travelling from abroad to US (Chicago) to play

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
On May 1st, we'll be playing at a festival in Chicago.
The organizers are booking our flights as tourists and have advised us not to take any instruments or equipment with us.
The backline will be provided for the headliner and most other bands will be able to use it.
Since I'm not using a conventional backline, I would like to use a (my) Axe-FX.

I was wondering if this would pose a problem if I did take my Axe-Fx, guitar & controller to the States, as a tourist.

You have lied about the purpose of the trip to avoid fees and now must ride that lie to the end. If you bring stuff and it causes a problem the promoter will never deal with you again.

You have lied about the purpose of the trip to avoid fees and now must ride that lie to the end. If you bring stuff and it causes a problem the promoter will never deal with you again.

Humm, the way it reads it sounds as if the promoter is the one that is being untruthful which sucks for MisterE as he doesn't get to use his gear.

I was wondering if this would pose a problem if I did take my Axe-Fx, guitar & controller to the States, as a tourist.

I am sure there are some Fractal devotees in the area, perhaps someone will chime in to help with a loan (along with a backstage pass to babysit his rig!). Short of that, the Axe FX is carry-on size, so you could carry it with you. I'm not much of an international player, but I am likely going to face this later in the year with a middle east gig on the books. That's where it's good to be familiar with commonly available tube amps so you can work with what's there.

Let us know how it comes out, you might save some of us some headaches further on down the line.

What festival is it? Are you able to bring guitars?
I live outside Chicago, might be able to help out depending on schedule/logistics

Sent from my iPhone

Same question as Bill. I live in the city, but May 1st is a Friday and a regular old work day for me. Depending on when you guys play and where this actually is I may be able to help you out. PM me on here. Also, I'm curious as to which promotor/booking company you are working with here because I have worked with/have relationships with a few and it seems like this guy is being shady to save a few bucks.

What festival is it? Are you able to bring guitars?
I live outside Chicago, might be able to help out depending on schedule/logistics

That's very kind.
We're not allowed to bring anything. At least not officially.
That's why I asked about it.
Can you, as a tourist, bring a guitar and electrical equipment along.
Our management has asked us to fill out a form with requests for instruments and equipment.
So I'll have to wait if they can provide the necessary tools.

We're playing at Ragnarökkr Metal Apocalypse
Our band is Ostrogoth.

The organizers are booking our flights as tourists and have advised us not to take any instruments or equipment with us.

The organizers are stupid and you are risking being banned from traveling the US again if you get caught. Just because you aren't being paid money doesn't mean you aren't working; tourist visas restrict activities.

I've played in the US many times, coming in from Canada, and getting a visa at the boarder was never that hard.

You're assuming all the risk here. Customs isn't going to care that "the organizers" told you to do it this way. It's going to be you who endures the fallout of this. I'd say make sure the reward is worth it...

Last edited:

Doesn't seem like a promoter I'd WANT to deal with again.

You're assuming all the risk here. Customs isn't going to care that "the organizers" told you to do it this way. It's going to be you who bares the fallout of this. I'd say make sure the reward is worth it...

Solid counsel here. With having friends from Germany and Poland who have traveled here for work multiple times, the specific visas tell visitors specifically what they can do in the US. I wouldn't go as far as saying that the vendor is being deceitful since they aren't "hiring" you to come. However, they're compensating for your time while your here which might make customs a hint nervous. Perhaps the venue is also a tourist business you never know. Just be careful and use discretion, we wouldn't want to not see you here in the U.S. because of a 'Ragnarok Metal Apocalypse'.

Happened to me before, I've done a few gigs in the Middle East and on a couple of occasions the work visa wasn't ready so the organiser told us to say we were tourists for the passport checks, but not security and customs.

I've been looking at the procedure to obtain a P-visa and it seems to be a lot of hassle with no guarantee for success.
I didn't know it was so hard to get to the States to play.

Just play the instruments they give you and save yourself the hassle. If you are good, it does not matter if you are playing a broom stick with one string :)

Something to note- this "festival" is at a little club here in Chicago. It's not a bad club, but it isn't a big club and definitely isn't where a true festival as you might envision it would be put on. Place at max will only hold a few hundred people.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Don't know the regulations at all, but wouldn't think as "tourists" it would be a big deal to bring 1 instrument. I've gone on real vacations and brought my guitar with. But I would think multiples and electronics would cause red flags.
Even a "group" of "tourists" all traveling with instruments might be a problem.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom