TOO MUCH SSSSSSIZZLE?? HELP PLEASE? GIVE THIS A LISTEN.

schlagdog

Inspired
All the higher gain amps have way too much high end now in V6. I know other people have had the same issue and I can't dial it out. Before everyone tells me to start going through the eq and all that let me tell you I have gone through the entire power amp section and all the parameters in it. I've turned off the presence completely and backed the treble down to almost nothing. Here is a recording of the most basic of patch.
UBER-OwnHammer Recto v30.
Everything on the amp was reset and then just moved to 5. I realize the new amps have all been reworked and won't be the same but that sSSSSSizzle in the first clip will not disappear.
I even picked the Ownhammer cab because it doesn't have a lot of sizzle to it. If I use the stock FAS V30 the sizzle would be 5 times worse than this.
Please give it a listen and just let me know if this is how the new V6 upgrade makes all the amps sound. The Uber isn't even close to the worst. I used it because it was my goto amp and now its just not happening. The 6505, Modern, Das Metal are all actually worse than it is. I'm just trying to figure out if I have a glitch in the software somewhere. I have uninstalled V6 and reinstalled twice already and reset system every time.

The first half is V6 and the second half is V5 with the exact same setting.
All monitored through Mackie 824's.

Last edited:
Sounds about right to me. Only recommendation I'd have is to go into the advanced amp parameters (last tab) and try backing down the hi pass filter. Default is usually around 15-20kHz and while I like some of the extra high end I back it down to at least 12kHz and sometimes as low as 6kHz and it helps IMO.

I am not home anymore. I went back to work. The patch is the UBER and the Ownhammer recto V30. I reset the amp settings the just turned all the controls to 5 on the BASIC parameters front page. There is nothing special about it, it takes 3 seconds to make

Sounds about right to me. Only recommendation I'd have is to go into the advanced amp parameters (last tab) and try backing down the hi pass filter. Default is usually around 15-20kHz and while I like some of the extra high end I back it down to at least 12kHz and sometimes as low as 6kHz and it helps IMO.

That constant SSSSSS sound is about right? I sure hope it isn't.

I'm no high-gain player, but if there's "sizzle" in your recording - then I'm missing it completely.
If you are comparing the first part of the clip with the second, then there appears to be a little more mid in the 1st one, but high end appears about the same.

The first one has less mids and more high highs than the second, so you hear the distortion on top more. Like people have said, try cutting some highs, and maybe finding where the mid frequency is a bit higher in the second recording and boost it in V6.0 if that's the tone you like.

Don't know for sure if it will help, but try backing down the master volume to about 2... maybe lower. I've dropped the master on most of my high gain patches to about half of what it was. It seems like the power amp distortion on ver6 adds some of that sizzle you may be talking about.

Let me also say I'm not monitoring this through some cheap headphones or cheap monitors. I have Mackie 824's and it's really really unbearable through them.

I'm no high-gain player, but if there's "sizzle" in your recording - then I'm missing it completely.
If you are comparing the first part of the clip with the second, then there appears to be a little more mid in the 1st one, but high end appears about the same.

:shock Mister, ya need to do a check on your monitoring and/or ears! ;)

Maybe my ears are off but I like the 1st one better,I'd tweak to my taste, remember the loudness switch on the stereo's,big deference between the two. I do hear what you mean . 2nd one sounds like my ultra.

I recorded many amp models on 5.07 before installing v6. I MUCH prefer the frequency content of 5.07. I really don't understand why all this sizzle had to come...

More midrangey before, which is where guitars usually love to live in a mix. It also gives them more note/tone content.

I've been recording and mixing guitar for a couple of decades...and it just feels awkward and "wrong" to have to remove top end nastiness, rather than add definition up there if needed ;)

V6 has much more realistic power amp modeling though, at least with the Recto models which I was just messing around with. Now you can crank up the master and it sounds like a real amp being pushed too hard. IMHO this is by far the best firmware release since I've been involved (Ultra V10). Personally, I'd rather tame highs than try to add content up there with EQ. To each their own!

Back
Top Bottom