Treble bleed mod

I should have given more information before I asked the question. We are playing larger stages and I like to try and use the stage so the pedal idea isn't a popular one for me. I mostly am using the Friedman models, I love them. I play in a cover band that covers from Dolly Parton to Halestorm. On all the cleaner stuff I have a Vintage v52(dont bash me, I love that guitar) but for the heavier stuff I use a Suhr with Thornbucker. for most of the middle stuff and acoustic stuff I use my Anderson. the vintage cleans up perfectly, its the anderson and suhr both with humbuckers that i am having the problem with. I think I will try the mod.

I go 50s for my neck humbucker and modern for the bridge; works great for me. Some would say 60s instead of 50s might be better for noise rejection. I had 50s on my bridge, and the clean up was brighter than the sun, so I reverted to modern, but with a .010µF tone cap.

If you do go for a traditional treble bleed, you might save time by using the GuitarElectronics.com V-Treb, which allows you to dial in just how extreme of an effect you want from it.

I should have given more information before I asked the question. We are playing larger stages and I like to try and use the stage so the pedal idea isn't a popular one for me. I mostly am using the Friedman models, I love them. I play in a cover band that covers from Dolly Parton to Halestorm. On all the cleaner stuff I have a Vintage v52(dont bash me, I love that guitar) but for the heavier stuff I use a Suhr with Thornbucker. for most of the middle stuff and acoustic stuff I use my Anderson. the vintage cleans up perfectly, its the anderson and suhr both with humbuckers that i am having the problem with. I think I will try the mod.
Anderson and Suhr both have factory installed treble bleed circuits. Unless someone has modified them it should already be there.

Anderson and Suhr both have factory installed treble bleed circuits. Unless someone has modified them it should already be there.

wow, I did not know that. I was going to have my tech take a look at it. even when i use the splits, which both anderson and suhr have, it just does not clean up as well, maybe a bit more messing around with the gain. just another rabbit hole I've gotten myself in...........

wow, I did not know that. I was going to have my tech take a look at it. even when i use the splits, which both anderson and suhr have, it just does not clean up as well, maybe a bit more messing around with the gain. just another rabbit hole I've gotten myself in...........

Bought another guitar which was delivered today. It’s a PRS. It has a 180pf cap for a bleed. Works well.

I have a treble bleed on my custom PRS , I’m not super happy with it so was thinking I would try something else because I need to open it up to correct the phase on the pickups. I was trying to find out what Andy Timmons used and apparently he uses a cap and resister in series?

I’ve got one of these
https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/sprague-orange-drop-treble-bleed-kit/

A 0.001uf cap and a 130k resister.

I just wonder what part the cap plays in the sound vs the resister too

I got a bunch of resisters from an arduino midi controller project, shame I have no clips

I have a treble bleed on my custom PRS , I’m not super happy with it so was thinking I would try something else because I need to open it up to correct the phase on the pickups. I was trying to find out what Andy Timmons used and apparently he uses a cap and resister in series?

I’ve got one of these

I got a bunch of resisters from an arduino midi controller project, shame I have no clips
if i remember correct, tone is in the cap and taper of the pod in the resistor, tonewise different resistors didnt do much

I'm a big bypass cap fan.

Not saying you should, but you could use an expression pedal in the Axe to reduce volume early in the chain, instead of turning your guitar down.

Been doing this on a number of new presets in the edge-of-breakup zone, to go from punchy clean to GR-RRR! Works great.

A buffered volume pedal with a minimum volume setting would do this well IRL. Somewherein a drawer, I have a buffered volume built into a dead wah pedal ages ago, with the toe switch bringing in an adjustable volume boost....

I’ve got one of these

If it's just a volume and tone pair, you can wire the tone pot so that it adds series resistance to a treble bypass cap, giving you control over the amount of extra trebles you get....

Another vote against treble bleed...had them, removed them all. I find them to be shrill at times. I much prefer the 50's tone circuit.

One of the best features of the AXE-III is using the input block volume control with an expression pedal. You get gain and volume control with no tonal changes, and you can still use the guitar's volume when the tone rolloff may be desirable. I've always used a volume pedal anyway, and find this attibute in the AXE ridiculously useful.

I simply put a volume block before the amp and use my pedal instead of guitar volume knob. This retains enough highs for me when rolling the volume pedal down.
This is what I do as well, even without a modeler I used a Volume pedal that had a similar mod early in my chain.. gives me the option of lower volume retaining highs with the pedal, or lower volume with rounder highs with the guitar volume.. I do not like treble bleeds on my guitars.

Adding: Just saw OP does not want to be planted at your board... If you have a guitar where the electronics are all in the pickguard you could easily wire the bleed into a little switch and turn it on and off as needed if you want options on the guitar.

I've begun recently to try to recreate my control panel volume and tone knobs in the Axe, and I've found personally that I like to put a PEQ block in front of everything, then use the highest band as a Blocking Filter type at 6dB / Octave; I'll just adjust that to taste, and roll back the level of the block and keep that as an instantly recallable version of where I like to set it.

Cliff has confirmed you can't accurately recreate the vol / tone knobs from a guitar in the Axe, but to my ears you can still get close with the PEQ. I'm terrible about riding my volume and tone knobs all the time, and I was exploring the idea of going to set positions to make it easier to get to them instantly.

Here is my thread about that: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/1st-order-butterworth-filter-guitar-tone-control.185530/

Another vote against treble bleed...had them, removed them all. I find them to be shrill at times. I much prefer the 50's tone circuit.

Guess I should try the 50’s circuit for myself. What I don’t get is that guitar builders as far as I know rarely use it. Maybe a few do but every guitar I’ve owned had standard wiring.

Love the treble bleed. Allows you to clean up, particularly paired with low output p/u's. Clean to mean

The point of a treble bleed mod is to counteract the effect of the increased capacitance that comes with lowering a volume pot, which darkens the treble of a pickup faster than the bass.

So, to simulate a treble bleed mod, all you have to do is put a volume block at the beginning of your chain on the Axe-Fx’s grid and use a pedal to control the block level. This way, the sound of your pickups won’t change as you lower their volume.

Actually a volume block used in this way would be better than a treble bleed mod. A treble bleed mod can only approximate an unchanging tonal profile of a pickup, while a volume block on the grid will be perfect at accomplishing that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom