Traveling with the AX8 ...... (Very long post) :0)

It's been a long time since I had to fly with gear - it used to suck 20-30 years ago, I can't imagine it's more fun now. I just play in the local bars but I don't wanna carry anything more than what I have to. At least one of my bands is likely going to go with IEM - I'm looking forward to not hauling a bunch of monitors around.
I've been flying with guitars and gear since 1988. In many ways I think it's easier now because of the AX8 and other gear out there now. Checking gear has always and is still a guessing game to a night mare. :0)

I do sometimes. So,e times they stop me and say leave it in. But I always open the the laptop bag. Sometimes they want to see what's underneath it.

One times TSA agent wanted to take the AxE FX II out of the rack. I had opened both flaps of the two space rack back. I said I would need the use of a screw driver. He said, okay. And let me go.

:0)
Nice....

Hey Larry - quick question if you have a chance. I flying to cancun in April for a corp. gig and I have one of those mono Dual cases. We're flying American. Do you think I'll be alright bringing that on the plane instead? Last year we flew United and the fine print said must be in hard case, but I don't think anyone would have questioned me bringing on the dual bag. Plus as you were saying it makes things easier when walking around lugging gear. I could have a guitar and then the AX8 in the other guitar part of the bag.

Hey Larry - quick question if you have a chance. I flying to cancun in April for a corp. gig and I have one of those mono Dual cases. We're flying American. Do you think I'll be alright bringing that on the plane instead? Last year we flew United and the fine print said must be in hard case, but I don't think anyone would have questioned me bringing on the dual bag. Plus as you were saying it makes things easier when walking around lugging gear. I could have a guitar and then the AX8 in the other guitar part of the bag.
Hmmm tricky. The mono dual bags I've seen have tended to be really big if you can get in the over head bin then it should be ok. I tend to take a really small double bag. It holds two guitars but it looks like it's the size of an acoustic or Hollobody guitar. Try to get on early enough to have free over head space.

Thanks for sharing your stories, Larry.

A quick question for you. On these travel gigs, what's your backup plan in case your main rig fails for some reason?

Thanks for sharing your stories, Larry.

A quick question for you. On these travel gigs, what's your backup plan in case your main rig fails for some reason?
Hmm I've been carrying around a Tech 21 fly rig 5 since it came out it has a Plexi drive. Boost reverb amp some and tap tempo delay I also have a Eventide H9. Both easy to travel with along with the AX8
I've not had any issues that would stop me from playing a show with my axe fx II or the ax8 though. I've been usuing the axe fx II since actually before it came out For sale :0) ultra before that.

I love this thread. With luck I hope to hit the road with my own band relatively soon. I've got the AX8. I've had the Ultra and still have my AFII. I need to take two guitars - Gibson ES355 and a Strat. I'm not sure about the venues. I've never relied in playing through the PA. For shorter runs I intend to bring my XiTone, two where possible. Though this is in theory as they haven't even arrived yet. But I'm very interested in transportation. I have two ATA cases for my guitars but they're a serious pita. Hoping to take the AX8 on board in a computer case.

Back
Top Bottom