TOTAL newb. Help?

Hey All,

I just ordered an AX8. I've never had any fractal products, or any modelers in general. I am curious as to what the setup looks like? I'm used to plugging my guitar directly into my USB interface and recording into logic. The rehearsal space I play at has PA's and normal heads/cabs in all the rooms.

I've had a hard time finding resources on what cords and stuff and what the physical routing looks like.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you wish to record to logic via USB, you will need to route the AX8 into your other interface, easily done via analog or digitally by SPDIF..the AX8 USB is only for use with the editor or updating firmwares with Fractal-Bot...start reading all the available manuals/wiki and iit will become clear to you....

If you wish to record to logic via USB, you will need to route the AX8 into your other interface, easily done via analog or digitally by SPDIF..the AX8 USB is only for use with the editor or updating firmwares with Fractal-Bot...start reading all the available manuals/wiki and iit will become clear to you....

I have a Steinberg UR22 interface, which doesn't have SPDIF. I take it I'm kinda screwed for recording/changing tones after the fact until I get an interface that supports SPDIF?

I have a Steinberg UR22 interface, which doesn't have SPDIF. I take it I'm kinda screwed for recording/changing tones after the fact until I get an interface that supports SPDIF?
No. Just plug in an XLR or 1/4” cable. It’s been done that way for years. That’s the “analog” part he mentioned.

Honestly, look at the Owner’s Manual.

Thanks. I read through all of the setup guide parts of the manual, and it honestly didn't seem to get very specific.

Did you really read this? Starting on page 15? Because there are diagrams, and very specific instructions like "Use the XLR Outs if your amp has balanced Inputs." and "Use the 1/4" Outs when connecting to unbalanced Inputs. For a mono rig, use the LEFT output only."

That section is damned specific, and gives you multiple options (and diagrams) of exactly "what the setup looks like".

Go read it again. Starting on page 15.

It gives two setups man, neither of which are for USB interface. This also doesn't cover reamping which I specifically asked about above.
USB interface is a full range signal. It can’t mention every single piece of gear possible.

The quick connect guide on page 4 even shows an audio interface. Page 4. Full range signal. Follow that. Page 15 tells you to use page 4 as well.

USB interface is a full range signal. It can’t mention every single piece of gear possible.

The quick connect guide on page 4 even shows an audio interface. Page 4. Full range signal. Follow that. Page 15 tells you to use page 4 as well.

I guess what it doesn't cover is whether or not XLR or 1/4's are preferred for output from AX8 into my interface. My interface accepts either as inputs. It also automatically switches to mic input level if XLR is used... which i think is irrelevant from what I am reading.

But anyways.... any wisdom on this?

I gather that using two XLR outs into my two XLR ins on my UR22 is the best setup for now?
I have the UR22 as well. It doesn't monitor in stereo, you will need to run through a DAW and configure it for stereo out.
To make it easier, I use long enough cables to reach the UR22 and the AX8. Simply unplug from the UR22 and go direct from the AX8 L and R to the monitors if I don't want to open my DAW.

I have the UR22 as well. It doesn't monitor in stereo, you will need to run through a DAW and configure it for stereo out.
To make it easier, I use long enough cables to reach the UR22 and the AX8. Simply unplug from the UR22 and go direct from the AX8 L and R to the monitors if I don't want to open my DAW.

Got it. Are you using XLR or 1/4 for your output from the AX8/input on UR22?

Back
Top Bottom