TOO MUCH SSSSSSIZZLE?? HELP PLEASE? GIVE THIS A LISTEN.

awesome advice. thanks. Though I've had success (at least to my ears) with PEQ blocking @ around 14khz

I'd rather cliff leave the sizzle and give us the option to tune it to our liking.

I'm with ya here....

maybe an alternative would be to add something to the power amp, maybe a 1 band para for 'de-fizzing'..
that way you'd not have to consume a PEQ block and needles extra CPU on 'tone fixing'

or possibly add some sort of "smoothing" control that goes from 'realistic' to what you perceive as being 'real nice'.....
ok so it may take you away from the 'purist' amp tone but personally I don't care about any of that...
I don't want to sound exactly like amp X when I think amp X is crap / not my cup o tea...
I just want to sound amazing.. with whatever it takes.. config'd however it needs to hit the 'amazingness' spot..

awesome advice. thanks. Though I've had success (at least to my ears) with PEQ blocking @ around 14khz

so in the interests of science... what did you use:
- amp type=
- amp gain=
-amp master vol=
- cab type=
- mic=

PEQ freq / Q / gain =

it may be worth while creating a sort of de-fizz rule of thumb on a per amp basis and stuff them in the wiki..
or maybe something less formal... just compare notes and collect them in a '6.0 de-fizz thread'
different amp types [and maybe with different cab combinations] will have different freq areas and ranges that fizz up..

Though I'm not the fan of scooped sounds I also prefer the V 6.0 clip.
I can hear what people call fizz but I like it. It sounds closer to the amps I've played. Also, it cuts through a mix.

Thanks AdmiralB. I don't think I've even gotten to the Uber amp yet, and I've had the Axe-Fx II since January!

- Triode 2: set to 8000 for both to de-fizz

I was going to suggest this as well.
I have found this as a quick way to pull some high end sizzle out....

Of course, I actually prefered the first half of his clip (with the V6 sizzle he's hearing).

That sizzle reminds me of my Dual Rec. I know it's the Uber, but that sounds EXACTLY like that high high Mesa Boogie gain on real rectos. If you like it, dig it... if you don't use a different amp, or dial it out. Sounds pretty authentic to me though...

Less sizzle

Hi-
I'm sure you have tried it, but I find an excellent way of helping to control any undesirable sizzley top is the hi resonance control in the speaker page of the amp block. It defaults to around 5.6 ish but by lowering it to 3.5 or so it smooths things out. The lo resonance is great for controlling woofy lows too. The defaults are nice but the controls are very powerful...

Cheers!

so in the interests of science... what did you use:
- amp type=
- amp gain=
-amp master vol=
- cab type=
- mic=

PEQ freq / Q / gain =

it may be worth while creating a sort of de-fizz rule of thumb on a per amp basis and stuff them in the wiki..
or maybe something less formal... just compare notes and collect them in a '6.0 de-fizz thread'
different amp types [and maybe with different cab combinations] will have different freq areas and ranges that fizz up..
I'll post up one of my patches when I get home from work.

Yeah, I noticed the increase in "fizz" too. I love it. The increased fizz is absolutely consistent with my real tube amp. That said, I was messing with v6 parameters in an older version of Axe-Edit (I don't update often) and I noticed that the "Power Tube Gain" parameter (which doesn't seem to be in the current axe-edit) affected the amount of fizz noticeably. Not sure what the current equivalent to this parameter is.

Yeah, I noticed the increase in "fizz" too. I love it. The increased fizz is absolutely consistent with my real tube amp. That said, I was messing with v6 parameters in an older version of Axe-Edit (I don't update often) and I noticed that the "Power Tube Gain" parameter (which doesn't seem to be in the current axe-edit) affected the amount of fizz noticeably. Not sure what the current equivalent to this parameter is.

Power Tube Gain was remapped to Transformer Match.

Tuning HF roll of at the gain stage is more transparent than a single parametric EQ at the end. The slope is shallow and a little here and there just works better than a lot at the end.

guys... I've been doing some experiments regarding all this...

and funnily enough I hit on something that was - at least at the time - quite surprising...
but thinking about it, it's not surprising at all actually...

cab choice....
select the wrong cab with the wrong mix and prox setting against a specific type amp tone and you'll accentuate everything wrong about the tone you're aiming for...

to be honest I should know better......
the very clever Mr Morgan [that makes my guitars] once said
"there's no one thing about tone that makes the difference... it's the sum of all the parts.."

and given that the Axe is emulating the real world... the same rule has to apply....
amp choices... settings on the amp... cab choice... mic choice and proximity....
and that's without guitar / pups choices and other fx....

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
I agree with the Rane when he stated "Yeah, I noticed the increase in "fizz" too. I love it. The increased fizz is absolutely consistent with my real tube amp. " Every tube amp I've played live has had that quality to it. That "fizzle" , imho, is what is missing in a lot of amps today. If you listen to a lot of raw guitar tracks with real tube amps you'll hear that in them as well. The first one sounds like the raw tube amp live and the second sounds like a recorded and mixed version of that same amp. I bet if you put that in a good mix you wouldn't be able to hear the "fizzle".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom