Top Gear fans? Clarkson sacked from TG

He obviously wanted it documented by a doctor that he had sustained an injury (however minor). I'd bet someone from H.R. or legal suggested he go. Legally speaking, in cases of assault, that is what you are supposed to do (IANAL). Really, I can't see how the producer could have realistically played it any differently. If he and Clarkson had slugged it out in a back room, who do you think would be looking for a new job? No one should have to work with someone who resorts to violence when they don't get their way.

In many situations, I'd probably agree with Trev and Rotti, but I think this is a bad example.

Agreed.

The thing about all of this is that might does not always make right. Just because you can beat the shit out of someone doesn't mean you should. Last time I punched a guy I broke his jaw over a stupid reason and I never want to do that again. If you use power and violence to overcome someone weaker than you that doesn't make you a 'warrior' or a man. It makes you an asshole and there SHOULD be consequences. Fact is, this 'warrior' class you hear people talk about is in everyone to a greater or lesser degree. Just like anything else extremes are negative to both the person and society.

Clarkson wasn't being a 'warrior'. He wasn't defending himself or anyone else, he wasn't fighting against anyone for any kind of cause bar his own gut. That doesn't make him a 'warrior' but a bully and asshole.

It's unprofessional to punch your coworkers, even in retaliation. I don't know where some of you come from, but here in the UK, we don't all buy into the wild frontier man stereotype.

Come on. We live in a civilised country and I don't buy the 'warrior class' thing. This isn't an RPG. I worry about this sort of attitude justifying public support for dodgy foreign policy.

If you are so much of a privileged piece of sh*t that you physically assault someone because you didn't get a steak, you don't really fit in with society properly.

You can either ignore this incompatibility with other humans because it's convenient (usually sums of money are involved) or you can address the fact that it's actually not ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must be odd in that I've never really watched Top Gear but I've read two or three of his books. They're pretty hilarious. I just googled to see he has like 17 books.

Publicity like this will sell a lot more books. Just sayin.

Yeah maybe hes gonna write the Life And Times of Top Gear.

I bet that would have a few people sweating

Loved the show. The humor was great, the childishness monumental. Fantastic to see them test a Ford Fiesta by having it chased through a shopping mall by a Corvette and having it ended by it trying to jump to a ferry that just left and coming up short... They loved the Fiesta. Or testing the accelaration properties of a modified Jaguar by launching it off an aircraft carrier. Not to mention what they did to caravans.

Clarkson is a hilariously funny but also the most pompous ass ---in---the---world.
Pretty sure he desearved what he got. Just for being funny does not mean you can act any bloody way you please. What I read they were late at the hotel and the kitchen staff had went home. It also said the reason they were late is because Clarkson was hung up in the pub for three hours. Suppose he'd hung for only one hour. They'd have been on time for a lovely steak dinner.

And not everyone has the ability to be built like a USMC. Clarkson is about 6'6. Pretty tall guy. Chances are the producer dude couldn't even reach his head if he swung.

OOcAr5t.jpg

My 5 year old son, who is a massive top gear fan (father / son time rules :)), is so upset over it. He actually asked me why doesnt the man that got hit get his mom to tell Jeremys mom and they can sort it out. I think the outcome would be much better

My 5 year old son, who is a massive top gear fan (father / son time rules :)), is so upset over it. He actually asked me why doesnt the man that got hit get his mom to tell Jeremys mom and they can sort it out. I think the outcome would be much better

Even that has more honor in it than what happened. Keep your beef at the lowest level possible.

He obviously wanted it documented by a doctor that he had sustained an injury (however minor). I'd bet someone from H.R. or legal suggested he go. Legally speaking, in cases of assault, that is what you are supposed to do (IANAL). Really, I can't see how the producer could have realistically played it any differently. If he and Clarkson had slugged it out in a back room, who do you think would be looking for a new job? No one should have to work with someone who resorts to violence when they don't get their way.

In many situations, I'd probably agree with Trev and Rotti, but I think this is a bad example.

Well, you said that you don't see how he 'could have played it any other way'. He shouldn't have 'played it' at all.

As a BBC employee, he could have gone and worked anywhere else in the company, and should have done so if there was a problem with the guy who's show he was on. That's right, it was Clarkson's show. That was his house. That show belonged to Jeremy and Andy. This Oisin guy was just another line producer (glorified PA - he was resposible for the steak, he was NOT the big deal he thought he was) and he was playing games and he ruined a show that was loved by millions around the world.

Twat. Now he'll write a book.

It's unprofessional to punch your coworkers, even in retaliation. I don't know where some of you come from, but here in the UK, we don't all buy into the wild frontier man stereotype.

