Topgun Maverick...anyone?

Project Mayhem

Experienced

I have a personal attachment to the original, and no, it's not for the Volleyball scene. Been waiting for decades for this, cautiously optimistic.

Curious to see how they integrate the 14 in the last scene in the trailer, as it's long since retired and the rest of the trailer scenes have him (appropriately) as a Rhino driver. I am concerned as to what they are going to put him in that requires a pressure suit though...please don't go "Firefox" on us.

The original was a seminal childhood movie for me. Recently re-watched it with my kids and it was an awesome experience. I will for certain be lining up to take my boys to see this one.

Already have Steve Steven's guitar riff from the Top Gun Anthem playing in my head! :D

One of the best moments of my career was playing the theme from Top Gun into Danger Zone on the flight deck of the USS Constellation in 1987.

We were in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a USO tour. The crew went absolutely nuts. We could have played those 2 songs 10 times in a row and called it a day.

We played a total of 4 shows on that aircraft carrier. They shuttled the crews of all the support ships (except for the submarines) on board so they could see a show.

Had several Russian “trawlers”very interested in what all the activity was about.

I’ll never forget that experience.

One of the best moments of my career was playing the theme from Top Gun into Danger Zone on the flight deck of the USS Constellation in 1987.

We were in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a USO tour. The crew went absolutely nuts. We could have played those 2 songs 10 times in a row and called it a day.

We played a total of 4 shows on that aircraft carrier. They shuttled the crews of all the support ships (except for the submarines) on board so they could see a show.

Had several Russian “trawlers”very interested in what all the activity was about.

I’ll never forget that experience.

Interesting, I was in roughly the same place at the same time (year at least)...I know exactly where I was may 17th of that year, but we would have been in the IO a couple of weeks prior to that...but we weren't attached to the carrier battle group so probably didn't get the invite.

Can’t remember the exact date. Summer I think. Was very hot. Also did shows at Diego Garcia navy base. Was nice to get over being seasick.

Carrier was on about a 60 second slow roll in big seas. Had all our gear strapped to the deck. I had a bucket behind my amp to puke in. About every 3 or 4 minutes I’d disappear behind my amp to hurl. I’d come out and the sailors would cheer. I’m a terrible sailor!

Also played at Johnston Island in the South Pacific on the same tour. Two of the most remote places in earth. What a blast!

We may wait for it to come to Blu-Ray but will definitely watch it. We lived in San Diego when Top Gun was filmed and released so there was more of an attachment to the movie. I grew up a stone's throw from Miramar Naval Air Station (now a Marine base) and never got tired of watching the F-14's coming in from training and got a thrill every summer watching the Blue Angels practice and perform their shows over our neighborhood.

The IRIAF (Iran) is still flying some of their F-14A’s - and still has a few operational Phantoms as well.
I saw a couple of those Phantoms at Tehran's old international airport back in 2002. And C-130's and P-3 Orions at Shiraz airport. Love the Phantom, my favorite jet fighter.

Going to have to see this one in a theater for sure. Cruise almost never disappoints. Total shithead IRL, but a great actor.

I’ll be there show #1. Loved the first movie and have watched it many times since seeing it in theaters when it came out. My less than completely perfect vision kept me from heading that way as a profession, and so I chose to pilot a patrol car over the next few decades. Not as fast, and no one cheers if you do a barrel roll in one... still, an exciting and honorable career.

Can’t wait!

Back
Top Bottom