Torpedo vs AxeFX II

AlGrenadine

Legend!
Vendor
Hi all,
This morning i had a chat on a social network someone about TwoNotes. He said the Torpedo has different technologies, not just IRs : non-linear convolution, physic modelisation and feedback synthesis.
So i had to compare with our CAB block, as the mentionned technologies looked very intriguing to me.
Here was the process :
- Recorded an AxeFx track with AMP block only.
- applied Torpedo plugin on this track and bounced to another track
- Tonematched the torpedo plugin, playing both dry and torpedo'ed track left/right to the AxeFx.
- Recorded the axefx output of the tonematch when applied the first raw track.
- exported the 2 results (torpedo'ed and tonematched)

Here are the results : The order may have been changed, for you to compare without knowing which one is the axefx.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zi7u9mtyc3g6l4h/comparo_wos_axefx_tm.wav?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:
I captured some Torpedo cabs I bought with Wall of Sound III, I'm only keeping one in my Axe right now. Wouldn't this be more precise than a tonematch ? BTW, which Torpedo cab are you using ? My favorite in the NOS 2x12 V30. I'm not a big fan of the available Torpedo cabs to be honest. Will listen to the sample later

I captured some Torpedo cabs I bought with Wall of Sound III, I'm only keeping one in my Axe right now. Wouldn't this be more precise than a tonematch ? BTW, which Torpedo cab are you using ? My favorite in the NOS 2x12 V30. I'm not a big fan of the available Torpedo cabs to be honest. Will listen to the sample later
Yes it would be simpler but the goal was to prove the AxeFx can sound like a torpedo. It was the free cab given with WOS III, a Marshall 4x12 v30 i think.

The Two Notes stuff models a power amp + Cab, IIRC. So, I would assume, a lot of this non-linear stuff the owner is citing has to do with the power amp capability (since as I understand it cabs are LTI systems essentially). Thus, comparison to the AFX Cab block, which is solely a convolution IR block (and therefore one piece of the function performed by the Torpedo), is likely futile. The AFX power amp modeling is ALWAYS tightly coupled to a preamp model and therefore any comparison you'd do would not make sense. If it's not related to the PA modeling then it is still likely pointless since they would be non-linearities outside the AFXs current behavior.

From my perspective the 2N stuff overlaps the AFX in a particular subset of capabilities: PA Model+Cab model but it is partitioned differently due to its target application (providing an amp/preamp load/recording out). They're two very good products that do similar but different things, I think. Trying to "prove" one is the same/better than the other seems a pointless exercise given that they are aimed at different applications.

That would have probably led to the same results, ToneMatch is an IR, just like Cab block...

Is this really the case? I have always been under the impression TM block was an EQ, but had no values for elapsed time the way an IR does...?

Isn't tone match more rounded and not as precise?

Can't comment much on that clip. The first clip was louder than the second one so people may prefer that one because of the volume difference.

The Cab Block is definitely not "just an IR". You have drive, filters, air and preamp models etc.

Here is what i did...

I used the IR Capture utility to create IR's of the cabs I purchased from Two-Notes via WOS III. In that program you have the option to disable the power amp and choose which MIC/position you want.

I did a side by side comparison with Voxengo Deconvolver and the results were identical.

A quick/dirty here is I ran the the Axe FX -> output 2 1/4 into a apogee 96k via USB into a laptop running WOS III in VSTHost. I ran the headphone out 1/8 into Input 2 on the Axe FX. I used asio4all.

With Cablab I used the IR capture utility and produced excellent results.

I highly recommend the 1935 Cab :)

Back
Top Bottom