be stereo?
I don't know enough about the Triaxis to know if it's a stereo unit, but assuming it's mono, then yes, anything coming out of the FXLoop block on the grid (effectively your "Triaxis Block") would be mono. You could subsequently add stereo FX blocks after that.

I'm using the triaxis with the axe fx also. It's a match made in heaven if you ask me.

Hi guys,

I am in the process of redoing my rack and will be using a Triaxis, AFX II XL+, Eventide Eclipse and a Switchblade 8. I have some questions that you may be able to answer:

Cheers,
Jim

1. Yes, but you will be missing a power amp sim. Use the "tube pre" amp model like cliff describes in order to get just a power amp sim. I forget how he says to do it, but there is a way to make this amp block have only a power amp simulation.

2. Not if you're going into a real guitar cabinet.

3. Yes, it will be going mono into the triaxis and the triaxis fx loop send is mono also. (triaxis fx return is stereo so you can have stereo effects)

Tip: You might ask yourself "why even use the triaxis fx loop? I can just go from the axe fx into the input of the triaxis, then connect triaxis output back to the axe fx" That was a mistake that I made initially. The problem with this is that the physical volume knob on the triaxis can't be turned up past 1 or 2 before the input 2 starts clipping. For this reason you really want the triaxis fx loop send going into input 2 of the axe. The triaxis ports labeled "output" needs to be going straight to your power amp. If you're not using a power amp and cab then don't even use the "output" from the triaxis.

Great thanks.

So you say I should use the Tube-pre to use poweramp modelling. I would be using guitar cabs so no cab model (at the moment).

Actually I may be rethinking my rig and only using the Eclipse for external FX, meaning I can have the Axe, the Triaxis and the Eclipse into the Switchblade. This will enable me to have all sorts of combinations, particularly through my 3 channel Matrix amp!

Yeah, but make sure you go find that post from Cliff where he explains how to use the tube pre as a power amp modeler. I think it's in the wiki now. It's something like you turn the amp drive all the way down or something and then it becomes null with only a power amp sim left.

Back
Top Bottom