• Tremsetter

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Tremol-No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
Esteemed Peanut Gallery,

i’m thinking of putting one of these on my Strandberg Boden 6 string.

What are the pros & cons of the two in your opinions?

Experiences and horror stories appreciated.

i Just ordered a Tremol-no for my OFR guitar, so I will let you know how it goes in the near future!

I have guitars with both, also some blocked down only. I myself think they should float or be hard tail.
The tem setter has the least ill effect but will not hold tune to go from e to drop d. the guitar also must be modified in a way that will not be repaired. the tremol no works if you lock it down in perfect tune, but if not when you return from an altered tuning and unlock it you have to retune any way. blocked you have that thud when the trem hits it, trem stoppers also have this. I would just use another guitar.

i've only tried the tremol-no. i think i got the 2nd version. it was maybe 10 years ago or more.

i used to on a JP6 petrucci guitar. it worked, but felt like it compromised the feel of the trem a bit. the benefits outweighed that, so it was ok. but i never used it on another guitar.

i both locked and one-way'd the guitar and it felt ok. the set screws had to be clamped down pretty tight to avoid me pushing the trem the wrong way, and i think i remember just a little bit of play. but it worked ok.

Had both, felt compromised on both. Turning guitar over on a gig for Tremel-no was inconvenient, then the thumbsrcew dropped out on a gig and was lost...I liked the tremsetter better but you could feel it on movements which bugged. Neither awful nor perfect.

I discovered the super Vee mag lok some years ago and have not looked back since.

Works perfectly when installed right, seamless, you don't know it's there or not, nothing to twiddle or adjust, if you break a string you're still okay, you can use d tuna and drop tunings, no issues, you can use the bar up, down, however you like, just as if it wasn't there

Honestly surprised it never caught on, but it's a simple genius solution that just WORKS

I have guitars with both, also some blocked down only. I myself think they should float or be hard tail.
The tem setter has the least ill effect but will not hold tune to go from e to drop d. the guitar also must be modified in a way that will not be repaired. the tremol no works if you lock it down in perfect tune, but if not when you return from an altered tuning and unlock it you have to retune any way. blocked you have that thud when the trem hits it, trem stoppers also have this. I would just use another guitar.
Exactly what he said. I'm a guitar tech for my secondary business and come across this all the time.

I had the Tremel-no at one point and don't think it was that great. I only used it in two "positions" (only down, and I think fully float). When I had to revisit the topic recently (for D-Tuna), I went with the ESP Arming Adjuster (yes, weird name). I have it in two guitars and am decently happy! The Rockinger posted above looks very similar.

Got to be careful a bit too with those knurled knobs on the Tremol-No. It does do a pretty good job.

The Super Vee is very nice...which I think I would prefer of them all.

To add to the above, the tremol-no has to be aligned perfectly or you will lose your flutter when floating. It is a PITA to get it aligned perfectly, but once you do it is good to go.

The tremel-no also requires you to use their integrated tremolo claw. May not be an issue for you. I personally want brass or titanium for my trem claw.

None of these types of solutions I have messed with are 100% transparent. I personally use different guitars for different tunings. YMMV

None of my guitars have any of these solutions in them anymore.

I looked at the tremsetter, never used it. Did not like that the guitar had to be modified for installation. I also disliked the (IMO) weird three piece tremolo claw. You lose flutter with the tremsetter.

Last edited:
This is the best way to go! You can set it loose or really tight. the guitar modification is very slight. (just a couple of tiny screw holes...
https://www.rockinger.com/en/parts/...es/244/rockinger-black-box-tremolo-stabilizer
This one work well too:
Amazon product ASIN B003C2V8D6
I was going to reply that this looks like half of an Ibanez Backstop... And that is almost literally what the product description says! :)

Interestingly, I own about a dozen Ibanez guitars that came with the Backstop and I've removed it from all of them. Never needed it or the extra weight.

I discovered the super Vee mag lok some years ago and have not looked back since.

Works perfectly when installed right, seamless, you don't know it's there or not, nothing to twiddle or adjust, if you break a string you're still okay, you can use d tuna and drop tunings, no issues, you can use the bar up, down, however you like, just as if it wasn't there

Honestly surprised it never caught on, but it's a simple genius solution that just WORKS
I've been wondering about those. I have a couple non-locking trems that just don't want to stay in tune. I may need to try one.

Side laugh: got an EC Artist Series about 6 years ago...

... didn’t know it came with the trem blocked, but it came with the trem bar, just like any other strat...

... put on the bar and tried to use it...

.... you can guess what happened next.

Side laugh: got an EC Artist Series about 6 years ago...

... didn’t know it came with the trem blocked, but it came with the trem bar, just like any other strat...

... put on the bar and tried to use it...

.... you can guess what happened next.
That happened to me with the tremol-no one too many times...I have a LOT of guitars and I can't always remember which have what installed, so I started labeling them on the back with whatever modifications on a piece of tape

This is after of course I screwed up a couple tremol-no units LOLL

They really have to be installed perfectly aligned to work properly, and they do work well, but I don't like fiddling around to unlock in the middle of a gig and it looks so wrong too hahahahaha

I've been wondering about those. I have a couple non-locking trems that just don't want to stay in tune. I may need to try one.
They work really well and are practically seamless. For the price I'd say give them a go and see how it works out

I have them in mostly floyd rose guitars but a couple in non locking ones too

The biggest trick IMHO to keep good tune for non locking terms is locking tuners and a WELL lubricated nut...I also oil and lube any other friction point like the string trees and bridge and even the side of the tuners and I can dive bomb and squeal freely. Works splendidly and I'm in tune till almost the end of the set after repeated abuses..even then it's only slightly off

I have a tremol-no in one of my guitars. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it, but so far it's been pretty unreliable. I has two screws which you tighten to block the tremolo, but both of them loosen all on their own after some time, so I can't really rely on it staying engaged, which, IMO, somewhat defeats the purpose. So it's there, but I don't use it much.

I've never tried the tremsetter, so can't compare, unfortunately.

I have a tremol-no in one of my guitars. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it, but so far it's been pretty unreliable. I has two screws which you tighten to block the tremolo, but both of them loosen all on their own after some time, so I can't really rely on it staying engaged, which, IMO, somewhat defeats the purpose. So it's there, but I don't use it much.

I've never tried the tremsetter, so can't compare, unfortunately.

This can happen if you do some.string changes and leave it locked. A quick trick is to always block the trem when changing strings. A cheap easy way it to use a couple picks.

Another thing may be if the alignment is not perfect, the slight angle will cause the screw to not seat flush, causing it to come loose relatively quickly

I've installed a Tremol-No in my pre-prestige era Ibanez RG but just use it to block the whole trem. For this it works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom