Hey guys, I'm having a little trouble finding a lot of info on this around the forums. I've been looking around for about 45 minutes, so either there isn't a whole lot of info or I'm just really bad at searching. I'm a bit of an electronics noob, which brings me here. I am building a Deluxe Reverb patch to sound sort of like my Deluxe Reverb Reissue. I don't have the capability to to a quality Impulse Response of the amp, but building something close to it in a preset is just fine for me. That being said. I have some transformers upgraded in my Deluxe Reverb, and I am wondering how to tweak the amp block to simulate bigger transformers. I see the transformer parameters, and I've read about what they do, but I don't know how to translate the settings into bigger transformers. Any help would be appreciate. Also, would I need to tweak any other settings like compression, negative feedback, etc...?

I have some transformers upgraded in my Deluxe Reverb, and I am wondering how to tweak the amp block to simulate bigger transformers. I see the transformer parameters, and I've read about what they do, but I don't know how to translate the settings into bigger transformers.
It really depends on how your transformer differs from stock. And what "bigger" specifically means. And which transformer you replaced (output, power, or both?).

It really depends on how your transformer differs from stock. And what "bigger" specifically means. And which transformer you replaced (output, power, or both?).
I replaced both, as well as the input transformer. The ones that came out were small compared to the Mercury Magnetic transformers that went in; the chassis had to be modified. I want to try to approximate the sound and feel of the upgraded transformers. Just not sure how and what to adjust.

I replaced both, as well as the input transformer. The ones that came out were small compared to the Mercury Magnetic transformers that went in; the chassis had to be modified. I want to try to approximate the sound and feel of the upgraded transformers. Just not sure how and what to adjust.
Input transformer? I've never seen an amp with an input transformer, and I know the Deluxe Reverb doesn't have one.

I'm going to assume that "bigger" means greater current capacity and more iron in the core (I can only guess here without actual specs). To simulate a higher-current power transformer, reduce Sag.

To simulate an output transformer with a larger core, reduce XFMR Drive. There are other transformer-related parameters, but without knowing the specs for the transformer you have, adjusting them will be pure guesswork. So you'll have to use your ears. :)

And, as @unix-guy said, XFMR Match can make a significant difference.

Input transformer? I've never seen an amp with an input transformer, and I know the Deluxe Reverb doesn't have one.

I'm going to assume that "bigger" means greater current capacity and more iron in the core (I can only guess here without actual specs). To simulate a higher-current power transformer, reduce Sag.

To simulate an output transformer with a larger core, reduce XFMR Drive. There are other transformer-related parameters, but without knowing the specs for the transformer you have, adjusting them will be pure guesswork. So you'll have to use your ears. :)

And, as @unix-guy said, XFMR Match can make a significant difference.

I am not sure why I put input transformer. I think I meant to type choke; I apparently shouldn't stay up so late! But yes, you hit the nail right on the head. I wasn't quite sure how to say what I was trying to say since I don't quite have the electronics vocabulary to put it together. That is exactly what I was looking looking for. I really appreciate your help, sir!

Back
Top Bottom