Tracking down EMI sources, Axe-Fx 3 Noise Gate settings?

My previous house I would get a ticking noise in certain spots. I traced it to the ARB box. So low frequency stuff is not unusual, especially in industrial environments. Process control systems often work at very low frequencies. Servos, thermostats, relays, stepper motors, etc., etc. Unfortunately I doubt you'll convince your neighbor to mitigate the noise.

Automatic Reading Box for the water meter.

That's entirely possible Cliff. I do have a smart meter on my water main, and the 4hz noise gets louder the closer I get to it.

Was the EMI coming from the meter itself, or from the wire they run outside your home (assuming it's a similar setup)? And how did you correct the issue?

That's entirely possible Cliff. I do have a smart meter on my water main, and the 4hz noise gets louder the closer I get to it.

Was the EMI coming from the meter itself, or from the wire they run outside your home (assuming it's a similar setup)? And how did you correct the issue?
I don't know for sure. It was whenever I got near it but even within 20-30 feet my guitar would pick it up. This was long before the Axe-Fx. This was back in my tube amp days. I corrected it by moving to a new house.

Yeah I remember it saying not to plug directly into it, but I tried it and it cut the noise out right there. So it is the first pedal that I plug into and then it sits in the effect loop (out 3 - In 3) between the amp and cab. Maybe I am doing it wrong in a sense but It has been a life saver for me, especially when notes ring out and that EMI noise starts to creep in.

Pombero,
Got my Hush 2X and it's a big help with minimizing the EMI noise. When I hook up through Out/In 3L and put the Out/In 3 blocks in my preset, I get the left channel. I know that seems obvious but is there a way to keep the imaging unchanged?

Pombero,
Got my Hush 2X and it's a big help with minimizing the EMI noise. When I hook up through Out/In 3L and put the Out/In 3 blocks in my preset, I get the left channel. I know that seems obvious but is there a way to keep the imaging unchanged?
That happened to me too, I think that the way that it works is to have the Out/In 3 between the amp and the cab block. Also I think that it matters which Out/In 3 physical input is actually used on the back of the unit. I get full stereo with it, so I will double check my setup when I get home just to verify.

That happened to me too, I think that the way that it works is to have the Out/In 3 between the amp and the cab block. Also I think that it matters which Out/In 3 physical input is actually used on the back of the unit. I get full stereo with it, so I will double check my setup when I get home just to verify.

I got my Hush X2 as well, haven't had a chance to dive in. Initial try with it direct to input, it does get rid of the hum, but it also introduces hiss on the noise floor. Does yours do that as well?

Last edited:
I got my Hush X2 as well, haven't had a chance to dive in. Initial try with it direct to input, it does get rid of the hum, but it also introduces hiss on the noise floor. Does yours do that as well?
No mine doesn’t do that. I am assuming that you played with the knob as well? I never have it on 100%, I just turn it up a little until all noise and hum are gone.

I just got my Axe III last week and I have a pretty bad EMI environment. I get a buzzing that both of my humbucker equipped guitars pick up that is orientation dependent and very annoying. It seems more noticeable with the III than my II XL. I bought an ISP Decimator II pedal for $135 new that completely mitigated this issue for me. It is supposed to be a newer improved version of the Hush technology and doesn't load down my guitar signal (has high input impedance) and doesn't affect my tone at all. It works much better than the input gate on the III when I A/B them. I would highly recommend it to anyone having these type of EMI pickup issues.

Hey Pombero,
Were you able to determine how to achieve stereo?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom