Traveling with the AX8 ...... (Very long post) :0)

Larry Mitchell

Power User
Traveling with the AX8

I'm just getting back from Italy. My first overseas trip with the AX8. I have to say it's been a breeze! I'm very used to traveling with the awesome AXE FX -ultra then the II and then XL. I've traveled with the AXE FX in a two space carry on bag and check the MFC 101 in my suitcase with my clothes. That's worked well when the airlines haven't lost my luggage and when I have the MFC wrapped In a towel or in plastic bag of some sort so my clothes don't get dirty from the dust and first you get on it at festivals and grimy clubs. :0)

Back to the AX8. I have mine inside a laptop carry bag for a few reasons. I also have to travel with my guitars. I have a custom designed double gig bag that holds my main electric guitar a Knaggs Severn and either a thin Ibanez SCN nylon string or a Godin ASC slim nylon string. I usually have to play acoustic and electric at shows. The bag has no out side pouch so I can't fill it too much that it wont fit in the overhead. Things can get bulky up there. I also want to look like everything is as small as possible .

So getting onboard with a double gig bag that looks like it's the size of a normal guitar case and a laptop bag has worked well for me. Most airlines people don't want to take away your computer. :0) in the laptop bag I can slide my iPad in for movies, digital magazines and snacks. But it's still pretty small in size also it has the Ev -5 expression pedal. I rarely have anyone even question this as my carry on. Even on internal flights in other countries where they seem to be a bit more carry on size conscious.

Now some of you might say why not just get great flight cases and check everything. Hmmm maybe if I was doing really high end tours like the old days I might (it's really expensive once you get over two checked bags and heads up. If you are in Russia, you get on free check bag but if you check a second bag you will pay a lot for that and you have to pay for it on every connection. Imagine if you can-flying from NYC to LA and changing planes in Chicago. Well for the second bag say it coast you $50, you will have to pay $50 to get it to Chicago then $50 to get it to LA. Same coming back. This can add up if you are flying to every city and there are some drives in Russia you just don't want to do. :0)

Now the carrying part. If you've not traveled abroad before you have to get off the plane with your carry on baggage and usually walk a long #%#^ way to a kind of holding place called PASSPORT control. No one can help you carry your stuff there. Your not officially in that country or back in America until you go through. And I mean it can be a walk depending on what airport your in.. I used to dread this with the axe fx and my guitars. I still have shoulder issues from the guitars. I'm very lucky though. Some countries Godin will set up a loner guitar for me in that country. Which means I travel with just one guitar! Yay. Easier to carry. With the AX8 it was pretty easy. Now everything and I mean everything thing becomes heavier after you've been touring for a few weeks. :0). This trip was pretty cool though.

There is also a great feeling of knowing I'm carry my full rig with me at all times. I can get more clothes, Or borrow a wireless if I have to if I get there and my bag goes to Guam! I love knowing that I'm carrying 2 guitars and basically a cargo container of amps, effects and tones!!!

Security, at a lot of shows we did sound checks then went to eat (Italy) then did the show very late and then guess what (Italy) you eat again Every time I've gotten out of the van this trip. I took my guitar and AX8 with me into the Resturant. Paranoid? Hmmm they would say "you don't have to bring its safe, We can keep an eye on it from inside!" I'd say really? Then they would look at me a go ... "Yeah your right". I have several friends who had their gear stolen on tour. In the USA and in many other countries. I wouldn't leave my gear in a car in the USA on tour. I'm not gonna do it in another country where I don't even know what the area I'm in is all about. Gear stolen would greatly effect the out come of the rest of the tour for me! :0)

Ease of use. Tip - grab and bring a power cable or put one in your Ryder for the country your in. They are easy enough to find in what every country your in. But have them get one for you either at every club or festival or one as soon as you land. The ax8 and axe fx have auto switch power so just need to change the plug. My Sennhieser wireless is as well. My back up rig is a tech 21 fly rig I would need a power supply or a just a simple plug converter as its auto switching as well.
Everything adds weight. Yes 3 cables are not that much but when you are carrying your rig every day into a hotel. Out of a hotel into the club out of the club and back into the hotel everyday And that long walk to customs it all adds up! :0)

The sounds guys all but one questioned my going direct. Not a major thing they seemed to think that there was a langue miss understanding but every one of them came over a looked at it hard once I started playing two called other guitar player friends to come check it out at the show. One guy knew the name Fractal very well. I heard him tell another guitarist in Italian all about it. But he had not seen the AX8. I'm thinking it might have been the only one in the country this past two weeks.

PA systems and monitors stage size.. Hmm this tour was part sideman and part me as an artist with my show right in the middle of the singers. Most places only had 4 monitors max and some had two monitor mixes. They ran stereo PA systems but not a lot of monitor mixes. Twice I just use my monitor directly from output 2 and sent stereo output 1 to the house. That way I had just my own guitar and nothing else in there and it worked great. I did automatically size up the stage as soon as I would get there every show and try to figure out where I was going to put the axe fx and the Mfc and then went wait. I just need floor space. That was great.. As we did play a few really small stages. :0)

Oh. I Did a cool recording session while in Teramo Italy with the AX8 and it was awesome. I've used it on my records and ones I've produced but this was a totally different kind of session. Playing live pretty much with a language barriers between me and the engineer. He seemed to enjoy the sounds. :0)

To sum it up, I love traveling with the AX8!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 121
Yes, great post!

I have my first fly date coming up and I recently got the AX8 as well which will be perfect. I'm going California to Hawaii and I plan to bring my guitar in a gig bag.

Any tips on bringing the guitar on the plane? Have you ever run into trouble with that?

Larry, thanks for sharing your experience and tips! I couldn't agree more about how convenient it is to travel with the AX8 as your rig; although less frequent as you, my travels are similar. AX8 in a laptop bag, and guitar in a soft (good quality) gig bag. Super small stage footprint, set-up/tear-down in minutes, and no aching back. The two additional flying keys for me are 1) find a way to be at the front of your boarding group to maximize your chances of getting overhead bin space before it runs out, and 2) be kind to the flight attendants....more often than not, they will place my guitar in a closet. I'm currently on a travel date in NL, and it has been a breeze.

Attachments

• AX8 Profile.jpg
    AX8 Profile.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 63
Larry, thanks for sharing your experience and tips! I couldn't agree more about how convenient it is to travel with the AX8 as your rig; although less frequent as you, my travels are similar. AX8 in a laptop bag, and guitar in a soft (good quality) gig bag. Super small stage footprint, set-up/tear-down in minutes, and no aching back. The two additional flying keys for me are 1) find a way to be at the front of your boarding group to maximize your chances of getting overhead bin space before it runs out, and 2) be kind to the flight attendants....more often than not, they will place my guitar in a closet. I'm currently on a travel date in NL, and it has been a breeze.
Yes, absolutely be nice to the crew! And try to get on a early as you can. ;0)

Yes, great post!

I have my first fly date coming up and I recently got the AX8 as well which will be perfect. I'm going California to Hawaii and I plan to bring my guitar in a gig bag.

Any tips on bringing the guitar on the plane? Have you ever run into trouble with that?
As musician77 said. Be nice to the flight crew. Try to go on as early as possible while the bin space is available.on a recent flight. My plane was late and my connecting flight was all boarded except me. As I boarded the plane I smiled but with concern and the flight attendant came right over and I have an idea! There where open seats but no more bin space. :0)
image.jpeg

It's been a long time since I had to fly with gear - it used to suck 20-30 years ago, I can't imagine it's more fun now. I just play in the local bars but I don't wanna carry anything more than what I have to. At least one of my bands is likely going to go with IEM - I'm looking forward to not hauling a bunch of monitors around.

That is awesome Larry! It's excellent to hear that you are back safe and sound and it was a great trip. I am sure you tore it up and people flipped out at the tones and magic you draw from the guitar.

Traveling with the AX8

I'm just getting back from Italy. My first overseas trip with the AX8. I have to say it's been a breeze! I'm very used to traveling with the awesome AXE FX -ultra then the II and then XL. I've traveled with the AXE FX in a two space carry on bag and check the MFC 101 in my suitcase with my clothes. That's worked well when the airlines haven't lost my luggage and when I have the MFC wrapped In a towel or in plastic bag of some sort so my clothes don't get dirty from the dust and first you get on it at festivals and grimy clubs. :0)

Back to the AX8. I have mine inside a laptop carry bag for a few reasons. I also have to travel with my guitars. I have a custom designed double gig bag that holds my main electric guitar a Knaggs Severn and either a thin Ibanez SCN nylon string or a Godin ASC slim nylon string. I usually have to play acoustic and electric at shows. The bag has no out side pouch so I can't fill it too much that it wont fit in the overhead. Things can get bulky up there. I also want to look like everything is as small as possible .

So getting onboard with a double gig bag that looks like it's the size of a normal guitar case and a laptop bag has worked well for me. Most airlines people don't want to take away your computer. :0) in the laptop bag I can slide my iPad in for movies, digital magazines and snacks. But it's still pretty small in size also it has the Ev -5 expression pedal. I rarely have anyone even question this as my carry on. Even on internal flights in other countries where they seem to be a bit more carry on size conscious.