Come on. We live in a civilised country and I don't buy the 'warrior class' thing. This isn't an RPG. I worry about this sort of attitude justifying public support for dodgy foreign policy.

If you are so much of a privileged piece of sh*t that you physically assault someone because you didn't get a steak, you don't really fit in with society properly.

You can either ignore this incompatibility with other humans because it's convenient (usually sums of money are involved) or you can address the fact that it's actually not ok.

Let me clarify something here.

No one is confused about the way of things in their own little corner of the planet. We all know exactly how things "are" and what is expected. The point Trev and I are making is that the way things "are," in western society in particular, lack a spirit of independence and self-preservation.

True, you could say the "punch 'em in the mouth" approach is a bully tactic. It's also a surefire way to stop a bully cold in his tracks.

Dodgy foreign policy? That's comical. Like what, not negotiating with terrorists or the nations that harbor them? Or maybe preventing nuclear proliferation in a country that presents an existential threat to others?

Diplomacy is great, but the words uttered by diplomats only carry as much weight as the fighting force standing behind them will bear.

So sayeth the tip of the motherfucking spear!

No one is confused about the way of things in their own little corner of the planet. We all know exactly how things "are" and what is expected. The point Trev and I are making is that the way things "are," in western society in particular, lack a spirit of independence and self-preservation.

True, you could say the "punch 'em in the mouth" approach is a bully tactic. It's also a surefire way to stop a bully cold in his tracks.

Dodgy foreign policy? That's comical. Like what, not negotiating with terrorists or the nations that harbor them? Or maybe preventing nuclear proliferation in a country that presents an existential threat to others?

Diplomacy is great, but the words uttered by diplomats only carry as much weight as the fighting force standing behind them will bear.

On the first point I agree. We don't have a lot of independence and I have found the fight for 'equality' more about emasculation rather than the harnessing of positive male traits. (The idiots who utter the "know your privilege" mantra being a lot to blame.) Anger is energy after all.... it just depends on the use. In this we don't exactly help ourselves.

The second point is idiotic. Let's be clear here, Clarkson was the one with the more power both physical and within the BBC. He was the face of the show and with a few words the producer could have been moved on if he was the twat people think he is. I'm not so sure that the producer could have had the same effect regarding Clarkson. He didn't need to punch anyone. He wasn't under threat. He wasn't 'stopping a bully'. He was being a prick.

This has the potential to devolve into a political discussion so on the final point I'll only say this and will bow out. In my country (Ireland) there were terrorist attacks, shootings, violence etc. that I and my family have personal experience of that had been going on for around 80 years. It escalated for the final 25-30 and subsided dramatically within 3 years of negotiations starting. Don't get me wrong there is still sectarian violence but nobody is letting off bombs in major urban centres any more or shooting police officers on a daily basis. This happened because of serious discussion, not political posturing. After all, Britain's force was much larger and more well equipped than the other sides. The 'motherfucking spear' in this case was useless. In fact it only served to alienate. Today's climate is much fresher. I have friends on both sides, used to work for a guy who was ...involved, shall we say... and one is a Scot guy who did two tours in NI with the British Army and guarded the Queen in the palace. This wouldn't have been possible when I was a kid. Hell, my brother would have been shot just because he dates someone from 'the other side'.

So the moral of the story here is that if people seriously wanted to solve their differences they could within years using serious diplomacy. The problem is that there's no money to be made from negotiation, and it's easier to appeal to the baser emotions and score political points using conflict. Once you know this you realise that not only can every side trot out the atrocities (read it again.... every side) but that they all use the same tactics. Then you know how much 'independence' you actually have and that the struggle for self-preservation has already been lost while you were waving your willy.

While this debate has been interesting I think it's time I bowed out. :) I leave you all with nothing but positive thoughts.

You're 100% correct, Had a few bullies growing up until I whopped their ass. Hate bullies, as a matter of fact the easiest way to stop a bully IMHO is to bully them back!!!

The fact that PC has perverted modern thought so much that being a victim is heroic is why we as a species are on our way out.

I'm with USMC_Trev on this one. One bloke I know got fired from his job, just for telling some guy he way going to beat his face in for grassing him up. Where is the justice in that. The weedy bloke should have just resigned and found another job.

People keep blaming this on a cold steak, but honestly that's a very short sighted look at the situation, in my opinion. Even if that was what finally tripped Clarkson off the whole ordeal was a power play. If you look at it as a whole, its clear that Tymon got exactly what he wanted. I mean, come on, he's not even pressing charges. That doesn't sound much like a victim to me. Sounds more like someone regretting taking one step too many into a field of shit.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really thought this whole thing through, because without Clarkson, for most people, Top Gear is pretty much a dead show. In the end, they may both be out of work.

