Too pleased with the form factor of the AX8 to even think about the FM3

Lopp

Inspired
There is some discussion about this kind of stuff over in the FM3 area and there are a lot of peeps there with good reasons for wanting the FM3 over the AX8. Thus, I don't want to poop on their joy by suggesting that the AX8 is better than the FM3 for some users, so I'll share it with my fellow AX8inators here.

The reason I am too pleased with the form factor of the AX8 to even think about the FM3 is because the biggest reason I got the AX8 after using a Standard for a decade was for ease of use in live situations. Almost everything I need is self-contained. Well, pretty much everything now that I'm not playing Killing in the Name live any more and don't need the expression pedal, although I do miss using it as a wah, but I digress... Personally, I want to be able to plop it down, make minimal attachments, and play. The form factor of the AX8 makes it perfect for that.

Also, I'm not a big tap dancer, as I like to move around the stage, and I want everything as easily accessible as possible, which is why I have little interest in the FM3. The three switches of the FM3 don't cut it for me, especially when I want quick access to more than a couple of presets. Maybe I just got too used to controlling the original Axe-Fx with a Boss GT-8, which gave me instant access to 4 presets and easy switching between banks to access another 4 quickly, but the AX8 has more than the minimum switches I prefer, and the FM3 does not have enough.

As for tonal improvements, I was happy with the Axe-Fx, but do admit the AX8 has some apparent extra sonic qualities, as well as the ability to dial in sounds I like quicker. That being said, if you put me on stage and didn't tell me whether I was playing through the AX8 and Axe-Fx, I couldn't tell you which one I was using while playing along with the band, and I'm sure the same goes for the FM3.

Point being, I am very happy with getting the AX8 because of the form factor, and even more happy that I got it when I did because it is no longer offered new (albeit, that it is always possible to get one used).

I fit in this area for many of the same reasons you mentioned.
Form factor fits perfectly with what I am used to and can't see myself asking more from the unit than it can provide. Key factor there being "what I am used to."
Never say never. The FM3 will ship and eventually be in stock with folks posting vids and use cases. Never know when an "Ah...I want THAT" will come along.

It took me years to get passed MY skepticism of Fractal/ AX 8. Turns out, my skepticism was unwarranted.

Once upon a time, guitar players found the gear that worked well for them and used it for years and years with little pressure to buy the newest, nicest, bestest gear that replaced their obsolete products - mostly because their gear wasn't becoming obsolete. I think that's still possible with computer gear. There is just sincere need for the user to block out any and all outside forces urging them to "upgrade".

I'm 50/50 on which would be preferable to me. Modular systems are attractive to me because if the foot controller went down you could still salvage something either by a backup midi foot controller - or use the FM3's switches. If the FM3 went down .... well you're fooked either way.

If I had an AX8 I'd probably try and hold on to it and buy the FM3/FC6 as well. Both rigs should be small enough to carrry to gigs so you have a backup. Quite a bit of money tied up there obviously - but a bit of peace of mind if you're a gigging guitarist.

I'm sure the FM3 will sound yummy, but yeah, I still love using my AX8. The sounds and the form factor have yet to disappoint. I intend to get a lot more mileage out of mine. Or so I think ;o)

Ditto her with all the above comments, however I’m on the FM3’s waiting list and plan on pulling the trigger for one without the FC6 and intending on keeping both for quite sometime...

Back
Top Bottom