Total reworked patches 10.3 live video w Zoom Q3hd

Dramelot

Power User
Got a Zoom Q3HD, had my wife shoot some stuff at a recent gig with a new band (2nd Show)
Still learning how to use this thing, Had it set to auto lighting, 720 30FPS Probably needed concert or low lighting setting.
Audio is 256 bit AAC. Probably will use 44.1 PCM in the future.
Audio is not too bad on this thing, Not happy with the video quality, but pretty sure its the lighting.
Plan on using it allot to document my weaknesses, as soon as I get a larger sdcard, only came with a 2 gig.

Excuse the clams...

Bit of Bonnamassa style ZZ Top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SLL8shqyjQ

Bit of Andy Timmons Electric Gypsy (audio out of sync a little?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9C1sM3unew

Totally reworked all of my patches for 10.3
Out 1 goes stereo to FOH with Marshall cab sim, Out 2 goes to Peavey 800 digital poweramp then to EVM12Ls stereo without cab sims. (Used to use cab sims on it, not anymore)

Enjoying the Ultra much more now, still need some level tweeking.
Getting there though

I wonder how it sounded in the crowd, but purely from this video I must say you sound like you overdubbed a live recorded track from their drums & bass at home, *and* you sound like you're in a big stadium sometimes.

Maybe this is an example of how the Axe can sound too hi-fi or "disconnected" with the band if you're not careful?
Not sure it's just the FX or because the camera recorded more of your sound through the PA and got the others more directly...

Just wondering. I do approve your chops! :mrgreen:

No its all live, Only kik drum miked on the set, Bass lined out.
I am also sound engineer so the mix isnt the greatest.
New band, newly revised PA with QSC K12's and 2 EV18's. with 5 min sound check. That's why this camera is going to be nice to let me hear whats going on throughout the night. Gonna rig up some kind of mount for it to hang from somewhere every gig and let it run.
Cant figure out why E Gypsy is out of sync, youtubed it 3 times comes out about the same everytime, while the bonnamossa doesnt ? Maybe when i encode in PCM problem will go away. Doesnt happen when I view it locally.
thanks for the chops comment, First set I seem to be nervous and rushing until 2nd or 3rd set i calm down.
RELAX....lol

I disagree i think it sounds awesome, absolutely nothing wrong with having a polished clean and articulate tone in a bar band setting, i would be aiming to give the punters a big stadium sound no matter how small the venue. I know where your coming from when you say it can sound disjointed from the drums but hey that's more a problem with the drums not being up to scratch with the quality of the guitar not the other way around, maybe the drummer should go with an electronic kit or the e-pro live kit to match up with the quality of the guitar.

BTW awesome chops with taste too.

Thanks Rick,
My drummer used to trigger a D4 for kik and snare. I kinda wished he would again, (those clear Fibes sets are LOUD!!), but for this band he wants to mic.
So.. i bought one of those Earthworks kik eq pads. Well worth the 100 bucks, I always struggle with kik sounds other than electronic, and this thing really helped!!! Had to be the fastest i have ever gotten a decent acoustic kik sound ever.
But I seem to think my lead solo guitar patch is too loud, never let a guitarist run his own sound lol.....

By the way my wife got me Steve Vai's Wild things DVD. (She thinks he's hot, go figure)
Never really was a fan too much (Never held my attn like other players do)
Now i want to put my guitar in its case... lol

Wow chops from hell....

Whats really cool is i never use a wah or a whammy pedal, but after watching Vai, I want to play around with them.
WHATS COOLER is with my AX IT'S IN THERE, I aleady own them!!!!

I think that's outstanding - your guitar tones sound fantastic. I think the criticism from above comes from too many nights of shitty sound to realize it does NOT have to be that crappy. You have the energy dead nuts too; that's great stuff.

Once you get the PA sussed out and the drums up to snuff (I agree, that's what's not coming across in the video) you guys will sound insane for a band in a club.

And especially your solo in the second clip is bad-ass. Killer playing. Can I borrow some chops? lol.

Kudos.

Scott Peterson said:
I think that's outstanding - your guitar tones sound fantastic. I think the criticism from above comes from too many nights of shitty sound to realize it does NOT have to be that crappy. You have the energy dead nuts too; that's great stuff.

Once you get the PA sussed out and the drums up to snuff (I agree, that's what's not coming across in the video) you guys will sound insane for a band in a club.

And especially your solo in the second clip is bad-ass. Killer playing. Can I borrow some chops? lol.

Kudos.

+1

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL sound - BEAUTIFUL.
And your playing...? Can I please borrow some of your talent, just for an hour?

Wow!

Duane! I thought it sounded great! And....you've heard my clams too many times, and I wasn't doing anything near A.Timmons type stuff. So, I don't wanna hear nothin' 'bout no clams. Are you running the Axe direct, or was that a cab I saw behind you? I'm still learning mine (when I have time). We're starting rehearsals w/Justyn (our original bassist) this weekend, so he'll be with us next time we're there.
I've REALLY got to bring my Axe up next time and bring it over to your place so you can give me some pointers.

Happy New Year D! Hope to see you soon!
Dday

Duane! I thought it sounded great! And....you've heard my clams too many times, and I wasn't doing anything near A.Timmons type stuff. So, I don't wanna hear nothin' 'bout no clams. Are you running the Axe direct, or was that a cab I saw behind you? I'm still learning mine (when I have time). We're starting rehearsals w/Justyn (our original bassist) this weekend, so he'll be with us next time we're there.
I've REALLY got to bring my Axe up next time and bring it over to your place so you can give me some pointers.

Happy New Year D! Hope to see you soon!
Dday

Hey Darran,
Yes i was running output 1 direct out to FOH, it splits off at the end of the effect chain and was using a Recto 1 4x12 Cab sim. I have changed that tonite to a 4x12 Cali, at Chelseas tonite (well see how it sounds)
Output 2 is taken before the cab sim and goes to a peavey cs800 stereo then into my Line6 open back cab loaded w EVM12L's.
Definitely let me know in advance the next time your in town, we will plan on doing that!
And you know I'll be out to hear The Electric Gypsy's, you guys are real pro's and always enjoy your gigs.
Duane

Last edited:
Hi Duane,
very nice playing and tone. Congrats.
Is that a Line6 Ax-2 combo i see in the back corner?

Hi Duane,
very nice playing and tone. Congrats.
Is that a Line6 Ax-2 combo i see in the back corner?

hi Guys,
Thanks for all the kind words.

Yes that's my old standby AX2 with EVM12L's, use it for the AXFX now. and if anything happens to my rack its a great backup.
I want a Port City oversized 212, but would have to also buy a roadcase for it, and then wouldnt have a backup avail.
so waiting on that for now.

Guitar is an 80's Guild Aviator w/ EMG and Kahler. i also installed internal Roland GK3.
I own 12 of them now. Bought my first one new in 85. As far as quality, i would put (select one's in certain SN# range) up there with any guitar out there.

But it's really what you get used to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom