Trent Reznor Distortion

Thanks Ian. Exactly what I needed. Still tweaking the patch, but I like where it's going. (Need to be doing other things for my schoolwork... damn new firmware is pulling my in though.)

Awesome I can't wait to play with these ideas and patches... I just added 17 last night, did I miss the variac? Where is that? I want to saturate!

If your using Axe-Edit I think Variac is in the Other tab on the amp block. Front panel I think its under advanced. I lowered it to 50% and it makes my patch just a bit more unstable than it was. I used the Tube Pre for as little color as possible, but turned up the Negative Feedback a bit and liked what it did for the power amp feel and adding some presence. Pretty happy with it so far, but not really done dialing things in.

I'm taking a break for now, but I'll try to post the patch later after I do a little more tweaking... just keep in mind I wasn't really trying to copy any existing NIN sounds, just using some of the tips that a few people on this thread have posted to create something that sounds so ugly it's beautiful.

There's still plenty of industrial going on. There's actually been a bit of a resurgence lately. Nothing that's getting as big as NIN did, but there's a solid underground scene right now. A couple of highlights are 3TEETH and Youth Code.

OK, not exactly a NIN tone, but inspired by this thread. If you have an XL, this patch might be a cool starting point for the some things. Might be a big darker than NIN and a lot of industrial, but I think it will fit well for my stuff. Might raise the low-cut in the cab a little for most people. Also, it uses the Null cab that iaresee linked to above, so it will probably sound really muddy with any other cabs.

Pretty Hate!

Uses 8 scenes with different effects on for each. FuzzFace with some bit reduction going into a Tube Pre, Ring Mod, Null Cab (with preamp adding grit), Resonator, Flanger, and finishing up with delay and reverb (usually very short studio mixed in lightly). Verb and delay are at the end in parallel. Scene one is more or less dry and works with chords... from there I add Ring Mod which kind of destroys chords, but sounds cool for single-note stuff. 5-8 mirror 1-4 but with delay on.

I hear you on that. Not sure how it could be implemented, but I was thinking it would be really cool for this. Love the way the ring mod sounds on my single note solo stuff on this patch, but chords just go crazy... and if you set up the ring mod for chords to sound less crazy, the effect isn't as cool for solo stuff.

@Genghis: Sound clips?

Not near my AxeII, and probably won´t be for another week or so... :miserable:

@Prometh, while 'chord modifier' is an interesting idea/concept. There isn´t much of 'how it perhaps would/could be done' technically from your view. Which I think would give it a better chance.

Is it based on something already there in the AxeII, and if so: what and how?
If not, how would you see it becoming possible given the features/specs you already have in the AxeII?

First thought that struck me was 'hexaphonic' pickup. Thus needing an multipin input jack, which doesn´t exist so that´s an dead end (unless an external box was introduced).

@miketheman The ultimate solution (however impossible at this time) would be 100% software. Melodyne Editor is already capable of separating the notes in chord of a single track recording.

@miketheman The ultimate solution (however impossible at this time) would be 100% software. Melodyne Editor is already capable of separating the notes in chord of a single track recording.

OK. I´m aware of it but I´ve seen very little of melodyne (except the interview of its inventor). Is melodyne capable of separating the notes in realtime, while you are playing?

I'm very much into these types of sounds.

For those that aren't familiar with the WMD Geiger Counter WMD - Geiger Counter Digital Destruction, it applies a plethora of available wave tables to the signal as well as some other tone enhancing/destroying effects. Could be a cool wish list suggestion and along the lines of what's been suggested in this thread.

Regarding wish list items, I'm not sure if it's best to be super specific about suggestions or if it's better to generalize things, leaving the creative interpretation to FAS. Either way, I hope to see more unusual tone-sculpting tools.

These might help you in your quest for lo-fi.

A few IRs I shot a while back from an amp I have that's made from a biscuit tin and powered by a 9-volt battery!

Enjoy

ps The amp itself is pictured here - where it says 'First Production Run' it's the blue one in the middle on the bottom...

Tin-Tone ~ Sonic Fascinators!

Attachments

• 081-JRC Tin Tone Closed.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 082-JRC Tin Tone Open.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 083-JRC Tin Tone Closed Off-Axis.syx
  • 084-JRC Tin Tone Open Off-Axis.syx
I'm very much into these types of sounds.

For those that aren't familiar with the WMD Geiger Counter WMD - Geiger Counter Digital Destruction, it applies a plethora of available wave tables to the signal as well as some other tone enhancing/destroying effects. Could be a cool wish list suggestion and along the lines of what's been suggested in this thread.

Regarding wish list items, I'm not sure if it's best to be super specific about suggestions or if it's better to generalize things, leaving the creative interpretation to FAS. Either way, I hope to see more unusual tone-sculpting tools.

I tried to look for it, but I couldn´t find any clips of the Geiger Counter with ONLY (or at least mostly) the wave table engaged. In one clip, there where a lot adjusting the bit and sample knobs. Which to me sounded very much like the sounds you´d get when working these parameters in the Drive block:

Clip type
Bias
Bit reduce
Sample rate

Regarding being specific in suggestions or just giving a generalized description. I think, in that, that it shows quite much how much thoughts and perhaps attempts to find workarounds that actually have gone into it. But just wishing for something/anything, and giving an generalized description. May lead others reading it, going: huh? (as in not understanding the potential), which risks not seeding any creative interpretation at all.

