• Cap and resistor in parallel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cap Resistor and Coil

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

6L6C

Power User
Just curious how many of you people out there are using treble bleed circuits.

What I am really curios about is what type you are using, cap only, cap and resistor in parallel or cap and resistor in serious and why you choose this method.

Me personally I seem to like the cap and resistor in parallel and in my case I don’t mind it getting slightly dark but I don’t like the values to the point where the guitar gets brighter when you turn down. Of course values differ from guitar to guitar.

John

After much experimentation I found I prefer series. The parallel seemed to load down the pot too much, especially with a smaller resistor.

Its been awhile since I've looked inside my guitars but it I seem to remember using a 333 pf /270k combo (series).

The effect is more subtle and I have it on a pull switch.

I only use it on strats and teles. For LP's and other humbucker types I prefer '50's wiring which to my ear sounds like a treble boost.

Didn't like the cap/resistor method with humbuckers.

I only use it on strats and teles. For LP's and other humbucker types I prefer '50's wiring which to my ear sounds like a treble boost.

Didn't like the cap/resistor method with humbuckers.

Yeah same here, for my Les Paul’s are 50’s wiring. Darkens up a bit but I’m ok with that, at one time I had tried cap & resistor but had mixed results it’s was pretty good till you went into the 4-5 area then it started to brighten up the further you went down.

I keep it simple with just a 330 picofarad cap and have them installed on every electric I own.

Kind of the way I was thinking. At least with my tele and Strat, Happy with my Les Paul’s they way they are.

John

I've been using the .001 uF from Stew-Mac for decades. I tried Dimarzio's method, but noticed a jump in volume half way, so I went back. It's worked on all my guitars with an exception. I tried doing the Jimmy Page wiring on my LP and also an Epiphone Sheraton. Didn't take, I couldn't get the treble bleed happening, still is pretty muddy. Don't know if it has to do with the push-pull pots or what,.

I have to say that different guitars can need different approaches, and capacitors, resistors, and potentiometers can vary + 20% from their nominal value.

In the last year I've made three Teles. Different wood and pickups each time. Two have 250K tone controls, one with a capacitor, one with capacitor and 100K resistor in series. The third with a 500K tone and no treble bleed. Each time I've experimented with range and rate of change to get a combination which suits the guitar. The only common factor is that the potentiometers are good quality ones with a steady sweep.

Thanks for the feedback guy's!!
I was hoping more people would jump on board, but - oh well.
There again maybe allot of people don't even bother riding there volume or tone controls.

My Les Pauls have had 50's wiring for a few years now, but my Tele and Strat I just changed this past weekend.
I decided to go with the 50's wiring with them also, so far I have to say that is what works for me.

Funny thing the Tele sound did not seem to change when the volume is at 10 (which is what I expected) like my Les Pauls but the Strat did a little more quack (there again on 10), but nice!

John

Total rewired my G&L Tribute ASAT Special. Treble bleed circuit is parallel with a variable resistor Tiny little cube with a screw on the side). I've got it set where I don't notice any change in eq when using the guitar volume.

I tried some treble bleeds and to my ears the Kinman Style (in series with 130k res & ,0012uf cap ) is the most pleasent :)
Even with humbuckers...

Back
Top Bottom