Total newb...why should I buy Axe FX II?

If your looking to plug into something and just cruise through the presets without making any changes, this device is not for you. But if you enjoy digging in and learning how to get the most out of a complex piece of professional guitar gear, then by all means dive in!

Because you cannot think for yourself.

And I thought I was slightly mean...

He hasn't come back, (take that as you will,) but better to be civil here.

Clarification: I feel that way about ANYONE who shows on a product site and sais 'I don't believe it, so convince me'. It's like walking into a YMCA and say 'convince me why I should give you $120 a year'. Not their (our) job. Fractal provides the product, the evidence is out there, and this community goes WAY out of it's way to help folks who are new. All you have to do is search on multi-page threads of folks who are searching for tone, but need help. None of us are paid here, but we help with paying someone else's learning curve with our expertise and time.

Can I get a Kumbaya?

Ron

Because its 50 pounds lighter.............. AMP BLOCK 5153 RED..........And you can pick from 70 better clean channels.....PERIOD.

I like it cause I can have Fender Clean, Marshall Clean, Marshall Crunch, Mesa Crunch, 5150 Crunch, Diezel Crunch, Marshall Lead, Mesa Lead, Acoustic simulation, EVH 80s amp, EVH 90s Amp, EVH current amp.

The flexibility is unlimited, the Tone is amazing and consistent and not diminishing when my Tubes get a couple years old... Unless you want that...yep, you can dial in Tube wear... Many advanced parameters.

+1

One important thing to remember about going on the modelling side is: reproducibility (actually not fully true, our earing does swing with the moods) Tube amps are sensitive to tube "freshness", temperature, ... not the AXE.

Furthermore it is a real bang for the money and you can try it out (15 days return policy AFAIR)

Clarification: I feel that way about ANYONE who shows on a product site and sais 'I don't believe it, so convince me'. It's like walking into a YMCA and say 'convince me why I should give you $120 a year'. Not their (our) job. Fractal provides the product, the evidence is out there, and this community goes WAY out of it's way to help folks who are new. All you have to do is search on multi-page threads of folks who are searching for tone, but need help. None of us are paid here, but we help with paying someone else's learning curve with our expertise and time.

Can I get a Kumbaya?

Ron
Kumbaya bud!! When reading the OP this am, that was my first thought. Single post.. asking to be convinced with no further posts? Read into it what you will.. :)

Wow, a lot has happened here in the last 16 hours. I've read this can be a tough room so I now realize my poor choice of words when I said "convince me"...I should have said "Axe FX II fans tell me why you love this unit so much and all the benefits I would experience if I decided to buy." I know you're not salespeople that's why I'm asking the users. I wouldn't believe half of what a salesman fed me. With that I'll shut up and read.

If your looking to plug into something and just cruise through the presets without making any changes, this device is not for you. But if you enjoy digging in and learning how to get the most out of a complex piece of professional guitar gear, then by all means dive in!

I just cruise through the presets and have no qualms about my purchase or the sounds I get. I love it and there is still the bottomless pit of tweaks that I can trip and fall into at any time.

As for the OP.

Man, why wouldn't you buy one?

I think if you make two lists of positives/negatives, the axe wins both (unless you've got a roadie to haul all your gear around and then I guess it's even for both because it doesn't affect you) :)

Paulbag - the OP, hasn't appeared back in here, even though he's had so many people trying to help him....

I'd suggest similarly lazy wannabees's post are deleted to avoid all this waste of everyone's time.... Paulbag should have just read through even a few discussions, and as I did a few years ago, and learned everything I needed; plus when I had some sensible questions, got some great help - which continued once I'd spent all my money and took delivery......

MODIFYING THIS - as on screen refresh I see Paulbag has now re-appeared......

My sentiment remains the same though. As in any new Forum, read everything before you post is always the best advice. BUt well done as ever to everyone for being so helpful!

You can either have something (the Axe Fx II) that is undeniably the best thing of its type that's ever existed (and getting better all the time) with ridiculous breadth to both amp and effects sounds or you can get one more tube head in a list of a gazillion. If what you really care about it the sounds that one head produces and you're happy, get it. If you want to open your pallet to a ridiculous number of colors and give yourself the ability to get all those sounds consistently, regardless of environment (and mostly irrelevant of volume level which is HUGE for me), get an Axe.

You'll find plenty of people (including me) who will say the Axe is the best piece of gear they've ever bought after spending tens of thousands of dollars on other things. I have some of the best amps ever built by Fender (BF Super, Vibrolux, Deluxe, Princeton, Tweed Deluxe). They're collectively worth WAY more than the Axe, but if I had to choose today between getting to keep all of them or the Axe, I'd keep the Axe.

Paulbag... Product blogs (for the most part) will have some serious discussions about the product. Many of the subscribers believe in the product for their own purposes (goes for saying).

Read some of the senior folks on this blog (they will be obvious). See if this is the product what you are looking for. I avoided the opinions and read how folks used the product plus any issues. Then I went to youtube. There are many good explorations of using the presets.

I definitely agree if your sound is the EVH plus a few stomps, maybe not the right product for you. Some of us here are into complex tones and/or recording. Thus, this product makes a great deal of sense to some of us. Remember, YMMV.

Good luck

BTW: I still have a tube amp and use it when friends come over for a jam.

Last edited:
So I took a ride to Plaistow NH today...

And picked up my Axe II :) already had FW 10 installed... I only had a few minutes to mess with it today so I just plugged in headphones and checked out some factory presets. WOW! I am in high gain heaven and haven't even begun to learn to tweak. Tomorrow I'll try hooking up to my Behringer b210d...that's what I'd been running my xt live through. I'll probably go Atomic at some point, but as far as building my Axe rig I'm all ears if you experienced people want to throw suggestions my way...should've done this sooner, but now the tone journey begins! :D

What's up people? Been trying to figure out what to buy for a new amp, and some people are steering me in this direction. Was thinking about picking up an EVH 5150 III combo when they're released. Why should I go Fractal? Convince me...
EVH 5150 lll its in there! Do some research look at all the great players that are using it, a couple days of watching YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom