Trey A - 4.2 (updated Sept 12th!)

iaresee

Administrator
Edit: Updated again! This time with Trey's actual knob settings on the Express amp! Trey gifted us with a close up of Jan Marie during his rig run down videos and he does indeed run the amp very dark. These settings take a bunch of the hair off the sound. It sounds deliciously close to his tone for me here.

Other updates:

• The Jedi Knight scene defaults to the tremolo set in hard chop mode. The tremolo rate is controlled by External 2 now so you can do the thing he does with his tremolo.
  • External 2 also controls the Pitch 1 block so you can wham-wham-whammy with it. Just don't un-mute Pitch 1 and the Pan/Trem block at the same time in the Jedi Knight scene and it works great -- one pedal, two tricks!
  • Delay 2 was updated to allow for that "chase delay" thing Trey was using all over the long jams this summer. It's got a dotted eight tempo.
  • Control Switch 1 is assigned to Master Feedback on Delay 2. It lets me do dub-dub-dub delay infinite repeats. See here for how I have it set up on my FC12.

Updated preset is here: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=9136

Edit: Now with clips!

Edit: updated! @ipressthebutton pressed the button to let me know he's using an Express not a Liverpool. The updates are done. I spent more time dialing out the raspiness this time too. I used high cut in the CAB block to cut it back and bunch -- that's not something I normally touch, but it seems to work here with my PRS Hollowbody Spruce pretty well.

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.12.31 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 11.12.35 AM.png

---------

Yo! What's up my fellow Phans! We got a summer tour happening again! Woooooooo!

They've come out swinging for the rafters and while I said I was done chasing Trey's tasty tones I have to say this long break, this entirely new Trey rig and that fantastic new koa Languedoc he's sporting have my old tone monkey on my back whispering sweet nothings in my ear again. So here's an updated Trey A preset for all of you.

Scene 1 is still the Comet from the 3.0 rig. It's the "cleaner Comet" and using EL34s.

Scene 2 is the new "special guest amp": a Trainwreck Liverpool. Trey is using "Jan Marie" on tour and he's finally got a tone post-Boogie rig that I like. This scene's amp model is used everywhere except scenes 1, 3 and 8. Try stacking those drive pedals. And that volume knob is your friend; get to know it real well if you want to get to know this rig setup real well.

Scene 3 is a JTM-45 amp. I dialed this one in while listening to the first night of the summer tour. It sounded close-ish to Trey's tones while jamming along. I liked it, so I kept it in there. Of course, now we know he's running a real 'Wreck (so a 40k guitar into a 40k amp is what it takes, eh?).

Scenes 4 through 7 are various fun scenes for jamming out over Phish and Ghosts of the Forest tunes.

Scene 8 is an attempt to ressurect the Boogie rig tones from my old Axe-Fx II Trey A preset. I didn't spend a lot of time on this one, but it's there for funsies if you want it.

Preset tuning was done with my PRS 594 SH and my trusty, old PRS HB Spruce.

Wah is on External 1, auto-enaged. Volume is on External 2. You'll probably need to turn the envelope for your specific guitar to get the mu-tron to work for you. There are some per-preset overrides that work with my FC-6 setup. You'll probably want to adjust those as well for your FC setup.

No clips tonight. Kids are already in bed.

Some other notes:

• Try stacking the drives on Scene 2 -- it's glorious
  • With your amp up a little louder and a semi-hollow guitar in your hands you can surf feedback really easily on the Liverpool without even adding the drives. It's nuts.
  • Trey's using a Bruno cab with G12-65s in it. I went back and forth here. Try Channel D on the CAB block too. You might like it better.

As always, if you refine it, post your updates! Sharing is caring!

Last edited:
I re-did things watching the show last night and using the Wrecker Express and that model has more thwack to it. I dig it. I still think my tones have more raspiness on them than Trey's tones on the stream but I'm not sure how to dial that back at this point in time. It could be down to the guitars and pickups differing now.

I'll refine and post a 4.1 later today.

Last edited:
I have been geeking out on the Express model all afternoon. I have been switching between my EM12n loaded Thiele with PS170 and IR's. Logged on just to see if the Express was being talked about since it was revealed Trey was using one. I got to see the Oak Mountain and night one of Alpharetta shows. Best tone I have heard him use in a while.

this tour has been crazy, It's like something is in the water with them. I feel like this tour will go down in history the way the Deads 89-90 tour went.
They're playing like every show is the last show of tour. Because it might be. :(

this tour has been crazy, It's like something is in the water with them. I feel like this tour will go down in history the way the Deads 89-90 tour went.
That was a great year... I saw a few shows from that run.
They're playing like every show is the last show of tour. Because it might be. :(
Sad but true. SCI just cancelled this weekend's shows because one of them tested positive.

That was a great year... I saw a few shows from that run.

Sad but true. SCI just cancelled this weekend's shows because one of them tested positive.
Man that’s awesome! I wish I could have seen Jerry. He would totally be a Fractal guy if still around!

That really sucks about SCI. I haven’t seen them in a very long time.

I have been geeking out on the Express model all afternoon. I have been switching between my EM12n loaded Thiele with PS170 and IR's. Logged on just to see if the Express was being talked about since it was revealed Trey was using one. I got to see the Oak Mountain and night one of Alpharetta shows. Best tone I have heard him use in a while.
I'm not a big Phish or Trey guy, but I've been playing with the Express too, dig it. Unique vibe it's got.

Man that’s awesome! I wish I could have seen Jerry. He would totally be a Fractal guy if still around!

That really sucks about SCI. I haven’t seen them in a very long time.
Yea, I was lucky enough to see a "few" Dead shows ;-) I'm glad you got to those Phish shows, they're really smokin right now. Too bad I won't make it to Dick's this year even though I live in Denver.

So far, SCI has only cancelled the shows for this weekend, so hoping it's just a positive test and nobody's actually sick...

Back
Top Bottom