Transforming the Fender Super Reverb's 40w into the Silverface 70w version?

marklumsley

Hi guys!
I'm playing around with the Super Reverb with a 4x10 Superverb Mix (one of the latest stock cabs to be added), and I'm trying to keep the controls as true to the original amp as possible without too much deviation.
But my question is that if I wanted the Super Reverb's 40w output to sound like the later-released 70w versions (silverface, I believe), what would be the accurate measures to take? What would I need to modify 'under the hood' (preamp, power amp etc)?

I had this thing since October of 2015 and I'm still learning about the bugger (not that I'm complaining)!

Well, the 70 watt Super has a solid state rectifier, larger, ultralinear output transformer, similar phase inverter with different value resistors. So to get a cleaner running Super, turn down the master volume and turn up the output level in the amp block. Maybe turn down the supply sag and maybe the xfrmr match to tighten and clean up the sound.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the post CBS 70w Super Reverb. I believe it was a 1976 Super Reverb. I had 2 of those! In the late 70's I ran a Boss Distortion box varying between 30 - 60% drive and heavy on the output level and wow! The sweetness and texture of the over driven sound was amazing. Santana to Boston and everything in-between!

Back
Top Bottom