TOTAL newbie question!

dajart

Hi All!

WOW! I am blown away by the Axe FX XL and I plan on buying it with the MFC-101 MIDI controller

But this is where I am lost

How do most people use this?

I mean, I have a 5150 III 50W head with 2x12 cab. I have a Fender Twin Reverb as well as a Vox AC15

I also have two Eventide h9's and a few other pedals like a crybaby, tube driver, etc

When I get this Fractal set up would I just run it through a 2x12 cab and get rid of my Vox, Fender and 5150 III head? As well as my h9's etc?

Im just confused as to how most musicians use this.

It seems like its so awesome at amp modeling that it would be strange to run it through an amp?

Any help/advice sure would be appreciated. I just learned about this unit not too long ago and came into some funds and decided to see what I can do. I'd love to "simplify" but i'm just not sure what to do

Thanks in advance!

The easy answer is all of the above. haha

With the amps you have (awesome collection BTW) you could use the axe just as an effects unit, or the 4 cable method. Simply put, you set up your axe to run in front of and in the effects loop of your amp so you can place whatever effects you want where they are needed. No amp or cab models are used in this.

You can run it straight to a power amp which would power your cab. Obviously everything but the cab block would be used.

Also you can run into a powered speaker with a full response (a powered PA speaker basically) and use all of the fx, amps and cabs in the axe. The speaker is just a means of amplifying the axe.
(you could use a passive speaker with an amp too but that's a pain.)

I've skipped over a ton of stuff and obviously there are a million different ways to utilize this unit but I hope this helps a little bit!

I'd also say it depends on what matters to you. When I bought my XL I wanted to scale back my rig. I had been using a 100 watt HK tube amp into a 5150 III 4x12 cab. So I wanted something that sounded and felt as good but wasn't 100 pounds. So I went FRFR. I use IEM on stage so I never heard my Cab in the room anyway. Some guys have to feel that air being pushed by a real cab. I got use to it faster than I thought.

I have always been a tube guy but the Axe sounds just as good and now with G3 it feels like my tube amps did. And I'm not a slave to all that extra stuff I would have to drag around just to do what this little box does. So my rig now is very simple, Axe Fx in a rack with my wireless, MFC and 1 Mission sp-1 pedal to control volume and Wah, and I take a EV zlx powered 12 just in case I need to adjust and that's it well guitars but the rig is now 10 min set up and break down. I'm done before my drummer gets all his cymbals off the stands hahaha.

Thanks you guys!

SO I now understand a little better but what would you do. I love the way my Vox AC15 sounds (The Edge!) and the super throaty tube sound I get from my Twin.

So if I have a AXE FX II XL will I be able to get rid of those two amps and "dial in" those same U2 and Eric Johnson/Stevie Ray type sounds and be happy?

And if I were to want to use the Axe as my amp and NOT have any other, how does it run a speaker cabinet? I am so sorry for being so dumb but I am so new to all of this.

I do understand about just using it as an effects unit but I am also thinking as using it to it's full potential and getting rid of the 5150 III, Twin and Vox.

Wow...

I REALLY love the sounds of this Axe FX! I am so blown away!

Okay, so I could could get a rack mounted power amp, and some 2x12 cabinet (maybe keep my 5150 2x12 celestial?) and I could go that route

Im reading so... I'll get there. haha

Thanks for help everyone!

To be 100% honest do yourself a huge favor, do not get caught up in trying to make the Ac15 in the axe sound just like yours, there are 200 amps in the axe fx, trust me when I tell you what ever the tone is you need you can find it. With the Axe Fx it's not about I have (insert name) real world amp will the amp model sound the same. Some do some do not but the important thing is this, with all the amps and Cab Ir's you will find your tone.

I play amps in the Axe that I would have never thought I would like. It's all thee you just have to go in and dig them out. Just trust your ears.

There are dozens of solutions - the axe fx is tremendously versatile and revolutionary. If you want to keep your tubes amps (you have great ones), go for it. IMHO, get rid of all your equipment....then get an axe fx, a power amp (like a matrix gt), then some speakers (matrix, atomic, friedmans, etc). You'll get all the classic tones, a full sound, power, and ability to maximize axe fx effects, amps, cabs. I got rid of my marshalls, fenders, vox, effect units, etc. Now I have a lot more room, a better sound, and left over money to some guitars:p I've also had a grin on my face for a year...I can't stop smiling. Despite what tube purists will tell you, tube amps are the cd's of the 80's. They will be phased out like dinosaurs, as modeling gets better everyday. Nobody born in the 2010's will be using tube amps when they get older.

Last edited:
Okay, so I could could get a rack mounted power amp, and some 2x12 cabinet (maybe keep my 5150 2x12 celestial?) and I could go that route
You're going to see a lot of posts about "FRFR" (full range flat response) speaker systems, such as the CLR and Xitone cabs. These speaker systems are not guitar cabinets. They're full range studio reference type speakers that also are very good as PA systems in their own right.

For my main rig, I use an AxeFX II XL, running into a Carvin power amp, into a pair of Euphonic Audio full-range cabinets. So I'm using the AxeFX for all the amp modeling, the guitar cabinet response modeling, the amp microphone modeling, and the room ambience modeling. I probably use about two dozen presets in total for our shows, most of which are multi-purpose (I do have a few that are dedicated to specific songs, with multiple scenes).