Wow this thread is depressing. If humanity dies out as a species my money's on two most likely scenarios :

1 - we pollute the planet to a point where it's no longer capable of sustaining human life.
2- - all our little wars join up into one big one and we bomb ourselves out of existence.

Both of those would be a result of the lack of ability of many people to evolve beyond a caveman level of intelligence and way of looking at the world. Solving disputes with your fists is a fucking stupid 'solution'.
I'm amazed that some here can play guitar at all considering they must spend most of their time with their knuckles dragging on the ground.

Well, you said that you don't see how he 'could have played it any other way'. He shouldn't have 'played it' at all.

As a BBC employee, he could have gone and worked anywhere else in the company, and should have done so if there was a problem with the guy who's show he was on. That's right, it was Clarkson's show. That was his house. That show belonged to Jeremy and Andy. This Oisin guy was just another line producer (glorified PA - he was resposible for the steak, he was NOT the big deal he thought he was) and he was playing games and he ruined a show that was loved by millions around the world.

Twat. Now he'll write a book.

Clarkson sold his share of the show already.

He may retain some licensing rights, but he's just an employee, just like the producer.

It's not Clarkson's house, it's the BBC's house, and as a license fee payer, it's MY HOUSE.

As the BBC is owned by the people of Great Britain, it is answerable to parliament, ie, my democratically elected representatives.

Infact every year, the BBC has to JUSTIFY its own existence to parliament, making sure that it's fulfilling its duty of being both UNBIASED and RELEVANT.

After the historic paedophillia abuse scandal hit the BBC, I'd imagine as a broadcaster, they are supposed to be on their best behaviour right now and trying to avoid further scandal. Clarkson has been backed up by them several times before, but they are simply running out of ways to make the dinosaur fit into their organisation.

Then he punches a co-worker.

Make no mistake it's the BBCs house.

I like how you go about 'clarifying' something, by smearing it in mud and war-paint, then arming it with a spear.

You come at civilisation with a spear and they'll take it off you and put you in a locked room. You have to be smarter than that nowadays. You've got to evolve to stay relevant.

Darwin's theory of evolution is actually survival of the most adaptable, not the fittest or biggest or most aggressive. For all its big, sharp teeth, T-Rex still died out.

I think you are a little confused as to how things work in my corner of the world. See my previous post on how the publicly funded BBC works.

We decide how we run our BBC, not you. We may grace you with some DVDs released in your territory, but you don't get to tell us how we operate.

In terms of dodgy foreign policy, I'm talking about the sociopathic corporatocracy that throws around words like 'freedom' and 'peace' whilst justifying a preemptive-airstrike approach to 'threats', that happen to live with their wives and children above vast quantities of valuable natural resources. As a side effect, you may be surprised to know that this actively breeds the radicalisation that the media uses to justify the military action.

Considering this, you've still got to ask why other countries feel the need to arm themselves huh? Besides I thought you agreed that people SHOULD strike back when provoked.

So the cycle continues. Weird huh?

Do you know how I solved a bully problem at school? Although I was a Judo black belt and a regional gold medallist before I was 14, I decided to become his friend rather than perpetuate the cycle.

It turns out that as well as being abused at home, he had an undiscovered brain tumour which affected his personality as it grew.

That taught me that you often don't know everything about people, so you should treat people with respect.

The words uttered by diplomats often carry much more weight if they have something to offer that's valuable or useful to the opposing party.

Last edited:
See my previous post on how the publicly funded BBC works.

We decide how we run our BBC, not you. We may grace you with some DVDs released in your territory, but you don't get to tell us how we operate.

In terms of dodgy foreign policy, I'm talking about the sociopathic corporatocracy that throws around words like 'freedom' and 'peace' whilst justifying a preemptive-airstrike approach to 'threats', that happen to live with their wives and children above vast quantities of valuable natural resources. As a side effect, you may be surprised to know that this actively breeds the radicalisation that the media uses to justify the military action.

LOL man did you say you graced us with DVD releases? If you never released another tv show over there to here or a DVD i'd seriously miss 0 from that.

I had a bully in school who was in to karate, and you know how I got him to stop? We met in the bathroom and I smashed his face, after that we were friends, so I guess both ways work eh? And I survived, here talking to you about that nut job slapping his Co-worker, What cracks me up, is you're sticking up for the guy hitting another guy "cuz that is now it's done" as "you're talking about how you would not touch someone that is a jerk/bully but befriend them" Funny angle there imho. Can't have it both ways yet here we are as you try haha.

Back
Top Bottom