Torrential rain during outdoor gig. AX8 drenched and...

Hey this is great. After seeing the title I thought OH NO!!! Felt so bad for you but I see it is working fine.

That is great news.

For years I've been carrying in my gear case one of those Ziploc 18 inch by 24 inch bags. Yes they make them big. Spring and summer I'm usually playing a few festivals and some are going to have rain. Some won't get canceled even with lots of rain. I can put the MFC 101 or now the AX8 in including one expression pedal if need be and zip it up leaving just enough room for the cables to come out. Plus I can see and read the display and step on the buttons through the clear bag. It's cheap and very easy to carry with you just incase of rain.
That is a very good idea! Also maybe good for those floor level party gigs with drunk people dancing with drinks in their hands - yikes!

I use to use a big clear vinyl bag that came on our comforter. The thing was thick and strong.

I am going to find some of those. I have read about this several times and think it's an awesome idea.
Yup - me too - I have an outdoor event coming up next weekend. the saying in Melbourne Australia is "If you don't like the weather - wait 5 minutes ..."

I always have a plastic food wrap roll with me.

Lots of outdoor gigs... Near the sea... Under trees... And, of course, lots of no-professional drinkers.

Other players laugh, and then, ask me if they could use a little.

I use it at home, too. It's surprisingly long lasting.

Yup - me too - I have an outdoor event coming up next weekend. the saying in Melbourne Australia is "If you don't like the weather - wait 5 minutes ..."
Let us know if you find something appropriate in Australia thanks mmpete - and good luck with your gig!

The AX8 is built like a tank! Great to hear it survived the soaking. I'd second the advice to pop the end caps and perhaps toss some desiccant bags in there for a bit. There could be residual moisture in there that is not causing a problem at the moment, but once mold/fungus starts to grow it could corrode contacts and lead to issues.

And thanks for the bag suggestion!

For years I've been carrying in my gear case one of those Ziploc 18 inch by 24 inch bags. Yes they make them big. Spring and summer I'm usually playing a few festivals and some are going to have rain. Some won't get canceled even with lots of rain. I can put the MFC 101 or now the AX8 in including one expression pedal if need be and zip it up leaving just enough room for the cables to come out. Plus I can see and read the display and step on the buttons through the clear bag. It's cheap and very easy to carry with you just incase of rain.

I was wrapping my MFC-101 in Ziplock 2 gallon bags. Mostly for fear of beer being spilled, but work for rain too. It works out great. But then I somehow made the bag too tight, and when I stepped on a switch, the plastic was pulling down on the surrounding switches, and I was getting unwanted patch changes. Have you ever encountered that problem? Maybe I need to try a bigger bag. The 2 gallons was just a little shorter than the MFC, but covered most of it. And I did survive one good downpour.

I have a medium size towel that I carry in my case that I use for my AX8. most of the time it is just protecting it from being scratched by cables and things that are also in the bag, but any outdoor gig I have I always have it behind my pedalboard so that i can cover it up quickly. I also use a pedaltrain Nano 24 so that it is not sitting on the stage in a puddle of rain water.

I have thought about building a fold up tent for it out of 3/8 ply wood and some hinges. Looking at the stage it would look like a standard monitor, but it would actually be for shielding sunlight and protect from rain. Still trying to determine what angle to make the shield as I don't want it to block the expression pedal access.

Back
Top Bottom