Tremolo/Panner Block Question

200man

Power User
-Trying to replicate the intensity of the tremolo on a fender twin.
-Assumed the depth parameter on the FM9 corresponds to the intensity knob on the twin.
-Seem to be stuck in that the twin’s intensity at 10 is WAY higher than the FM9’s depth parameter at 100%.
-Experimented with LFO types to no avail.

Anyone else run into this? Thanks for listening. :)

I don't understand. At full Depth, the signal alternates between full on and full off. It doesn't get more intense than that. :)

Okay…I‘m using a twin fed by the fm9 doing a direct compare and it doesn’t sound near as intense…

I’m going to try a few things….volume….and placing the trem block after the delay….and reverb

Yeah. In the real amp, the tremolo is after the spring reverb. That makes it sound much more intense since the reverb tails also have tremolo on them.

Due to component tolerances, the tremolo speed and depth can vary from amp to amp as well. Some sound more choppy and almost square wave sounding at high intensity settings while others are more subtle. Switching the LFO Type to Trapezoid will give you a more intense chop compared to the default triangle wave of the optical trem.

Last edited:
Yeah. In the real amp, the tremolo is after the spring reverb. That makes it sound much more intense since the reverb tails also have tremolo on them.

Due to component tolerances, the tremolo speed and depth can vary from amp to amp as well. Some sound more choppy and almost square wave sounding at high intensity settings while others are more subtle. Switching the LFO Type to Trapezoid will give you a more intense chop compared to the default triangle wave of the optical trem.
Tried the trapezoid…a little better…but the twin pulsates, unlike the ones tested, so I don’t think they’ve captured the twin’s LFO type…and as it decays it continues to pulsate in the twin while the tremolo effect weakens as it decays in the fm9.

Then try a square wave.

Post the preset so we can see what’s causing that.
Square wave…tried that sir….I think @mr_fender suggested the “best” of the ones in the list
I’ll have to mic the differences….to “hear” the real vs. modelled…before posting a preset

Tried the trapezoid…a little better…but the twin pulsates, unlike the ones tested, so I don’t think they’ve captured the twin’s LFO type…and as it decays it continues to pulsate in the twin while the tremolo effect weakens as it decays in the fm9.
The trem in the AB763 and later Fenders (except the Princeton's) uses an optoisolator driven by a neon bulb in the gain stage driven by the tremolo oscillator circuit. Lots of places between the oscillator and the audio circuit for the oscillator waveform to get clipped, dented, and distorted, and the oscillator is likely not a perfect sine wave to begin with. I think a graph of the resistance change of the optoisolator overlaid upon the oscillator waveform would be rather "interesting" and certainly enlightening.... That said, it sounds close to a square wave when the depth is jacked up a bit....

Do you have reverb on after the trem (either in the Fractal or on the Twin)? Or delay? If so, turn it off or move it before the trem.

Back
Top Bottom