Traveling with 2 guitars

piofusco

Inspired
Hey guys,

Making a trip to Nashville to get some recording done. I have two strat style guitars to take with me. Any suggestions? Obviously, I would prefer not to check them. I did find this case and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it:

MONO M80 Dual Electric Guitar Case

Looks like I could fit both and store it in the overhead?

Any other suggestions would be grand.

Thanks.

Depends on the size of plane. If you are traveling on a regional jet 2x2 seater, they probably wont even let you bring it on the plane, even though you are allowed too mainly because it wont fit. On larger jets, you can sometimes get it in a coat closet up front, or in the overhead bins...but your best bet is to "gate check" the case. Basically carry it all the way through TSA to your gate and ask for a tag. You drop your guitar at the end of the ramp and they take it and put it under the plane there. You pick it up at the same place after the flight.

But honestly, checking guitars has gotten alot better. My band recently checked 4 guitars for a fly date show to Austin TX for SXSW and we didnt have any issues. They only questioned my pedalboard at TSA becuase it looked like explosives....

I fly a lot... I haven't been able to 'carry on' a guitar since about 1997... I don't even bother now, just invest in a good quality flight case (or 2 if you're intent on taking 2 guitars) and you'll be fine. I've flown a couple of hundred times or more in the past 2 decades and only had an issue once... and that was probably my fault because i forgot to loosen the strings off and arrived to find the trem on my Ibanez Jem BR had totally come off the bridge poles and had smashed up the scratch plate.

Oh, and I can't stress enough the importance of having world wide insurance coverage on your gear... just for that extra peace of mind.

I do however carry on my AX8 ;)

I use the Mono Dual every week, it's an awesome case but I wouldn't fly with it. I don't think you could get it in an overhead (most airlines have cut overhead lengths to under 24" or place under seat), and it is essentially a well made gig bag, protection-wise. Hard to beat a hard (minimum) or flight (best) case if you're going to have to toss it to the baggage handlers.

Back
Top Bottom