Tri-Chorus || Quad Detune || Dry = The chorus pedal I wanted in the '80s...

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Was plunking around on the AC20 model that I tweaked for EL34/6CA7 outputs, and decided to look at the chorus and detune blocks I'd saved in the library last weekend. I had one of the early Yamamaha guitar processors with the "Pitch C" patch, which was my favorite chorus at the time, so the quad detune was a nice "blast from the past" in a way. Likewise, the other chorus I had for a while was the old Arion plastic stomp box one. Ok for the $ but definitely not as nice as what I wanted. Chorus went out of style in the early '90s, as it was associated with spandex & hairspray metal, and grunge came in to change the sound, so I kinda dropped it and didn't use chorus for about 25 years.

The particular chorus block was set up for doing side-chain in parallel with dry (100% wet), so I did the same to the quad detune, and set them both to mute FX output when bypassed. I had to add a filter inline ahead of them, set flat with -3dB level and set so that it kicked in at the same time, to keep levels even when switching them in.

Net result: darn near David Gilmour's super lush "Short and Sweet" chorus. :) Strat bridge pickup, and switch to dry guitar and dig in a bit to get a little growl for the middle eight. Still needs a flange or something with the feedback set up on a CC pedal to tweak the sustain decays in spots to get some of the squeaky/whistley bits in the intro, but the sound is really close otherwise....

Might try doing a video of it later on. Kid's moving this weekend, so I will be schlepping him back and forth tomorrow, as he does not drive.

PS: I'm really digging being able to play after 12AM via headphones and not wake up the OL. :D

Back
Top Bottom