Travel with AXE FX III

sidsin

Inspired
I carry my AXE FX III and FC-12 to my band practices twice a week.Both around a 30 min drive from my house. I carry the AXE in a GATOR case and the FC 12 in another travel bag.

Is that okay? Or too rough?

I would think that's perfectly fine, unless you need to travel on really rough roads - or are a professional stunt driver :)

Both those pieces of equipment are tour-worthy, and built with durability in mind. I toured with my AxeFX II (and now my AxeFX III) in lightweight SKB racks, and never had a single problem. When we did gigs / tours where I wasn't handling my own gear, I always put everything in standard flight cases. However, for local stuff, and when I'm handling my own equipment, the SKB rack and a lightweight case for my pedal are all I need.

If you happen to BE a professional stunt driver, then I want to carpool with you because that would be pretty awesome.

You should be fine, unless you like to throw gear around and drag it down the sidewalk. :p

I carry my III in an SKB case with the FC12 in a backpack.

I would think that's perfectly fine, unless you need to travel on really rough roads - or are a professional stunt driver :)

Both those pieces of equipment are tour-worthy, and built with durability in mind. I toured with my AxeFX II (and now my AxeFX III) in lightweight SKB racks, and never had a single problem. When we did gigs / tours where I wasn't handling my own gear, I always put everything in standard flight cases. However, for local stuff, and when I'm handling my own equipment, the SKB rack and a lightweight case for my pedal are all I need.

If you happen to BE a professional stunt driver, then I want to carpool with you because that would be pretty awesome.
I travel within Milwuakee, so the the roads are your typical Midwest roads with some wear and tear, but mostly freeways. Obviously a few speed bumps :p..

Wish I was a professional stunt driver! Maybe take that up as another career :D

If you can put your rack on the backseat without fear of it falling or getting knocked around, that does give it some protection from road vibration... I generally put fragile gear in the backseat instead of the trunk.

If you can put your rack on the backseat without fear of it falling or getting knocked around, that does give it some protection from road vibration... I generally put fragile gear in the backseat instead of the trunk.

Carried it in the trunk a couple of times - but I think going forward, i'll put it on the passenger seat and pull it all the way so that It does not slip and fall down if I have to break.

Sort of getting convinced to just get a cheap line 6 for practices and use the AXE FX only for gigs..

I was hoping to get an FM 3 for practices - but I was put on the waitlist on March 1st - I am sure I have a long long way to go..

I have an AX8 that I use for fly dates (and as a grab and go rig for other gigs). Initially, I thought I might use it for rehearsals for the sake of portability. But honestly, l just use it for those situations where it isn't logistically feasible to bring the full rig. I always use my AxeFX III at rehearsals for the same reason that I insist the band set up in our stage configuration: we are rehearsing the music and the delivery of the performance exactly the same way we will do it onstage (minus wardrobe). To me, this is critical, as it ensures we are hearing and experiencing the same thing we'll do at the show. Also, the AxeFX III is just so freaking amazing. I love the AX8 as well, but where possible, I go with my full rig every time.

Well, I'm going to add that in my case, traveling with the axe fx 3 was less reliable and maybe this was just for early units. The ribbon cable for the input jack wiggled out of the motherboard causing that front jack to stop working. It started at a gig with a drop in volume/signal and by the time I got home and set everything up, it had come out of the connection. Took me about 30 minutes to figure it out. My unit has been out of warranty, since I got it second hand. With all that said, I have heard that they are securing the connections with silicone at least on the new FM3. If you are still under warranty, please don't open up your unit to check. They may do this on all the newer units that are shipping, both the axe fx 3 and FM3. Might be a good idea to email support and ask this question rather than open the unit and void the warranty. Just wanted to chime in on something to watch out for.

I've traveled with my III (and my II before that) for 4 years in a gator case, including flying as carry-on. I've never had a single issue to date. (knocks on wood multiple times to be safe)

I carry my AXE FX III and FC-12 to my band practices twice a week.Both around a 30 min drive from my house. I carry the AXE in a GATOR case and the FC 12 in another travel bag.

Is that okay? Or too rough?
I've done what you're doing with an Axe III for about a year now and no issues. Of course it's generally good practice to refrain from throwing or tossing any gear, unless you want to toss it my way. ;)

Back
Top Bottom