Wish Tri-state control switching

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Idea:
A new control switch type that can switch to three values: 0, 50%, 100%
  • Long press (like a hold switch) toggles between 0 & 50%
  • Tap toggles between 0 and 100%
  • The LED ring indicates off = 0%, dim = 50%, bright = 100%
  • The switch to which it is assigned is barred from having a hold function (due to the CS using a hold-ish way of getting to the middle state)

Hmmm, I like the idea of multi-valued control switches, but...
  • I'd rather press twice (or more, see below) than press and hold, so it doesn't force single press sensing to be delayed, as discussed in earlier threads
  • Rather than limiting it to 3 states, why not do it sort of like channel switching, where you specify how many values you want, and each press cycles through them. 0/100, 0/50/100, 0/33/66/100 etc. (Or maybe even pick how many values, then spec the values for each, but that seems unnecessary and more complicated to build and to use.)

Hmmm, I like the idea of multi-valued control switches, but...
  • I'd rather press twice (or more, see below) than press and hold, so it doesn't force single press sensing to be delayed, as discussed in earlier threads
  • Rather than limiting it to 3 states, why not do it sort of like channel switching, where you specify how many values you want, and each press cycles through them. 0/100, 0/50/100, 0/33/66/100 etc. (Or maybe even pick how many values, then spec the values for each, but that seems unnecessary and more complicated to build and to use.)
The LED has 3 possible states that it can indicate. It would be a possible use case for a double-tap, since it would block placement of a hold switch under that tap switch, but the hold timing code is already around somewhere, and could be leveraged to handle the timing for the third state, so when you have hold functions set to trigger on a button being released after the hold time has been met, the same would apply to the third state triggering. Trying to keep the action similar to a tap and a hold function on the same switch working somewhat in concert, and get the LED status indicator off/dim/bright to indicate and work as a tri-state switch, with ability to go directly from 0% to 50% or 100%, from 50% to 0% or 100%, or from 100% to 50% or 0%. It comes from an idea I had while on @bread's post....
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/control-switch-channel-toggling-problem.168906/

The middle state would be a control value, like the end points, so the middle value on the modifier pane's start/mid/end settings would easily set the middle state up with any point between the end points. Want a 4dB and 6dB boost as your two possible >0dB states? Set the ends to 0dB and 6dB, and adjust the mid knob to 66.7%, and the middle state would be 4dB. :)

Last edited:
The LED has 3 possible states that it can indicate. It would be a possible use case for a double-tap, since it would block placement of a hold switch under that tap switch, but the hold timing code is already around somewhere, and could be leveraged to handle the timing for the third state, so when you have hold functions set to trigger on a button being released after the hold time has been met, the same would apply to the third state triggering. Trying to keep the action similar to a tap and a hold function on the same switch working somewhat in concert, and get the LED status indicator off/dim/bright to indicate and work as a tri-state switch, with ability to go directly from 0% to 50% or 100%, from 50% to 0% or 100%, or from 100% to 50% or 0%. It comes from an idea I had while on @bread's post....
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/control-switch-channel-toggling-problem.168906/

The middle state would be a control value, like the end points, so the middle value on the modifier pane's start/mid/end settings would easily set the middle state up with any point between the end points. Want a 4dB and 6dB boost as your two possible >0dB states? Set the ends to 0dB and 6dB, and adjust the mid knob to 66.7%, and the middle state would be 4dB. :)

Thanks @Joe Bfstplk

Below is my response to the original thread.

What would be cool would be to combine the channel selected with the LED segments on the FC12 footswitch (the light ring around the switch is split into 4 separate segments), so that when only the top left segment is selected, Channel A is active, top right, Channel B is selected, bottom left, Channel C and bottom right Channel D. If they could be at full brightness its really clear, then that would be awesome and also colour selectable depending on the channel.

So, as an example ...
Channel A selected would be the top left FC12 LED segment in Green for a 2Db Boost
Channel B selected would the the top right FC12 LED segment selected in Blue for a 4db Boost
Channel C selected would be the bottom left FC12 LED segment selected in Yellow for a 6db Boost
Channel D selected would be the bottom right FC12 LED segment selected in Red for a 10db Boost
Hold = Off

... instead of boosts on a filter block, they could be the channels of the pitch block for different virtual capo tunings :)

I feel the LED segments on the FC12 could provide extra visual features that aren't being utilised (if my theory is correct and they can be addressed individually like the old 8 segment LED used to be). You could even to half and half for 3 state - Top 2 for Channel A, Bottom 2 for Channel B and ALL OFF for bypassed, again using different colours depending on state.

P.S.
Having a Custom name for each LED segment (or block channel name - another request) would be super cool too so the channel can be named as well as the block. When the block is OFF, the name of the Block is Displayed as default.

I think it takes things too far. The FC Controllers config system is already close to getting too complicated for common users, IMHO.

I think it takes things too far. The FC Controllers config system is already close to getting too complicated for common users, IMHO.

You could always choose not to use it, but certainly for the virtual capo and for users that have many different tunings I would think this would be very useful.

Back
Top Bottom