Now some of you might say why not just get great flight cases and check everything. Hmmm maybe if I was doing really high end tours like the old days I might (it's really expensive once you get over two checked bags and heads up. If you are in Russia, you get on free check bag but if you check a second bag you will pay a lot for that and you have to pay for it on every connection. Imagine if you can-flying from NYC to LA and changing planes in Chicago. Well for the second bag say it coast you $50, you will have to pay $50 to get it to Chicago then $50 to get it to LA. Same coming back. This can add up if you are flying to every city and there are some drives in Russia you just don't want to do. :0)

Now the carrying part. If you've not traveled abroad before you have to get off the plane with your carry on baggage and usually walk a long #%#^ way to a kind of holding place called PASSPORT control. No one can help you carry your stuff there. Your not officially in that country or back in America until you go through. And I mean it can be a walk depending on what airport your in.. I used to dread this with the axe fx and my guitars. I still have shoulder issues from the guitars. I'm very lucky though. Some countries Godin will set up a loner guitar for me in that country. Which means I travel with just one guitar! Yay. Easier to carry. With the AX8 it was pretty easy. Now everything and I mean everything thing becomes heavier after you've been touring for a few weeks. :0). This trip was pretty cool though.

There is also a great feeling of knowing I'm carry my full rig with me at all times. I can get more clothes, Or borrow a wireless if I have to if I get there and my bag goes to Guam! I love knowing that I'm carrying 2 guitars and basically a cargo container of amps, effects and tones!!!

Security, at a lot of shows we did sound checks then went to eat (Italy) then did the show very late and then guess what (Italy) you eat again Every time I've gotten out of the van this trip. I took my guitar and AX8 with me into the Resturant. Paranoid? Hmmm they would say "you don't have to bring its safe, We can keep an eye on it from inside!" I'd say really? Then they would look at me a go ... "Yeah your right". I have several friends who had their gear stolen on tour. In the USA and in many other countries. I wouldn't leave my gear in a car in the USA on tour. I'm not gonna do it in another country where I don't even know what the area I'm in is all about. Gear stolen would greatly effect the out come of the rest of the tour for me! :0)

Ease of use. Tip - grab and bring a power cable or put one in your Ryder for the country your in. They are easy enough to find in what every country your in. But have them get one for you either at every club or festival or one as soon as you land. The ax8 and axe fx have auto switch power so just need to change the plug. My Sennhieser wireless is as well. My back up rig is a tech 21 fly rig I would need a power supply or a just a simple plug converter as its auto switching as well.
Everything adds weight. Yes 3 cables are not that much but when you are carrying your rig every day into a hotel. Out of a hotel into the club out of the club and back into the hotel everyday And that long walk to customs it all adds up! :0)

The sounds guys all but one questioned my going direct. Not a major thing they seemed to think that there was a langue miss understanding but every one of them came over a looked at it hard once I started playing two called other guitar player friends to come check it out at the show. One guy knew the name Fractal very well. I heard him tell another guitarist in Italian all about it. But he had not seen the AX8. I'm thinking it might have been the only one in the country this past two weeks.

PA systems and monitors stage size.. Hmm this tour was part sideman and part me as an artist with my show right in the middle of the singers. Most places only had 4 monitors max and some had two monitor mixes. They ran stereo PA systems but not a lot of monitor mixes. Twice I just use my monitor directly from output 2 and sent stereo output 1 to the house. That way I had just my own guitar and nothing else in there and it worked great. I did automatically size up the stage as soon as I would get there every show and try to figure out where I was going to put the axe fx and the Mfc and then went wait. I just need floor space. That was great.. As we did play a few really small stages. :0)

Oh. I Did a cool recording session while in Teramo Italy with the AX8 and it was awesome. I've used it on my records and ones I've produced but this was a totally different kind of session. Playing live pretty much with a language barriers between me and the engineer. He seemed to enjoy the sounds. :0)

To sum it up, I love traveling with the AX8!
Italy rocks been there twice...

When you go thru TSA do you have to take the AX8 out like it was a laptop?
I do sometimes. So,e times they stop me and say leave it in. But I always open the the laptop bag. Sometimes they want to see what's underneath it.

One times TSA agent wanted to take the AxE FX II out of the rack. I had opened both flaps of the two space rack back. I said I would need the use of a screw driver. He said, okay. And let me go.

:0)

Back
Top Bottom