tooltips for Axe-Edit?

vestapol

Inspired
I've got usage notes and how-to tips for different parameters scattered all over my studio and hard drive, in addition to hard and soft copy manuals, but for some time now I have wondered that the single most helpful user aide to better/more efficient use of Axe-Edit might come in the form of tool tips.

I know some hate tooltips and pop-ups in general, and I'll concede that when not needed they are a nuisance especially if they can't be turned off. But what if they could be features of Axe-Edit, as configurable tool tips that users could disable or even better, adjust. For example, at OFF setting, no tooltip appears. At ON setting they could appear after mouse hovering, perhaps after a user configurable time elapsed e.g., only appear after mouse hovering for xx seconds.

Taking it a big step further, what if there could be a range of help detail, e.g., EXPERT = only brief description of what the parameter/control/item is, and/ or succinct statement of what that thing does; BASIC= Same info as EXPERT, plus greater detail, perhaps using less technical language, and include suggested optimal settings for a particular amp or cab or effect combination; and NEWBIE = Same as BASIC, with maybe even simpler language, and more recommended usage suggestions?

Embedded context sensitive help right there where you need it! Maybe from a development/maintenance perspective embedded help content would be less desirable than say hyper links to external references, e.g., the wiki or online FAS manual - but even such links would be helpful, even if not as convenient/efficient as having the info right there in a floating pop up.

Anyway, like I said, been thinking about this for a while, thought I'd share in case there's a chance it gets some traction. I think many, especially new users would find it extremely helpful.

If I didn't say previously/elsewhere, big thanks to Cliff and team-FAS for V12 and M@tt et.al. for AE 3 0 3 - sounding and working great!

Best regards,

V

I like your ideas here vestapol.

Logic Pro X has a Quick Help window embedded into the main window that allows you to read a paragraph of what the control is used for. You could take that concept one step further and allow the user to append notes into the Quick Help window for reference purposes, globally or by patch. Just thinking out loud here.

I would really support this idea.

Sorry to say it may force Cliff to slow down with the updates because the documentation would need to change as the controls are altered. If he is like me, "I don't need to stinkin documentation with my brilliant code!" then we are sunk with bad documentation.

Thanks for commenting HWStar. I like the idea of user editable content too.

If nothing else, one could copy and paste choice tidbits from manual, notes, wiki, forum posts etc. After 30 some yrs in IT I've come to really appreciate context-sensitive informative/self-explanatory interfaces, as well as the extra effort and hard work that goes in to making them user friendly.

v

+1

There are so many controls in Axe-Edit, and so many different ways to use them. It would be cool to have context sensitive help based on the highlighted control and a keyboard command. Maybe links to the Wiki and suggestions from FAS. Should be able to hold it all in a SQLite database.

Agree it would take more effort.

::Greg

Back
Top Bottom