Transcription software?

L

luke

Is anyone creating their own sheet music via playing into a software? I imagine via a midi pickup.

Reactions: ESW
guitar pro and some others can supposedly capture notes but can't intelligently quantize & give the notes a length value translating into quarter note, half note, etc with regard to time signature and tempo so it's really never been worth the effort to even try. It's easier to just write notes into the piano roll of a DAW. That was the status when I asked a few years ago. They said this was the goal and that they were working on just such a thing.

So, maybe someday.

Last edited:
Is anyone creating their own sheet music via playing into a software? I imagine via a midi pickup.
I use Cubase and its scoring is quite good. Or export to Dorico if you need advanced features. You should expect to touch up things like articulations of course.

I use Cubase and its scoring is quite good. Or export to Dorico if you need advanced features. You should expect to touch up things like articulations of course.
I just want to be able to play to a click to have general reference if I were to forget a part.

No. But.

If I did, I would do it with the Fishman Triple Play system

It had the best midi guitar out stuff I've seen.

I do it the hard way, in finale

I’ve used Finale and Sibelius with manual entry, but both are supposedly able to create transactions from MIDI signals. I preferred Finale to Sibelius overall for creating notation.

Oh, and I would imagine Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2 going into Finale would be a decent bet. None of the guitar to MIDI options available are 100% accurate as far as I can tell, but I do know from using it that Jam Origin’s software is pretty damn good.

I just want to be able to play to a click to have general reference if I were to forget a part.
Most DAWs have this ability, so, yes you can do that and easily record something that will serve as a reminder of how to play the part.

Oh, and I would imagine Jam Origin MIDI Guitar 2 going into Finale would be a decent bet. None of the guitar to MIDI options available are 100% accurate as far as I can tell, but I do know from using it that Jam Origin’s software is pretty damn good.
I was going to suggest it, too. It does a great job with tracking and no special pickup, etc required.

Why not transcribe (notate), the music? Transcribe! is great for transcribing and good notation software like Musescore is open source.

Why not transcribe (notate), the music? Transcribe! is great for transcribing and good notation software like Musescore is open source.
Because I don’t have that kind of time. I want to blow through each part once so if I forget something, I have a visual reference.

Reactions: ESW
Back
Top Bottom