Trainwreck Style Amps

Slammin Mofo

Inspired
Now that I've spent some quality time with the Wrecker, Comet 60 / Concourse and Ruby Rocket on FW 11.01, I'm left speechless..... I know that all the other amp simulations sound very nice with this new firmware, but, IMO, the Trainwreck style amps take it a notch further. Don't know about you guys, but to me they sound so damn GOOD!! The power amp distortion really shines and the feel / touch responsiveness is unbelievable. The crazy thing is that, AFAIK, Cliff doesn't even own a real Trainwreck Express, yet the Wrecker RIPS!

What an amazing company, what an amazing company owner... Thanks for pushing the envelope FAS!

Last edited:
I've become a real fan of the Trainwreck style amps since they've been introduced in the Axe. makes me kinda wish that Cliff would find a few more real Trainwrecks for modeling and include them. especially since they can vary so much in sound and response.

There is a video on you tube of 3 trainwreck amps being played one was kens personal #1 amp which was sold to Billy Gibbons.
I loaded the wrecker patch and sat here with jbl studio monitors and a b compared the two dialing in the amp to ear
and to me it sounded spot on to the real deal I did not have to tweak too long either before it was so close I could not tell.
Its one of my go to patches now. I have never played a real Trainwreck but after doing the comparison I was getting the same
sounds same reaction via volume knob ect I played that one patch for 7 hours yesterday alone and went right back too it
really find myself using the volume knob more or should I say volume pedal as we chose a volume pedal which emulates
the volume on guitar you can roll the actual guitar volume back roll pedal full on and still have more at the guitar.
Great for dynamics lower the roar at your feet or guitar or both.. Really great amp I think it sounded spot on too the 3rd amp
and even morso to Billys amp after the tweeze...

I used to speak to Ken on the phone and he could tell you the codes on any marshall speaker without looking tell you what the cone stamps should say
if your speakers were original too your cab ect.
He always told me the greatest mistake amp builders make is getting the best ratio too speaker he thought it was crucial and most overlooked the importance of
being able to control what the speaker sees.

I think it sounds spot on too the 3rd one in video and once touched a bit its spot on to Billy Gibbons amp.
Im getting early zz top in spades here and I am comparing all that on vinyl with the studio monitors.
I am using eon jbl monitors for axe right now till ClR's are ready.
Pacing Pacing...

I think that setting everything straight up on the amp, and change IR until you hit a good one, then setup a stereo cab. Try to find antother IR/cab that compliments the first cab.

That`s how i do it. Not right for everyone, of course. It very much depends of guitar (woods/pickups) and playing style.

I am playing poweramp + cab, no FRFR.
So I think the Rocket is just not for me, but the Komet 60 is awesome.
Best easter egg ever!!!

Aha.. Well (lucky us) we have a load of amps to choose from. Allways something to love.

And yes: the Komets are fantastic..

Well this is just great.... I just stumbled on this thread. One of my favorite Amps is the Wrecker, love the way it Cleans up and gets Dirty. I've been really busy this summer and didn't read any of the Firmware update notes. We're finally on a break and I'm busy programming I never realized these were all Train Wrecks !!! Santos Pelotas de Caca!!!!!!! It's going to be another Late Night !!!!!! Thank you Cliff !!!!!

I am playing poweramp + cab, no FRFR.
So I think the Rocket is just not for me, but the Komet 60 is awesome.
Best easter egg ever!!!

Just to get this possibility out of the way: When you're using the poweramp + cab combo, do you turn your power amp modelling off or do you keep it on? Because all Trainwreck style amps keep their Master Volume control up on 10, meaning the power amp modelling is a very large contributor to the sound, and I can't imagine playing them with Sag on 0 (power amp turned off), so I'm assuming you're using a Solid State Poweramp, right?

Think of the Rocket as Ken Fischer's attempt at the ultimate Vox AC 30... the original controls are Volume, Treble, Bass and Cut, so I'd start out just using these, without touching the mids knob.
Another important thing are the cab choices... if you're using a V30 cabinet, it might work well for the marshall-esque Trainwreck designs, but it's, IMO, not suited for nice AC-30 / Rocket sounds etc. And another problem might be the tone you're chasing inside your head... the Rocket is good for nice cleans and a smooth overdrive... not a lot of brightness, hair and gain in that model, so that might go against your tonal preferences in the first place...

Yes I have the power amp modeling on. I am running a Matrix GT800FX into a 2x12 with WGS ET65 (great speakers by the way)
Nice cleans and a smooth overdrive? Okay, this is not what I expected. I was thinking of a higher gain AC30. Thanks, I´ll try again.

Is Wrecker 1 a "mimic" amp based on one that cliff owns? It is the best amp I have played thus far in the axe hands down...

with roughly 100 amps only built I guess this question is a bit obsolete, but does anyone have a Liverpool that could be send to Cliff for modeling ? that would nicely round of the Wreck collection :)

Back
Top Bottom