If you want the most flexibility, aim for an FRFR amp / speaker system. This will give you a very flat and neutral platform for amplification, and leverages the full power of the AxeFX to create a huge variety of tones. I also recommend a stereo setup because it will give you the most dimensionality and depth. You can also use a 2x12 full-range cabinet that is wired for stereo (do a forum search on Xitone for one possible approach), which gives you a compact and powerful sound onstage.

When you have an FRFR system, you don't need to mic your cabinets for the front-of-house mix. I provide our FOH engineer with 2 direct XLR feeds from my AxeFX, and my amp / speaker rig is really just for stage sound. If the club has a good enough monitor / side fill system, I leave my cabinets in the truck, plug directly in, and have the engineers route my guitar sound through the monitors.

I don't look back and wish I had my old "Brick" cell phone frying my brain cells away and I certainly dont look back at my 1/4 ton rig and wish I had that either,
Axe-FX XL- and Matrix GT1,000 (And now my little 2 or 3 pound RAC-12!!) and I am a happy camper who can easily blow your eardrums out your nostrils if I choose to - My Matrix FRFR Wedges can be walked in holding one in each hand. Nope I don't miss any of that. (What I have left sits in the studio collecting dust and looking NeatOh)

Another suggestion would be to look in the post your rig section and take a look at how people have set their rigs, type of amps and cabs FR rigs. There are so many ways to run the Axe it can be overwhelming if you're not clear on how to setup for your playing or gigging situation.

Last edited:
And would it be better to get a something like a Carvin TS100 TUBE power amp as opposed to a solid state like the Matrix GT? Just curious if that makes much of a difference. I want to get the right equipment the first time haha!

I am so glad I found this product AND this great forum! Very helpful and I REALLY appreciate everyone taking the time to help me.

My advice would be keep all your old gear and play with the Axe by itself and then decide.

I would but I need to sell some of it to fund the new Fractal set up (plus theres the wife situation...haha)

BUT, having said that, I am keeping the Vox AC15 and my Maxon Tube Screamer. I LOVE that tone soon much! Thanks again for the advice everyone!

You won't regret buying the axe fx. It's a little scary since you can't just walk into guitar center and play with one but once you get it in your hands you will never want to give it up. Best piece of gear I have ever bought hands down.

I always try to keep the FRFR vs tradtional guitar cab topic simple when I explain the Axe to someone: if you have a cab that you really like and satisified with it and you would be OK to play all the different amps through that single cab and speakers in real life, too, you should consider getting a good PA and keeping the cab. If you'd really like to have all the tonal options of using different (matching) cabs and speakers for every single amp in the Axe, FRFR is the way to go. I really like FRFR for the tonal variety and also because it really brings out that great studio tone feel and you can also get close to the amp in the room sound with it (cut lows and highs until you feel like it's there).

Within the year you get you Axe-FX II you'll have sold off all your other stuff when you realize you don't need any of it anymore. It'll take you a while to get there emotionally, and you'll have gear withdrawals, but eventually you'll get tired of bumping your toe on stuff you haven't touched in forever and list it.

Well guess what everyone?! I took back the gear I purchased within the last 30 days to GC and got my 100% REFUND! I had bought the 5150III 50W head and 2x12 cab as well as the Fender American Tele, and Fender Twin Reverb (what a heavy mofo that beast was!)

Total refund - $4300!

So HELLO FRACTAL AXE FX II XL+ !

WOOHOO!

Getting the Axe, MFC 101 MIDI foot controller. probably the Carvin TS100 TUBE Power Amp and...XiTone 2x12 stereo speaker cab which, I believe, is FRFR

Feel free to him in and recommend. Like what is a good rack to hold my new gear? And I also could add some extra money if I need to so... Let me know what you think!

Damn I am so excited!

Hi All!

WOW! I am blown away by the Axe FX XL and I plan on buying it with the MFC-101 MIDI controller

But this is where I am lost

How do most people use this?

I mean, I have a 5150 III 50W head with 2x12 cab. I have a Fender Twin Reverb as well as a Vox AC15

I also have two Eventide h9's and a few other pedals like a crybaby, tube driver, etc

When I get this Fractal set up would I just run it through a 2x12 cab and get rid of my Vox, Fender and 5150 III head? As well as my h9's etc?

Im just confused as to how most musicians use this.

It seems like its so awesome at amp modeling that it would be strange to run it through an amp?

Any help/advice sure would be appreciated. I just learned about this unit not too long ago and came into some funds and decided to see what I can do. I'd love to "simplify" but i'm just not sure what to do

Thanks in advance!

I run mine into an Atomic Active NEO Wedge, which can play as loud as you'd ever need. By using a FRFR (Full Range, Flat Response) speaker, you can take advantage of all the different speaker cabinets (IR's / Impulse Responses) that ship with the Axe-Fx and that you can buy separately. The FRFR speaker give you the benefit of selecting the type of speaker you want to emulate along with the amp.

I got my Axe-Fx last August and it does take a little while to wrap your head around it.

Back
Top Bottom