Torn between Ax8 and Helix

rich2k4

Inspired
My goal is to primarily use the device as a home practice/recording solution with the flexibility to take it to occasional jams with friends (At this time, I have no plans on gigging any time soon). The device will be propped up on my office desk 95% of the time (meaning the footswitches will almost never be used).

I want the best tone possible. I tried the Helix a couple of weeks ago, but I have never tried the Ax8, and most likely will never be able to try it without buying it blindly. I liked what I heard from the Helix (although I was playing it through a clean deluxe reverb. GC refused to let me try it through monitors because they knew I wasn't going to buy it that day.) Anyways, I liked the ease of use of the Helix, but I can't help but feel like the small amount of amps and cabs is restricting. I love the idea o the Ax8 having so many amplifiers. It would allow me to virtually audition any amp I want pretty much.

I like that the Helix has USB audio, but in my case this feature doesn't matter. I don't want the Helix to act as my main audio device, meaning that I don't want to have to turn on the helix if I am just normally browsing the internet and listening to music. So this means I will have to buy an audio interface anyways, which can interact with the Ax8 through SPDIF.

The expression pedal on the Helix is cool, but I barely ever use the wah effect. I figure if I ever need it for recording, I can pick up a cheap boss expression pedal later down the road.

There are two things that have me going back and forth. One is the ease of use. The Helix is very easy to set up, and I keep hearing bad reviews on the Ax8's interface. I am tech savvy and when I looked at youtube videos of the interface, it doesn't seem that complicated to me, but maybe it is different in person. However, I do plan on using Axe-Edit 95% if the time anyways.

The second thing that concerns me is that there is no way for me to try an Ax8 before I buy. I am essentially going to be buying blind. With the Helix, I have Guitar Center's 45 day return policy, plus I can perhaps get a discount if I push hard enough.

One other thing that I wanted to ask. Is it true that the Ax8 only allows one of each effect? Meaning that if I want to have two different drive pedals, I can't do that and just have to stick with one? I'd be surprised if that was true, but I figured I would ask.

Some may ask why I don't just get an Axe Fx II if I will be using it at home 95% of the time. That is a good question, and I have considered it, but it seems like too much of a hassle for the times when I do want to play with friends. Plus it is $1000 more. Although I haven't ruled it out completely. However I'd be paying much more for similar functionality.

many who don't like the interface and UI of the hardware are coming from zero digital gear experience - real amps, multiple pedals with dedicated controls, etc. there are also a substantial number who are buying a computer for the first time as well to use with the AX8, so the Software editor therefore may be considered to these people since they are also learning how to use a computer, mouse/trackpad, etc.

it's easy to confuse "ease of use" with "limited options" sometimes, so keep that in mind if possible.

i'm pretty sure there is a 15 day window to buy and try the AX8; return it within those 15 days if you don't like it.

check out the AX8 section of the wiki: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home

Effects in the AX8
  • Amp
  • Cab
  • Chorus
  • Compressor/Dynamics
  • Delay (2)
  • Drive (2)
  • Effects Loop
  • Enhancer
  • Filter (2)
  • Flanger
  • Formant
  • Gate/Expander
  • Graphic EQ (2)
  • Looper
  • Multi Delay
  • Parametric EQ (2)
  • Phaser
  • Pitch
  • Reverb
  • Ring Modulator
  • Rotary
  • Synth
  • Tremolo/Panner
  • Volume/Pan (2)
  • Wah
  • Noise gate (per preset)
  • Output mixer (per preset)
  • Controllers (per preset)

There's a guy over at The Gear Page that posted this same dilemma, go check it out, over 5 pages of suggestions.

Over here im pretty sure 99% will say get an AX8. I'm sure if you post on the L6 forum you'll be told to get the Helix. If I were you, go with your gut and get what it is you're wanting.

As usual, Chris hits the nail on the head. There simply is no way to know without trying it. I think the Fractal gear sounds great and it works very well for everything I do. Many here, obviously, will agree. But that doesn't mean anything unless you agree in your environment on what you use.

Either way, it's a large purchase. I've bought cars for less than what either of these cost. You owe it to yourself to try both at home or on stage, whichever applies, and see if it does what you need. For me, it's the Axe FX XL+ and the AX8. Only you can decide for you.

The key to your dilemma is your quote of "Iwant the best tone possible". I own both AX8 and Helix, and I can tell you that if that tone is the priority, no contest ..AX8. THe only area that Helix is superior is in the audio routing and perhaps in ease of use without editor, but the AX8Edit software editor is vastly better than Helix, and basic tweaking from AX8 direcly is a breeze.
Although, either one is fun, but variety of tones and effects AX8 wins.

I've owned both. I originally bought a Helix and was all into it. It sounded good, it was easy to use. I was bummed they have no type of editing software to set up patches on your computer but the screen on the Helix is nice and works well. Then a friend of mine got his AX8 and it was all over for me. The AX8 to my ear sounded like a live amp in the room. Every amp model sounds amazing! The Helix was touch and go. I remember I really liked the Matchless and ended up using that for all my patches. On the AX8, I'm using Matchless, Morgan AC20, Bogner Shiva and the Friedman BE. They all sound great! The effects are top notch studio quality. You can use as many of each effect you want. But you are limited to CPU space for each patch. I don't have a problem with that. If you want to set up a patch with 3 overdrives and 1 delay...you can. I'm able to set up patches using the AX8 edit on my computer screen and it's just as simple as the Helix was. BTW, the pedal on the Helix squeaked pretty bad and I read threads from others who had to take the pedal out and use a graphite on it to make it stop. To sum it up, the AX8 feels and works like a professional piece of gear. The Helix felt like a component you would buy from your local electronics store.