I´m not saying that that method does work better, more that I believe it does. If it were me being asked for improving something, I´d like to know what attempts that has been made (if any). Sometimes improvements may not be necessary for its own sake, but that the person asking for it may just need to broaden or changing their perspective a bit.

Promeths idea/concept is interesting and AFAIK not possible today in the AxeII. If it will ever be possible out of the box or not, that is something that only FAS can answer. I don´t know how much the Pitch Detector (modifier) can be improved in regard to anything polyphonic. If it would just (magically) track the latest note played, regardless of if any former notes are still sounding or not. Then perhaps it would be possible to include some extra functions that checks if there are more (of the former) notes than the last one played that are sounding. It would work in MIDI and/or synths (anything generating it own sound).

But I suspect that it doesn´t work in that 'magical' way, so the pitch detector just analyses the input in full. All frequencies at once. Including any intermodulation distortion (Intermodulation distortion (audio) - Glossary - Federal Agencies Digitization Guidelines Initiative) that inevitably will appear. Everyones guitar with their respective intonations, gives more or less intermodulation distortion at certain chords. And the choice of voicing the chord when anyone plays the guitar, and how hard the strings get pressed, and how low action the guitar has. Some better/worse than others. Now if everyone had an perfectly intonated guitar and that every chord was perfectly in harmonic tune (despite of the guitar being an equal temperament instrument). Maybe then it would be possible to keep an table for the AxeII comparing the inputs to all the known sets of 'chords' and their sounds, still an insanely huge list (intermodulation distortion, from whatever cause, just makes it infinite).

I don´t know, maybe it is possible to have the pitch detector to compare the pitch at the input to an list of known notes (their frequencies) as if played solo. And whenever, when it doesn´t find an exact match to that list, it temporarily switches an target parameter. I don´t know, maybe an very scaled down list of those notes would still be good enough. Only FAS can answer that.

However, it could also be that it (i e for Prometh) was something for a such specific need (i e in only one song or whatever). That it perhaps could be adressed in an whole different way. I e, could he alter what and how he is playing (where he needs this function) in such way that it makes the work for the pitch detector a lot easier. Or could he, based on that specific quest (if presented) actually be able to combine the pitch detector with one or two other modifiers? I e pitch + LFO + envelope: where pitch controls one part of the LFO, envelope controls another part of the LFO. And the LFO controls the parameter he needs the control of. Sometimes the creative interpretation isn´t in the forthcoming solutions, but in the options already aviable.

These might help you in your quest for lo-fi.

A few IRs I shot a while back from an amp I have that's made from a biscuit tin and powered by a 9-volt battery!

Enjoy

ps The amp itself is pictured here - where it says 'First Production Run' it's the blue one in the middle on the bottom...

Tin-Tone ~ Sonic Fascinators!

Hahaha! Gotta love that amp, thanks for the sharing. Now I miss being close to my AxeII even more, but will try the IRs out.

Anyone, found anything odd and/or interesting in using the Vocoder block? Think that block will be my next experiment. Hmmm, can I only use either inputs for carrier or analysis? Would be cool if I could provide an signal internally from a synthblock, and then one of the inputs for the guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8NpBWPL93s

Weird feeling. Circular if you wanna call it that.

Recognizing quite many of my own thoughts/philosophies and 'tricks' that Adrian Belew presented in there (that I know that I haven´t learned from anyone else). Only that he´s about almost 30 years in advance, I was 5 when he recorded that video (I think that I pretty much wasn´t even aware of guitars at that age). The only reason for me becoming aware of Adrian Belew at all, was when I learned his name and relation to NIN. I´ve been aware of the (name of the) bands: King Crimson and Talking Heads for years even before I started to listen to NIN. But haven´t ever listened to them (yet, AFAIK). Thus never knew his part in these bands, less about him.

This thread about NIN and similar sounds, knowing that both NIN and Adrian have got the AxeII. Seeing that video from 30 years ago, for the first time this evening. And recognizing a lot in my own thinking regarding guitar 'playing'. I´m thinking more in sounds, than how to play, always been. So I could as easily have been into synths instead, but guitar just happened to become my instrument when I grew up (my brother started with an nylon but got tired, I started to fiddling on it a couple of years later). Circular or something, strange.

Changing my mind: I think flanger deserves a lot more attention from me (around 16:00 in that video).

Man, I tell you, nothing has killed my time and ability to record like having kids! Finally got them all to sleep with enough hours left in my day to try and record something.

It's...nasty. But in that awfully wonderful way.

Patch: Axe-Change - Download Preset - With Nails - by iaresee

IR: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/81633-null-cab.html#post994642

It uses 3 scenes in that patch. One for the intro rhythm which is a Shred Distortion with some Dimension 1 chorus on it. One for the shots which is the same as the other but with no chorus. And the final one which is "clean" but is really a bit-crushed clean signal that fades to nasty at the very end.

I dig it. YMMV.

I can't wait to try these out when I get home. When I play out live blister in the sun is going to sound so authentic now!

Back
Top Bottom