Tracking the Axe dry - which fx do you use your daw?

slinky005

Power User
Curious how you guys incorporate fx into your recordings if you are recording the Axe dry to give yourself the most flexibility.
Just bought an Apollo but have not mortgaged my house for the plugins yet. But I do have plugin alliance and Soundtoys plugs to cover some of what the Axe offers.
Looking for workflow and effects that you recommend.

For me, listing all the plugins I use would be a long list indeed. But a couple of things worth mentioning: Convolution reverb, since the Axe-FX doesn't have that. And I use many glitch type plugins, like StutterEdit.

It's probably not a great time to buy Apollo plugins since they might soon be coming out with Spark versions of anything you're looking for. IMHO, in general (there are exceptions), unless you're using their plugins in Unison, you're better off using native plugins (from UA or somebody else) instead of Apollo plugins. You can see from the way their product lines are changing that UA understands that.

Curious how you guys incorporate fx into your recordings if you are recording the Axe dry to give yourself the most flexibility.
Just bought an Apollo but have not mortgaged my house for the plugins yet. But I do have plugin alliance and Soundtoys plugs to cover some of what the Axe offers.
Looking for workflow and effects that you recommend.
I reamp the recorded DI track through the Axe-FX. This way, I have total flexibility with FX and whatever amp/cab I want.

Edit: I got a lot of great info from GlennO and his recording guide.

I use Scheps Parallel Particles EQ, and Fractal's reverb. I sometimes use the Aphex Vintage Exciter. Apple has decent plugins for everything else. For straight ahead rock, blues, jazz, this works pretty good. I think I am limited from some pro stuff (UA) because I don't use ProTools. That's overkill for me, I wish I was recording with people enough to use ProTools and all the cool stuff they have out nowadays.

Compression, Delay and Reverb. I would use an EQ if needed. I try to get the guitar sounds set right in the EQ range where I want them so I don't have to apply any heavy EQ in the DAW. I prefer to use the three effects that I mentioned in the DAW because it doesn't paint me into a corner or cause issues with delay trails not matching up with other tracks in the song. The compression is usually very light if it is needed at all.

For me, listing all the plugins I use would be a long list indeed. But a couple of things worth mentioning: Convolution reverb, since the Axe-FX doesn't have that. And I use many glitch type plugins, like StutterEdit.

It's probably not a great time to buy Apollo plugins since they might soon be coming out with Spark versions of anything you're looking for. IMHO, in general (there are exceptions), unless you're using their plugins in Unison, you're better off using native plugins (from UA or somebody else) instead of Apollo plugins. You can see from the way their product lines are changing that UA understands that.
Totally agree about going Native for UA. I Have a quad and it’s very limited compared to my Mac Studio.

Back
Top Bottom