Treating effects like "stomp boxes"...? Also Exp question...

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
Afternoon all,

I've been seriously considering upgrading to an XL/MFCmk3 combo to take advantage of FASLINK and other perks, but I had a couple questions before doing so that I'm hoping someone using an MFC (and version with any II/XL) can help me out with...

(1) Can I treat effects much in the same way as stomp boxes across different presets? For example, say I have two presets that are both simply amp1 - cab1 - delay1, and each preset defaults to scene 1, where neither has the delay block engaged... if I were to assign a MIDI command (CC#?) to "Delay 1" blocks, and turn on Delay1 on the first preset, is there a way to ensure Delay1 will remain on when I switch to preset #2?

I understand there are work-arounds, using scenes and such, but I'm asking if it's possible specifically with different presets.

(2) If I'm using something like the Mission SP-1 (expression pedal with momentary footswitch built in), can I assign it to two different expression controller numbers and switch between the two with the footswitch? say, Exp1 is set up to do an auto-engaged wah, but when I click the footswitch it defeats the wah block and engages a pitch block (or whatever else) and vice versa when I click the footswitch again.

...maybe instead of controlling two Exp#'s, what I'm really describing is the ability to assign two different blocks (in this case wah & pitch) to the same CC#, and building the patches with one on and the other off, but responding to the same expression commands, and then assigning the respective on/off commands to the same built-in footswitch?

Thanks guys! Let me know if I haven't been clear... following these sorts of things via typed words can be a pain sometimes, I know.

Afternoon all,

I've been seriously considering upgrading to an XL/MFCmk3 combo to take advantage of FASLINK and other perks, but I had a couple questions before doing so that I'm hoping someone using an MFC (and version with any II/XL) can help me out with...

(1) Can I treat effects much in the same way as stomp boxes across different presets? For example, say I have two presets that are both simply amp1 - cab1 - delay1, and each preset defaults to scene 1, where neither has the delay block engaged... if I were to assign a MIDI command (CC#?) to "Delay 1" blocks, and turn on Delay1 on the first preset, is there a way to ensure Delay1 will remain on when I switch to preset #2?

I understand there are work-arounds, using scenes and such, but I'm asking if it's possible specifically with different presets.

(2) If I'm using something like the Mission SP-1 (expression pedal with momentary footswitch built in), can I assign it to two different expression controller numbers and switch between the two with the footswitch? say, Exp1 is set up to do an auto-engaged wah, but when I click the footswitch it defeats the wah block and engages a pitch block (or whatever else) and vice versa when I click the footswitch again.

...maybe instead of controlling two Exp#'s, what I'm really describing is the ability to assign two different blocks (in this case wah & pitch) to the same CC#, and building the patches with one on and the other off, but responding to the same expression commands, and then assigning the respective on/off commands to the same built-in footswitch?

Thanks guys! Let me know if I haven't been clear... following these sorts of things via typed words can be a pain sometimes, I know.

1) No. However, the XL has enough power that you could setup a single preset with 4 different amp tones and use footswitches to switch between those. You would have to setup everything within one scene in a given preset. I do something similar in some presets with 2 different amp tones. I have a footswitch that essentially toggles between the two tones and whatever effects I have assigned to footswitches are maintained when the amps switch.

2) To do exactly what you want to do, you would want a (discontinued) Mission SP2 pedal. But you can do what you're talking about with the SP1. The same controller will be controlling wah and pitch, but the button press will essentially toggle different effects on/off to do what you want.
-
Austin

Last edited:
I don't think 1 is possible because presets are "wiping the slate clean" so to speak. They are only going to load as they were saved. So if the delay isn't engaged when saved it's not going to turn on because of something you did the preset before.

2 is totally possible you set your switch for the two blocks you want to engage but opposite. e.g. Set Switch 1 to control bypass of Wah so that "Min" is Off and "Max" is On. set it for Pitch so that "Min" is On and "Max" is Off.

1) No. However, the XL has enough power that you could setup a single preset with 4 different amp tones and use footswitches to switch between those. You would have to setup everything within one scene in a given preset. I do something similar in some presets with 2 different amp tones. I have a footswitch that essentially toggles between the two tones and whatever effects I have assigned to footswitches are maintained when the amps switch.

-
Austin

This is interesting! I was just talking about this with a buddy, and I think he was saying sort of the same thing, although I'm not quite sure I followed...

As I (now) understand it, X/Y can be used to not only change amp block parameters, but also change to completely different amp models. So if I use 2 amp blocks, each with X/Y, that's 4 amp tones, correct?

So, is it possible to toggle X/Y and switch which amp is active, while staying on a given scene, so that effects remain unchanged? I have no problem assigning a 3rd (or even 4th) footswitch to the task if it can be done... say, footswitch 1 & 2 toggle between amp block 1 & 2, footswitch 3 & 4 choose X/Y state? or am I missing something?

For (1) you could configure a general-use IA with "global" and "send w/ preset" enabled. This would force the new preset to match the last IA state.

For (1) you could configure a general-use IA with "global" and "send w/ preset" enabled. This would force the new preset to match the last IA state.
Ok, that sounds like exactly what I was originally thinking... set up footswitches to various effects that I want to turn on/off on the fly across presets. I'm at a bit of a loss on the how-to of setting this up though. Sorry, I don't actually have an MFC yet. Would you mind linking me to where this is discussed on the Wiki or manual (or wherever)?

EDIT: ok, think I found some good stuff... much reading to do!

Last edited:
This is interesting! I was just talking about this with a buddy, and I think he was saying sort of the same thing, although I'm not quite sure I followed...

As I (now) understand it, X/Y can be used to not only change amp block parameters, but also change to completely different amp models. So if I use 2 amp blocks, each with X/Y, that's 4 amp tones, correct?

So, is it possible to toggle X/Y and switch which amp is active, while staying on a given scene, so that effects remain unchanged? I have no problem assigning a 3rd (or even 4th) footswitch to the task if it can be done... say, footswitch 1 & 2 toggle between amp block 1 & 2, footswitch 3 & 4 choose X/Y state? or am I missing something?

I use 1 button to switch paths using volume blocks. One path has amp1, the other has amp2. So using one button you can toggle between the 2 amps. For xy you can assign one footswitch to amp1 xy and another to amp2 xy. This means you might have to press two footswitches to switch tones (say to go from amp1 X to amp2 y).
-
Austin

Can the far right column of buttons be reassigned? Like if I wanted the lower right to be a tuner or tap tempo button, but not have the normal "DOWN" function?

Afternoon all,

If you use a latched(instead of momentary) pedal such as a Roland FS6 or FS7 and have your delay set to the same controller then it would retain the delay across preset. Actually, this behavior kind of annoys me at times.

there are so many preset slots in the xl, you could make patches with different states of preset on or off if you wanted to. If you are planning on playing live with this setup most utilize scenes as was already suggested. you have 8 to chose from and can set up many effect chains to 1 switch. I set mine up rhythm1, clean, lead 1, rhytm2, lead 2. and use the other 3 for funky stuff. so I set up patches by amp type.

If you use a latched(instead of momentary) pedal such as a Roland FS6 or FS7 and have your delay set to the same controller then it would retain the delay across preset. Actually, this behavior kind of annoys me at times.
You must also make sure the reset on PC change is turned off for the patches.

I think I'm really starting to see the light of using scenes.

One last question, couldn't seem to find the answer digging through wiki & youtube, where you have the option of choosing the number of preset buttons, is there also an option of where to put them? Or maybe where the first one goes? Say I wanted 4 or 5 of them to go across the third row instead of the bottom row, is that possible?

I think I'm really starting to see the light of using scenes.

One last question, couldn't seem to find the answer digging through wiki & youtube, where you have the option of choosing the number of preset buttons, is there also an option of where to put them? Or maybe where the first one goes? Say I wanted 4 or 5 of them to go across the third row instead of the bottom row, is that possible?
Yes .....but only on the MFC, mark lll........

With the mkIII mfc you can move the preset buttons up in preset mode (you can select were the preset switches start from 1 up but not from 17 down) 1-5 could be IA and 6-17 could be presets(example). you can also use presets on all 17 switches and use revel mode to switch to 17 IA switches. once revel mode is engaged you can bank to a preset and once selected it can automaticly go back to revel mode. I myself use preset size 0 so the 2 bank buttons become preset up down buttons and I leave the revel mode on.

Set up a preset with 2 Amp blocks and a bunch of effects. Then using scenes you can turn 'on' or 'off' any combination of blocks and the 'X/Y' state of any combination of (X/Y capable) blocks. These 'Scenes' can be your 4 or 5 or 8? main sounds.

And then still have access to all of the remaining IA switches as your 'Stomp Boxes'. And those 'Stomp Box' IA switches can hold there states across scene changes if 'Scene Revert' is set to 'off'.

Set up a preset with 2 Amp blocks and a bunch of effects. Then using scenes you can turn 'on' or 'off' any combination of blocks and the 'X/Y' state of any combination of (X/Y capable) blocks. These 'Scenes' can be your 4 or 5 or 8? main sounds.

And then still have access to all of the remaining IA switches as your 'Stomp Boxes'. And those 'Stomp Box' IA switches can hold there states across scene changes if 'Scene Revert' is set to 'off'.
I think that's what I'm now planning on doing, 1-4 scenes, 6-9 IAs, and 11-14 presets (5, 10, 15, and 17 I need as "global" IAs - I think - to operate an external looper pedal), with 16 being a combo tap tempo/tuner...

With at least one other external switch, probably inside a Mission pedal, I think I should be set.

Does anyone know if the amp block bias trem depth can be activated by a footswitch and also have a modifier applied to its sweep?

Does anyone know if the amp block bias trem depth can be activated by a footswitch and also have a modifier applied to its sweep?

AFAIK there is only one modifier per knob. I would personally just recommend setting the depth sweep to be controlled by the modifier, that will let you go form off to on and everywhere in between. You could set one of your IA switches on the MFC to be a wild card switch and then set the external switch value for that IAto the the depth knob so that it goes 0 when off and 100 (or some other amount of "on-ness") when clicked, you wouldn't then be able to control the sweep with another controller then unfortunately.

Scene revert won't do that--it's about using last stored vs. most recent state of the scene you're recalling. The easiest way to keep state across scenes would be Ext Ctrls as bypass modifiers.

Back
Top Bottom