Trans Siberian Orchestra

The Wally has a good article about TSO out. Good general facts and some about the transition from Savatage to TSO. Some great pics and a little video of the rehearsal this year.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-the-trans-siberian-orchestra-became-a-holiday-hit-machine-1449170491

I've been going for years, always to the West crew so I could see Al Pitrelli and Angus Clark, who are both great musicians and very fun to watch. I actually missed a few years for the Christmas show and caught it this year and noticed they were using AxeFX's now. There's a couple pics at the WSJ article showing the MFC's backstage.

The show was incredible as always, but - for the first time- I was disappointed in the mix where we sat. The keys were constantly drowning out the guitars, which is what I came to hear. Maybe it's just where we were sitting, but I was bummed about not being able to pick out the solos as well.

Also, this was the first time (I think) that I noticed they ran stereo and had each guitarist panned hard to each side. I'm a novice at live sound, but I can't figure out how they'd get good coverage of say a guitar solo if it was only coming from one side. I was center row 11. They had the big side arrays, but I didnt notice any front fills. Maybe they were hidden. ANyway, I'll see them again for sure, just either get row 1-3 or back much further.

I saw them with Joel Hoekstra on the guitar and they performed in fantastic way! But I think that also Al Pitrelli and Angus Clark won't dissapoint you!

The show was incredible as always, but - for the first time- I was disappointed in the mix where we sat. The keys were constantly drowning out the guitars, which is what I came to hear. Maybe it's just where we were sitting, but I was bummed about not being able to pick out the solos as well.
I caught 'em a couple weeks ago in Denver. I thought the mix was horrid (and the guitar sounds were poor) for the first half of the show but in the second half both improved considerably. The one thing that did sound good to me in the first half was the Fendery tones.

Got tickets for Houston... 2nd time to see the show, and looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom