Tracking down ground loop issues Axe Fx II and Ax8

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I've got some ground loop problems. I should problem solve more before I post this, but.

First the house isn't grounded. I'm going to build a studio here and will ground. And it doesn't appear to be the dimmer. Maybe someone can answer a couple of questions. It might curtail a lot of chasing my tail before I really start troubleshooting.

I've got both a Axe Fx II XL+ and a AX8. Im trying to plug them both into a pair of XiTone wedges. That's when the hum starts. There's a little with just the AX8, which is how I've run it. I've had my AFII going to my studio interface to monitors with sub.

So on the Axe Fx I have output 1 going to the interface/studio monitors. The bottom pair of output 1 is going to the XiTone to the XLR input. The AX8 output is going to the 1/4" input of the XiTone pair. When they're both plugged in I get a massive loop hum.

I don't know whether what I'm trying to do is possible.

Sounds like the powered monitors and XiTones are plugged into different power outlets and that is the cause of the loop.

First you're kinda' pissing in the wind on an ungrounded room. You might consider having an electrician check what you do have and make sure it is in phase, etc. Make sure rack mount gear has rubber/plastic washer in front and in back of the rack ears. Plug everything into a single circuit.

In the event that you can't solve your electrical problems right away you might sport for a big beefy UPS. I have a APC 1500 and it will run my whole studio for quite a while unplugged. This way, at least, you are using bad AC to charge the batteries and getting out clean, regulated, uninterrupted power. Further, when you get your place redone, you can still use the UPS. My studio is dead silent.

Well this is only a temporary set up. The electrician will come out when we start building the studio. I'm just trying to find out if using the 2 pairs of outputs of output 1 on the Axe Fx II and the Ax8 output both going into two paired inputs of the XiTone might be the problem.

Have you got XLR-to-XLR cables? Connect one of your boxes using them, and try the ground lift switch.

Back
Top Bottom