Trey A - Q3.03 -- SUMMER TOUR 2016 EDITION!

These are wonderful presets, Thanks Ian, and also on the tip of the TAF-2x12-V30 cab(s), I had been neglecting the Platinum Big Box I got last year. Got to see Phish in Wrigley Field last month, quite wonderful place for a show. (I've also seen Sir Paul McC, and the Police there.......)

Got to see Phish in Wrigley Field last month, quite wonderful place for a show. (I've also seen Sir Paul McC, and the Police there.......)
Nice! Which night? The second night was blazing from start to finish. And Space Oddity from the first night was a really cool thing to hear for the first time. Little known fact: Page watches Mets games on his iPad during shows!

Nice! Which night? The second night was blazing from start to finish. And Space Oddity from the first night was a really cool thing to hear for the first time. Little known fact: Page watches Mets games on his iPad during shows!
1st night. But I agree, Saturday's set was amazing. and I could see the light show (sorta) from my bedroom/projectstudio window in my nearby hi-rise.

Trey has a fantastic dynamic range. I've always been impressed with his ability to coax a huge variety of tones from his amps, just through his articulation.

Trey has a fantastic dynamic range. I've always been impressed with his ability to coax a huge variety of tones from his amps, just through his articulation.
Hardest part about tuning the drives has been trying to get that range. It's still not completely there in this preset, but it's moving in the right direction.

Ian, as you know, this has been one of my main go-to patches for a long time. Can't wait to check out this version after I get back from the SCI Redrocks shows ;-)

Little known fact: Page watches Mets games on his iPad during shows!
Trey: "Page, what happened during that jam? I thought we were going into a slow part."
Page: "Oh, sorry. Syndergaard just threw at Utley's head again and I got distracted..."
Fish: <throws drumstick at Page>

Play tested with the band last night and there's WAAAAY too much low end content with the drive blocks on now. I'll post updates later this week.

Revision 3 is here!

I fixed the drive block problems. The mondo bass is gone, replaced by smooooooooooth overdrive. The LV Tube experiment has ended as well and I flipped back to Si Diodes for clipping characteristics.

I reserve the right to tweak until the day I die! :D

Get it here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4439

I see them all
Carved into the cavern wall

I'm hearing a weird slapback and the delay and reverb are both off. Tried reloading the patch twice, but if i change the cab block all together it goes away. I've never had this happen before.

I'm hearing a weird slapback and the delay and reverb are both off. Tried reloading the patch twice, but if i change the cab block all together it goes away. I've never had this happen before.
Preset was created on XL+ -- is that what you're loading it on? If not, you need to use FracTool to convert it.

Time for Revision 4!

I've switched to one of @ML SOUND LAB's IRs. Specifically: ML Sure V30 SM57-E096 1 -- loud and live I'm liking this IR a lot more than any other I've used in the past. I'm not making big EQ changes to get the low end under control without having to shelve a ton of it off and the highs with this IR are really sweet. The IR is from Cab Pack 16 if you're curious.

I've saved the preset in Axe-Change with the old Tango+Art factory IR fall back for you though in case you don't own the ML IR pack.

The drive blocks have been tweaked again. The low gain Drive 1 block is feeling better, to me. But the high gain block is still...meh. It's clipping in a way I'm not happy with. Specifically, the decay in the few milliseconds following a note sounds not right to me. I'll keep at it and we'll see where we get. Summer ain't over yet, right?

The rotary block has external controller 6 assigned to the rate parameter in the block with a 1 second damp on the control.

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.37.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.38.01 PM.png
I'm using a new pedalboard setup with my MFC and it includes an outboard box with 2 wildcard switches and a second outboard box with two continuous controllers in the form of plain old potentiometers and knobs. I'm digging the additional control of effect parameters without having to move up to a monster pedal board. And some parameters just feel better when you control them with your fingers instead of your foot.

Here's a picture of the outboard boxes:

The Delay 1 block has changed. I've got it set up as a Mono Tape block now. And there are external controllers on the master feedback and the level values. Both are mapped to the outboard box I built with the pots in it. It is incredibly nice to be able to lean over and dial up the level and feedback rate of the delay. Just like my days pre-Axe-Fx only without the monster, back-breaking pedalboard to lug around!

Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.37.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.37.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.37.55 PM.png
The key to success with externals here is to set their minimum to the value you like to have the effects turn on at when you first pull up the preset. That way, you always know where "home" is. Just jam the external switches and knobs back to their "zero" position and you're back to sanity if you happen to get lost along the way.

I'm still using a Missing spring-loaded pedal for wah and whammy control. I left External 2 (Pedal 2 on the MFC) unbound -- if I need to I can use my un-secured-to-a-board EV-1 in that spot, but it'll be a rare thing to want to use that with the big rig.

How about a clip this time? I've been working with the Mu-Tron (Scene 3 in the preset) today -- it's a really sensitive effect. To get the most out of it you really have to back off your volume on your guitar quite a bit. Digging in will open up the filter wide, but you want to be able to play light and have it only half open as you pick. It's a real finesse thing to nail down the right response from it. But when you get it, it's silly amounts of fun. I jammed on a Martian Monster three-chord thing with the Mu-Tron engaged and then played around with the Delay 1 settings using those outboard pots, driving the level and feedback up and up and up.

You can find the latest version of the preset here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4465

I'm always interested in hearing about how you use the stuff I put out there. Lots of downloads, not a lot of talk around the sounds! :D

Your...your...your...your ship is fast!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.38.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.38.06 PM.png
    232.2 KB · Views: 18
Hello all...
New to this thread and the AX8...

Are any of these patches or revisions available still? for the AX8 hopefully.

Thanks,
Merle...

Hello all...
New to this thread and the AX8...

Are any of these patches or revisions available still? for the AX8 hopefully.

Thanks,
Merle...
The preset won't fit into a single AX8 preset. I had, at one point, shared an series of AX8 presets for it but I think I took the zip file out of my Dropbox. I can upload a bundle tonight...

Back
Top Bottom