Toto Recording Turn Back in the Studio

Phostenix

Power User
Another YouTube rabbit hole has me listening to Toto albums and has taken me to this video. The audio is garbage, but I still find it really interesting to watch them record this album live a huge studio with no isolation. I still can't figure out how you can record acoustic pianos in this environment.

Best band in the world. No question.

I haven't listened to Toto in years, but I started listening again to focus on Jeff as a drummer. I was surprised that I recognized every song from the 1st album, Hydra, and Toto IV. I don't think I owned them on vinyl, so I must have had them on tape. This Hold Back album doesn't stand out to me as a great record, but the other 3 still have a lot of music that appeals to me. They did a lot of things rhythmically & guitar-wise that I still really like.

I haven't listened to Toto in years, but I started listening again to focus on Jeff as a drummer. I was surprised that I recognized every song from the 1st album, Hydra, and Toto IV. I don't think I owned them on vinyl, so I must have had them on tape. This Hold Back album doesn't stand out to me as a great record, but the other 3 still have a lot of music that appeals to me. They did a lot of things rhythmically & guitar-wise that I still really like.

I quite like Turn Back. It's a quirky album, and like all their albums, it differs sylistically from the others. To me though their best material came afer Toto IV, and the revolving door of lead vocalists actually enhanced the variety in their music.

Back
Top Bottom