Trey A - Q3.03 -- SUMMER TOUR 2016 EDITION!

iaresee

Administrator
Edit: Revision 4 is here! See my post further down for details!

Edit: See this post in the thread for AX8 presets (for Revision 3).

Trey Anastasio's rig for the Summer 2016 tour is HERE!

This patch is a work in progress, but here's my first tweak of my main Trey A patch after absorbing the first two weeks of summer tour shows.

The Boogie is back in Trey's stage rig so the patch is back to using the USA Clean! The Shiva is still there on the Y side of the AMP block if you like it's slightly warmer, fuzzier sound.

I'm using @TheAmpFactory's TAF-2x12-V30-[M160-DPA4011] impulse response in the CAB block and it's sounding nice. If you don't own The Amp Factory's fantastic big bundle you can get a good sound with the 2x12 Art+Tango Jr Mix (TAF) IR from the factory IRs.

The drive blocks have been updated. I was finding them too choked when I was using them live so I opened up the high and low cut. I also rolled off the mid-hump boost of the TS model. It's a little flatter now. On the higher gain drive I'm also mixing in 15% direct guitar with the drive sound -- I think it sounds a little more organic with the mix set less than 100%.

The delays are a little different. Trey is a using a Way Huge pretty much exclusively this tour so the main "short" delay is now Analog Mono to match the Supa Puss. The "long" delay is now a Deluxe Mind Guy instead of the Lo-Fi Tape model.

I'm sure there will be more updates as I play test this live, with the band but this should get you started!

Preset is here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4465

Blaze on!

Last edited:
Does it come w/ his new guitar? ;-)

(need to check out a couple of the new shows... maybe couch tour tonite!!)
I wish! Though he was playing his older Doc he modified with the super high output Duncans for the Dead shows last night and it sounded way beefier than the new one he played on Friday night.

NEVER MISS A SUNDAY NIGHT!

Can you post a good vid to become familiar with him? I've heard and read about him, but never listened to his music.

Can you post a good vid to become familiar with him? I've heard and read about him, but never listened to his music.
Dude, asking a Phish-head to post one vid is liking asking a meth addict to take just one hit. :) Prepare your mind and your ears because I'm about to go loco! :D

Here's a wicked Chalk Dust Torture jam from Friday night:

How about a '98 Bathtub Gin? Oh yea!

Three-in-one, covers to bookend an original: Rock and Roll > Meatstick > Boogie On

Oh! I just did something wicked and delicious! I might be ready to say I've got this drive pedal dialed in (ha! right!)!

Can you spot the madness?

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.26.01 PM.png

Any stage pics, or an inside scoop on this head?
Not much, really. No real info on what simu-class mode he runs it in (though some people swear it's in 60W mode) or whether it's running 6L6s (likely) or EL34s. It's a red stripe MkIII and that's the most we know.

Trey (Glasgow) picked up my boogie this spring.

After 30 odd years with this head, I'd be nice to know if it made the cut.
Sorry, Trey Anastasio bought your amp?

Revision 2 is here!

The big change is the drive blocks. They're both redone. Again. I was not happy with the clipping characteristics or the frequency response of the blocks. Especially live, I was feeling like they were a little too mid-range'y and choked off too much low and high end. The modded TS9s Trey uses have almost no mid-hump and greatly expanded frequency response from a typical TS9. So I went deep on parameter changes and came back with some pretty radical adjustments. Loud and live they feel much, much better to me.*

I save the preset with a factory cab in place this time so you should get sound out of it right away. But, as before, I'm running it with TAF-2x12-V30-[M160-DPA4011] so if you want to hear it the way I do, grab that IR from @TheAmpFactory.

I also remembered to put the looper back before saving it this time. I'll often drop it from the preset when I'm running with USB to get a bit of CPU back and keep headroom there while adjusting things.

You can get it, as always, on Axe-Change: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=4402

* I'm still not 100% on the higher gain drive so expect a revision 3 in the near future. :)

Back
Top Bottom