I've owned both. I originally bought a Helix and was all into it. It sounded good, it was easy to use. I was bummed they have no type of editing software to set up patches on your computer but the screen on the Helix is nice and works well. Then a friend of mine got his AX8 and it was all over for me. The AX8 to my ear sounded like a live amp in the room. Every amp model sounds amazing! The Helix was touch and go. I remember I really liked the Matchless and ended up using that for all my patches. On the AX8, I'm using Matchless, Morgan AC20, Bogner Shiva and the Friedman BE. They all sound great! The effects are top notch studio quality. You can use as many of each effect you want. But you are limited to CPU space for each patch. I don't have a problem with that. If you want to set up a patch with 3 overdrives and 1 delay...you can. I'm able to set up patches using the AX8 edit on my computer screen and it's just as simple as the Helix was. BTW, the pedal on the Helix squeaked pretty bad and I read threads from others who had to take the pedal out and use a graphite on it to make it stop. To sum it up, the AX8 feels and works like a professional piece of gear. The Helix felt like a component you would buy from your local electronics store.

All true...except you are limited to the number of blocks, as listed by Chris in #2 above.

I strongly think that the only way you can decide this is with your ears. Get a AX8 and try for 15 days, return if you don't like. You can actually get the AX8 and the Helix at the same time to compare both. For me, no one will ever be able to tell you what sounds good for you. Just yourself.

Trust your ears. If sounds good, it is good. Period.

The thing about the extra features on Helix is the same thing. Based on your post I think the extra stuff on the Helix don't bring anything extra for you. For me, the AX8-Edit is 10x easier then the Helix joystick interface. For sure the Helix interface in the device is better then the one on the AX8, but nothing beats Fractal desktop UI. And I know that the desktop UI for Helix still super premature.

Again, my advice: get both, return one, be happy because the only one that knows your taste is yourself :D

I would argue that when you consider AX8 Edit, the AX8 interface is superior. I'd be happy to do a walk-through or answer any specific questions you have!
same here. i frequently do livestreams either on my AFT channel or my personal. i can walk you through things.

If you come to central FL you can take my AX-8 and or an axe fx XL for a test drive! I am sure there are others here that if you are in there area, would show you what it'll do.

Lets also not underestimate the enthusiasm of the manufacturers.
It will be interesting to see how responsive Line6 are compared to Fractal in regard to improvements and update firmware.
(I should add that my opinion is strongly with Fractal on this - I have a number of Line 6 products that were advertised as 'software upgradeable' with updates either never coming, or measured in years. Fractal stand alone in the frequency and quality of thier updates)
In other words - If something is pissing you off, it's probably pissing off a number of people - If it's pissing off a number of people, Fractal will attend to it (historically). Line6 is another methodology.

Thanks
Pauly

What about Ax8 vs Axe Fx 2. Has anyone gone from AF2 to Ax8 and not missed the AF2? I know the AF2 has the extra amp and cab blocks, but I'm not sure If I would ever really use that. What about the mic modeling features of the AF2, does anyone miss that who has a AX8?

What about Ax8 vs Axe Fx 2. Has anyone gone from AF2 to Ax8 and not missed the AF2? I know the AF2 has the extra amp and cab blocks, but I'm not sure If I would ever really use that. What about the mic modeling features of the AF2, does anyone miss that who has a AX8?
typically, people who had something are disappointed when they don't have it. so yes, you'll see posts here of AF2 owners who now have an AX8 and "can't get their tone" without the mic sims, or other things that might not really be that important to tone. it's just they were used to having it. the mics in the cab block really aren't that useful anymore, due to the improvement of IRs. Fractal Audio recently stated they'd remove it from the AF2 if they could, but too many would not enjoy that decision :) 2nd amp and cab blocks are handy in some situations, but not crucial for most users. in fact, blending amps and cabs usually leads to confusion and bad tone if you don't know what you're doing.

many who started with the AX8 love everything it DOES have. it's mostly AF2 owners wishing for additions. AX8 only users are usually the ones finding ways to optimize what's currently there, because they are actually working with it, and not just wishing something was there.

The AxeFX is far more powerful then the AX8.

The AX8 is far more convenient :)

It is a simple choice in my mind actually:

- Do you want all possible sounds Fractal offer? AxeFX.

- Do you want the best sounding all in one portable gig unit? AX8.

The AxeFX is far more powerful then the AX8.

The AX8 is far more convenient :)

It is a simple choice in my mind actually:

- Do you want all possible sounds Fractal offer? AxeFX.

- Do you want the best sounding all in one portable gig unit? AX8.
Yup - this is absolutely correct. Add to that, if you go FRFR - you will not be disappointed!

This is the place to find biased answers :D So in short... just get the AX8, if it's tone you are after there is no other equal.

Had the Helix and it was nice! a definite step up for Line 6 but the AX8 pretty much squashes it. As 20West has posted above in a stand alone side by side comparison it was very evident that the AX8 has the Mojo and it converted him almost instantly and he's as picky as I am.

If you are just a bedroom warrior an Axe FX II is nice but there is more to the total bill when it comes to finishing it off depending on how elaborate you get. The AX8 is the better deal by far unless you need dual amp and cabs and the few off hand effects that are not in the AX8.

Back
Top Bottom