TOO MUCH SSSSSSIZZLE?? HELP PLEASE? GIVE THIS A LISTEN.

thanks for that Adam... I'll have a mess with this stuff..

I've been doing a lot of experiments of my own over the last couple of days..
tried a variety of amp / cab combinations, using different mics... and mic set to none...
jeez the permutations seem almost limitless...

the very high frequency fizz I was experiencing seems to be accentuated by certain amp / cab / mic / EQ combinations...
maybe a better way of putting is... there's a cool driven fizz that provides nice energy to the hi-gain tone.. and one that's not so nice....
it was simply a matter of going through the permutations to find what combinations worked best for me...
and then.. lmao... you throw it all into a band mix and as you'd expect everything changes some more...
it was like doing an 18 sided Rubik Cube... where you'd fix a couple of sides and mess up another.... lol..
someone [in this threat possibly] said something like "post less, play more"... which is why I kinda disappeared for the last few days or so..
well in truth, spending many many hours playing with the Axe and.. erm... also trying to follow the Stanley Cup and the World Hockey Championships.. lol..
but finally.... I think I'm hitting the spot... or getting pretty close...
I'm now getting to the "6.0 is fkn amazing" stage.... it just took me a while to find out how...

I think the thing with the Axe is that it's so huge in terms of what's available, it's real easy to get tonally lost..

A word to any folk out there that may be struggling with tone..
The Axe will almost certainly do what you're looking for.. and do it real good too...
if you're getting lost, keep stripping the preset back to basics and start over with different combinations of amps / cabs / mics [or not] / and EQ

jeez what a journey this has been.... lmao...

As one of the original 'fizz crusaders', I must say that the AFX is the easiest unit to 'nix' any unnatural fizz I have ever used - this really is a non-issue for me...

The main riff is 2 tracks of factory preset 25 (the 6160 preset). Then I changed amp type to Das Metal and changed to a stereo cab type combo of Uber V30 and Uber T75 and did 2 more tracks.

The arpeggio part after the riff ends is just 2 tracks of factory preset 25.

Thanks - its odd how I'm liking amps on the Axe I don't like in real life. And I think it's all down to the cabs.

Out of interest what was the guitar and pickup combo?

I used a PRS SC245 for 2 tracks and a G&L Legacy for 2 more tracks. Not very "metal" guitars at all. But I actually prefer lower output pickups because they seem to "cut" better. If I need more low end I can always EQ that in later.

I know this thread has had the run through but I haven't been here in a while and wanted to comment.

Like some I thought V6 sounded way more open/Better than V5 clip. Yes I would have made changes myself to the preset but overall it sounds much better. I also didn't like the word "sizzle" being used to describe the tone.
Sizzle and AXE-FX just doesn't go together. I think the problem is not tone or this sizzle thing its the end user not diving into this unit and turning knobs IMHO. There is so much to this AX2, really enjoying it.

Funny ,I just got my axeII, with 6.0 ,playing though desk top monitors or head phones and I think the tone is FAT on the presets,I cut the lows and put the amp voicing on bright on some amp?

I was trying out a guitar yesterday at GC and played through a Marshall JVM. I had a hell of a time trying to dial out the sizzle. I had the odds against me. First, I was playing in front of a stack so being on-axis made it too bright. Plus I was playing an Ernie Ball JPX which adds its own brightness. Not a combination that I could make sound good. I find taming the sizzle easier on the AFII.

I'm liking the JVM on the axe but not the real amp. The axe does sound better...a bit less fizz than the real amp.

Thanks for the guitar info Adam. Thought it was a Les Paul from the body in the tone.

This thread's been really helpful. It is not a case that I think there's too much fizz, just I'd like to be able to control it and I think I'm getting there.

I don't have enough time to spend hours tweaking between trying to earn a living and family etc. I'd rather learn a bit from others how to get to where I want quickly, and this forum's been pretty good most of the time. Thanks all.

I'm finding all the fun stuff now....
there's bad fizz and cool fizz....
I just made the transition....

jeez... the Axe is mental... I totally adore it....

Back
Top Bottom