Tracking DI and wet signals simultaniously?

George M.

Hi everyone,

Possible stupid question: is there a way to record both a DI and a wet signal simultaneously when I track so that I can hear the AX8 patch that I used for recording during playback but still use the DI tracks for reamping later if I need to?

Thanks

Yes - you just have to use the FX loop. Here is my preferred recording setup

Screenshot 2016-04-16 15.23.57.png

Here, the DI track is recorded via the FX loop (panned left, and the amp/cab tone is recorded via the FX loop (panned right), while the wet FX (100% wet) is recorded via the main out. It requires a 4-input recording interface, and it allows the FX levels to be set at the mix stage (or the FX can be discarded completely and replaced while keeping the amp tone.)

There's also an easy way to go if you just need to record a DI along with the main Stereo Pair (and don't need to separate DI/Amp/FX (as above) With this, you don't have to make changes to presets (excepting the FXLoop - see AX8 manual page 79-80)

In the I/O: Output 2 Send mode: copy L>R, Echo input.
"Selecting “INPUT 1” copies the raw unprocessed INPUT 1 signal to OUTPUT 2, and is ideal for capturing a dry track for “reamping” without using the FX Loop block. Note that the echo feature will not function when an FX Loop block is present in a preset as the FX Loop has priority" AX8 manual page 79-80.

When reamping use IN 2 Left Only - page 79 of the manual. You will need an FXLoop for the ramping preset

Last edited:
There's also an easy way to go if you just need to record a DI along with the main Stereo Pair (and don't need to separate DI/Amp/FX (as above) With this, you don't have to make changes to presets (excepting the FXLoop - see AX8 manual page 79-80)

In the I/O: Output 2 Send mode: copy L>R, Echo input.
"Selecting “INPUT 1” copies the raw unprocessed INPUT 1 signal to OUTPUT 2, and is ideal for capturing a dry track for “reamping” without using the FX Loop block. Note that the echo feature will not function when an FX Loop block is present in a preset as the FX Loop has priority" AX8 manual page 79-80.

When reamping use IN 2 Left Only - page 79 of the manual. You will need an FXLoop for the ramping preset
Can I get a little more of a breakdown on this please?

How exactly should my I/O settings look?

Back
Top Bottom