Treble Boosters Old, New and In-between. Demo, story, Drive block and preset.

Burgs

Power User
Apologies as I have to drop a name for this one. One of my oldest friends, Andy Cichon, who plays bass for Billy Joel and Shania Twain, is also a killer guitarist. Andy loves his old Marshalls, fuzzes and overdrives, and lately, treble boosters. He's been consulting me about the latter and I've done my best to steer him right. It occurred to me during some conversations over the past week or so that I should be able to approximate the classic treble booster and/or its more recent clones in our beloved Axe-FX III. So I set to the task and so far this is as close as I've got. The video will tell all and the drive block is here for your amusement and critique. Have fun!

Video:

Preset: https://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7501

Drive Block:

Attachments

• Burg Treble Boost GE_20191201_124308.blk
    541 bytes · Views: 85
So you replaced the pickups on that Explorer?
Yeah. The guitar is a '76 RI which is basically a '59 RI so I asked Mick Brierley to wind me something that he approximated to a medium output and happy sounding PAF set. Much better. The Gibson high output pickups were unceremoniously passed on.

I inserted into your Brian May preset, and turned the tone knob in the TB up to about 4 (to suit my deteriorating cochleae). I can't play for s$&t but I'm digging the tone:

Edit: I should add: Red Special with volume knob about half.

Last edited:
Kind of a misnomer, to me those pedals thicken the mids more than the high end. In a very nice way...

Definitely wanted to hear that drive block in front of an AC30. Thanks! Sounds great.

I inserted into your Brian May preset, and turned the tone knob in the TB up to about 4 (to suit my deteriorating cochleae). I can't play for s$&t but I'm digging the tone:

Edit: I should add: Red Special with volume knob about half.

Back
Top Bottom