Transformer Match

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Don't overlook this parameter when your MV is set high. It is extremely powerful. A little in either direction can make a big difference. If you want a more open tone, turn it down slightly. If you want more compression and sustain, turn it up a bit.

This parameter is essentially a "turns ratio" for the OT.

I have been wondering....and I am sure it varies from model to model but.....What is your definition of a HIGH MV setting. Above 5, 6, 7.......?

OT = Output Transformer.

Transformers are almost a black art... ;) well, a mix of science and art. Ask any amp builder and one of the first things they'll discuss is Transformers.

even Mesa's Randall Smith started off changing Transformers on Fender Amp's.They make a huge difference.With this in the Axe you can simulate all(most of) that hodroded Boutique amps

Roland

And has much more tonal influence then the EL vs 6?6 discussions

This is the best tip I've ever tried on the Axe! Now that the high MV sounds so great, the transformer match is versatile and powerful.

I just had more fun playing my guitar than I have had in 20 years. Thanks are not enough Cliff. You have brought true joy back to my playing and my life!

If you want a more open tone, turn it down slightly. If you want more compression and sustain, turn it up a bit.
I'm always turning this up. Sometimes a lot. To me it sounds squishier, crunchier with much softer transients. I think I found the downside, it won't sit in the mix as well. Similar to the Definition control (except you have to turn that the other way).

This is the "XFormer Match" knob in the Dynamics section.....correct?
Yes for Axe-Edit - in the iPad editor, it's the "transformer" button
7747019898_0dbd3337e3_z.jpg

I used to dial it back just a notch or two, but with the last two FW releases it's pretty much perfect at default for me. I honestly don't need to tweak much at all outside the TMB settings.

I'm still working through my patches for 7.0. Been using a pedal compressor in the front of chain. Now I'm thinking I dont need it, adjusting dynamics, compression and xformer match. My main patches with normal plexi and wrecker changed alot. No complaints, just working through them. If i dont feel comfortable by this weekend, I'll just roll back to 6.01 and reload patches until i get them right.

Dang, i rolled back to 6.01. And bingo there were my amazing tones back. I think its AXE Edit not giving me correct feedback, Values are off even after sync. Gonna try it again but not use Editor to see if i can dial back in.
I'm missing that tone control in the vibe panel though..liked that!!! easy to make the vibe blend in

what a lot of folks don't know/realize is that vintage amps like fenders and marshalls had such crappy output transformers that the quality of the tranny's varied from one to the other. its a big reason some vintage amps sound amazing, and others sound like crap. I'm sure a few more windings or a few less windings played a part in the end.

Also...vintage amps didn't care about absolute specs of transformers. These days, makers look at the reflected load of a 6l6 or EL34 tube and match a transformer to the "T"...but back then, they didn't really care about it all that much and the load was off by quite a bit.

Don't overlook this parameter when your MV is set high. It is extremely powerful. A little in either direction can make a big difference. If you want a more open tone, turn it down slightly. If you want more compression and sustain, turn it up a bit.

This parameter is essentially a "turns ratio" for the OT.

I used it more during 6.x. It's a nice option to have, but really default options have been working so well (as well as that lovely amp COMP), that I can get DIFFERENT sounds with tinkering with OT, but not necessarily better.

R

Back
Top Bottom